Bummed Out Waiting for Responses Post-Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Join the club.

So far I've interviewed at a few places, was waitlisted at one, expect to get waitlisted at another one, and have not heard from the rest. It's such a crappy feeling to feel like you're doing your best to present yourself to schools and it's just not good enough. I'm really disappointed in the waitlist decision that I'm expecting. I had such a great interview there. Sometimes I wonder why I'm even invited to interview if they're going to end up waitlisting/rejecting me.

Sorry, just venting a bit. Plus I interviewed today at a school that I thought I'd like but ended up hating.

There's a school that should be getting back to me in a few weeks that I'd love to attend. If I end up getting another waitlist or a rejection I don't know how I'll be able to handle it . Wonder if I'll even get in this cycle; I absolutely do not want to go through this process again.

Please feel free to share your experiences if you feel similarly.

As for those of you who are already accepted, congratulations! There are so many people on this board who I admire, you guys really are great and will make excellent physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

i find out next week from three schools. so far i have only been rejected from the twenty that i have applied to, but i still have one interview left and two to schedule for next year.

anyways, i just hope for the best. i had a lot of fun at my interviews and i hope that was noticed. medicine is important but being able to relax and get things done properly is more important. i hope the best for you.

Join the club.

So far I've interviewed at a few places, was waitlisted at one, expect to get waitlisted at another one, and have not heard from the rest. It's such a crappy feeling to feel like you're doing your best to present yourself to schools and it's just not good enough. I'm really disappointed in the waitlist decision that I'm expecting. I had such a great interview there. Sometimes I wonder why I'm even invited to interview if they're going to end up waitlisting/rejecting me.

Sorry, just venting a bit. Plus I interviewed today at a school that I thought I'd like but ended up hating.

There's a school that should be getting back to me in a few weeks that I'd love to attend. If I end up getting another waitlist or a rejection I don't know how I'll be able to handle it . Wonder if I'll even get in this cycle; I absolutely do not want to go through this process again.

Please feel free to share your experiences if you feel similarly.

As for those of you who are already accepted, congratulations! There are so many people on this board who I admire, you guys really are great and will make excellent physicians.

Definitely feel you. You said everything I'm feeling and this counts among the most stressful period of time I've ever gone through. I mean, studying for the MCAT was tough, but almost rewarding in a way, since I felt like it was under my control how much I studied, and therefore how much I improved. Planning to take my pre-reqs and following through while working was also tough, but again it was a matter of just buckling down and working hard.

This process of interviewing and waiting, however, is worse. All the uncertainty, angst, self-doubt... it seems like everything comes to a peak at these moments of waiting for judgement. And waiting. And waiting. What's the hold up schools ??

So far, one school I'm on a semi-wait list type thing and may hear back in a few months... or not :(. Another school supposedly is going to inform me of the decision by the end of this month. I've got one interview in queue for Feb. Still have tons of schools that haven't gotten back to me yet... ~5 on pre-interview holds... I'm hoping at least 1 of those will pan out and possibly offer me an interview at the last minute. If I end up w/ 4 interviews or so, that gives a pretty good chance at gaining 1 acceptance, one would think ? Maybe ? I envy those of you with the half dozen or more interviews who already hold multiple acceptances.

Sigh. Guess there's nothing I can do but keep trying. Good luck to everyone. :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate waiting. I wish they would just reject me rather than waiting months and months. The school that I've liked the most so far won't get back to me until January with a decision. I tried to convince myself that January wasn't so far away (interviewed in Novemeber) but it is!!!!! I'm lucky enough to have an acceptance but man oh man the waiting is rough.

I feel you. At the earliest, I won't know what my options are until March at the earliest.... I know its not the same, because I have an acceptance, but its still annoying to be trying to consider the pros and cons of schools that I very likely won't get acceptances to.

Yea, I feel you guys.

I've been interviewing a lot, and really feel that rejections post-interview hurt a whole lot more than rejections post-secondary. It's really hard not to take it personally.

Also, it's just so hard to keep your cool especially during this month. I am waiting to hear back from 4 schools, and I feel like I am about to explode any minute! Please no one ask me "So did you get in X school??" anymore!

I feel you. Three responses so far, three waitlists. It's absolutely soul-crushing. I've basically lost any and all confidence in myself when it comes to this process. Especially when the interviews seemingly went great. I still need to hear back from five other schools, but, really, the only thought going through my mind is that if I wasn't good enough for these three, and my interviews were about the same caliber and quality everywhere, what chance do I have?

Blah.

I think I'll go write three LOIs.

This process ****ing sucks.

Ugh waiting sucks... but hang in there guys (and gals). It's not over until everything is final at the last school. This cycle is no where near finished & you are not alone in your pain. I know it sucks now but imagine how good it will feel when you finally hear good news? Good things come to those who wait (and work hard). Have faith! Hang in there everybody!

You know, I'm starting to wonder if maybe schools are waitlisting more than usual this year because of the insane number of early applications they had. I'd think they'd be particularly cautious with the early acceptances, since they probably just don't know how the later applications are going to be, and how many there are. They probably don't want to just have a full class by February and not give the later interviewees a shot in hell.

Waiting sucks hardcore.

Its been five weeks since my last interviews. They both said it would take 4-6 weeks for a decision. I've been checking my e-mail 5 or so times a day for the last couple weeks.

Both interviews went well and I'm confident I'll get into at least one, but the waiting is excruciating.

I like how everyone is "feeling" each other:laugh::p

I'm sure everyone in this thread will get in somewhere! Keep holding on!:luck::thumbup:

I feel the same thing!! check out my other thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=585139

25 schools: 5 rejections, 2 interviews (1 waitlist, i'm still waiting for the other one), and still nothing for 18 schools.

This whole process is so mentally draining that my grades this quarter is the lowest of my whole college career. I really don't wanna go through this process again but if I didn't get in anywhere, I'll defitenly wait at least 2 years before reapplying.

Has anyone been rejected post-interview or do they pretty much just accept/waitlist?

Has anyone been rejected post-interview or do they pretty much just accept/waitlist?

At this point, because it is still early in the acceptance cycle, the options post interview are accept, waitlist or nothing. The rejections issued at this point usually come pre-interview. If you haven't heard anything at all and you are post-interview, you are still "in the running".

After March, the post-interview rejections will start to go out in larger numbers and after May, most schools have filled their classes so they start to reject the people that they know will not be a good fit.

It's the middle of December and most schools are going into hiatus for winter recess. Do some shopping, take some time off and chill. Not much is going to happen until after the first week in January. That first January admissions meeting is always a long one because of the break. Right now, the holiday parties are happening and not much work is getting done.