Bummed about my prelim spot. For those of you that did hard intern years...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's another good point. Last year when I would leave the hospital, I was done. This year when I leave I usually study for a couple hours more often than not.
I'm impressed you have the energy. I'm usually pretty mentally drained and most of my studying is done on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad.

Intern year sucks, but it's all program dependent. Just to give an update to my post earlier, my last (scheduled) wards call day was this past week and my last (scheduled) wards day is tomorrow. :) Of course I can get pulled from my upcoming electives/clinic to cover for people that call sick or family emergencies so I may have more ward day(s) ahead, but nothing scheduled. Feels great. :) Just got a month of ICU left all year, which is fine because no social work/placement crap there.

Intern year sucks, but it's all program dependent. Just to give an update to my post earlier, my last (scheduled) wards call day was this past week and my last (scheduled) wards day is tomorrow. :) Of course I can get pulled from my upcoming electives/clinic to cover for people that call sick or family emergencies so I may have more ward day(s) ahead, but nothing scheduled. Feels great. :) Just got a month of ICU left all year, which is fine because no social work/placement crap there.

That's awesome. I go ICU, Wards, ER from here on out. It's gonna be a slow three months.

Members don't see this ad :)
woooo 1 month of vacation. Love how my vacation ended up late in the year :D

I hate rounding as much as the next guy, but I hate surgeons more than rounding.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So true. I'll take mindless rounding vs. being treated like horse*** anyday.

I admit patients that I do kypho/vertebro on and uncommonly other procedures. I have to visit and discharge the patients the next day. Also I have to keep my pager on during the night. I am really happy that it is only once a week or at most twice a week for half an hour a day. I would quit medicine if I wanted to do it everyday the whole day.

R1 here. Prelim spots were more competitive than I thought as well, you're not alone.

I may be in the minority, but I feel intern year is important. In my limited experience, classmates who came from tougher internships are stronger in my opinion. Some attendings claim they can tell who had a tough internship versus who coasted through a cush TY.

I find myself constantly using the stuff I learned from internship in relevant rotations like body, chest, and neuro. The more detail-oriented attendings make us read through the chart for almost every case. Being able to put yourself in the place of the primary team upstairs helps you better understand and answer their clinical question.

It'll be a tough year, but like everyone says, it'll be over before you know it! It's human nature to get used to your new environment quickly.

Enjoy the rest of fourth-year :p

Reactions: 1 user
I can't believe that intern year is almost over. I tell you that this year goes faster than you think. It is a means to an end. Just grind it out.

I can't believe that intern year is almost over. I tell you that this year goes faster than you think. It is a means to an end. Just grind it out.

These last 2 months are creeping by for me. Super slow.

I don't want mine to start...

I'm really going to be missing 4th year come July. I haven't done any real work since September.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really going to be missing 4th year come July. I haven't done any real work since September.

Since mid-April, my life has been video games, the gym, and movies/shows. July is going to hit me like a runaway freight train.

I'm done mid-June as I end on 2 weeks of vacation. Just two weeks left in ICU and my in-pt days are over! This year went by really really quick.

Nope, prelim med. But not as bad as some prelim meds are.

Agreed. Some medicine programs can be pretty malignant. Friend of mine tells me about her experiences at her prelim medicine program, and it actully makes me feel happy that I am at my SURGERY program in nyc. Ouch.

Agreed. Some medicine programs can be pretty malignant. Friend of mine tells me about her experiences at her prelim medicine program, and it actully makes me feel happy that I am at my SURGERY program in nyc. Ouch.
Yup, it's like they want to make SURE you hate Internal Medicine before you leave.

Yup, it's like they want to make SURE you hate Internal Medicine before you leave.

"Here is your intern year schedule. Oh wait, you're a prelim? Give that back, I need to make some changes. "

Reactions: 1 users
Not talking about anybody specific. But it is interesting to me, how people who hate and really hate their internship will be IR lovers in 2-3 years. Especially with the new "clinical IR" which you have to act as patient's primary doctor, round daily on patients and have patient contact more than many other fields.

Not talking about anybody specific. But it is interesting to me, how people who hate and really hate their internship will be IR lovers in 2-3 years. Especially with the new "clinical IR" which you have to act as patient's primary doctor, round daily on patients and have patient contact more than many other fields.
Why would anyone who hate their prelim medicine year, hate IR? They aren't anything alike.

