Quantcast

BUMC vs. Tufts-NEMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'd like to stay around the Boston area and was wondering what people know or have heard about these two programs. I'm not competitive enough for BIDMC, BWH, MGH and don't expect to be getting interviews from them.

bariume

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
catMD said:
I'd like to stay around the Boston area and was wondering what people know or have heard about these two programs. I'm not competitive enough for BIDMC, BWH, MGH and don't expect to be getting interviews from them.

There's plenty of things written about these two programs already in the forum. Search and you will see. I would also consider Lahey and Mont Auburn if I were in your shoes.

Maya_RS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you recommend considering Lahey and Mount Auburn? I'm curious because I have interview offers from these two places and am not sure whether I will keep them or not. I've been to scutwork.com but if anyone has any other thoughts, I would appreciate any input on these two programs as well... :)

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to answer the original question; I would say that BUMC is the better program overall, with 3 different hospitals (BUMC, Boston City, W. Roxbury VA-shared with BWH and BIDMC), the oldest primary care track in the country, and the opportunity to serve a really diverse population. However, if you like the idea of doing subspecialty ward rotations beyond Cards; Tufts-NEMC might be a better choice, and NEMC is particularly strong in Nephrology, GI, and ID.

I agree with considering Lahey and Mt. Auburn as well; don't know much about the latter, but Lahey is a program with a strong reputation in New England, and an OK national rep. Their GI and Cards dept. are particularly strong (the former nationally ranked with very high-caliber fellows), and several Harvard med grads have matched at Lahey in the past few years. Although NEMC has the better national reputation; Lahey is well-regarded in the region, has excellent fellowship placements, and people seem to be very pleasant there. I would actually pick Lahey over NEMC myself b/c I had some awful experiences in other depts. at NEMC and have heard that the residents are not that happy at NEMC, but everyone has a different preference.

catMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for the great replies--I guess I'll just have to keep an open mind for the rest of my interviews despite REALLY REALLY wanting to stay in the boston area. has anyone thought about that as a reason for trying to get a particular residency (I'm sure you all have) and when does this outweigh the program--my BF lives in the area. :love:

Maya_RS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input irlandesa!!