I love clinical medicine. I just don't want to start because I am thoroughly enjoying being a waste of space. :p

Before the bombs are dropped, I love a lot of things about all aspects of Medicine. I'm not going to write my personal statement here...

If I were doing radiology back in the day I'm not sure if I'd choose to do a year of medicine prior to radiology, but having done it now I am grateful for the experience and I am convinced it will make me a better radiologist, IR or not.

Intern year was a massive waste of time. End of story.

If I were doing radiology back in the day I'm not sure if I'd choose to do a year of medicine prior to radiology, but having done it now I am grateful for the experience and I am convinced it will make me a better radiologist, IR or not.

Not sure if it will make you a better radiologist, but will certainly keep you from turning back to IM from the long residency and 2 years of fellowship you have coming up.

52dfda9a958ca.jpg

I'll be starting prelim medicine soon. I haven't done any 'real' medicine in almost have a year. Pretty sure I've forgotten everything and I'm slightly worried. Oh well.

I'll be starting prelim medicine soon. I haven't done any 'real' medicine in almost have a year. Pretty sure I've forgotten everything and I'm slightly worried. Oh well.

I'm going to look worse than the medical students.

Last edited:

Nah, don't worry about it. It will all come back to you when you start wards again and there's always a resident/attending around to help. I finished my last ever inpatient shift a couple days ago, but still remember the first patient I pre-rounded on on day 1 like it was yesterday. All you need on day 1 is a Pocketbook of Medicine in your coat, the Medscape eMedicine and Epocrates apps downloaded to your phone, and a stethoscope. Really nothing else needed throughout the year.

Edit: intern year was a waste of time btw.

I'm going to look worse than the medical students.

Same here. They'll be little balls of post-Step 1 enthusiasm and I'm going to be the guy starting a year-long countdown on his phone. I'm sure the first few months are going to be rough.

Same here. They'll be little balls of post-Step 1 enthusiasm and I'm going to be the guy starting a year-long countdown on his phone. I'm sure the first few months are going to be rough.

I tried the countdown app on my phone for a while. But I found myself depressed by constantly looking at a number of days that not only seemed exceedingly high but never seemed to change. I had to delete it.

I tried the countdown app on my phone for a while. But I found myself depressed by constantly looking at a number of days that not only seemed exceedingly high but never seemed to change. I had to delete it.

Good point. Maybe I'll start it the last month of intern year.

4 weeks of intern year left. 4 weeks of nights. :(

But after that I smell the Azaleas in Augusta. :)

I find myself doing that now. I initially started the countdown at 150 days and am now down to 20. I could not be more excited. However, I look at the countdown about 10 times a day now and get frustrated because it hardly changes. The best was when I would go a few days without looking at it and then there's a huge drop, but those days are long gone now.

I made it my goal during my internship to reward the non-kiss ass medical students with "Honors" who genuinely try to help and were nice people. I pretty much told them at the end they were getting Honors, but I sat down with them on what they should try to improve on in future rotations esp. some that won't be as "nice" as IM.

I made it my goal during my internship to reward the non-kiss ass medical students with "Honors" who genuinely try to help and were nice people. I pretty much told them at the end they were getting Honors, but I sat down with them on what they should try to improve on in future rotations esp. some that won't be as "nice" as IM.

Like maybe.. surgery? :vamp: *rubs hands*

My prelim makes me do clinic. I counted down my time left by the clinic days. Made it much more palatable. I also rolled 2 of my weeks to the end for moving. So, I have 2 weeks of nights and am done...finally.

DON'T LET JUNE END. IF THERE IS A GOD...HE WON'T LET JUNE END!!!

6 days of clinic left and it's over. :) Btw, my countdown was in my head entire year. My categorical medicine buddies would ask how I'm doing in the halls during wards and I'd always respond with "great! only got X weeks and X days left!" and they couldn't believe I have been able to keep track so well. Countdown has been going pretty quick btw.

Chief medical officer here would always ask me how much time I had left. I usually responded along the lines, "I love medicine far too much to keep a countdown of the 7 weeks, 4 clinic days and 12 night float shifts before I'm done."

2 more weeks until its over for me :)

My program let me out on the 18th, but I'm in the ED almost every day until then. Kill me now

382 days and counting.