Bumping Up Score Post 10s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I really hope I don't get flamed for this thread, but I'm wondering, for those of you who are consistently scoring above a 10 in each section, what are you doing to continue seeing increases in your score? On my last two practice exams (TPR 4931 and AAMC 9), I received a 31 and 32 respectively (with just a one point increase in bio). Since my science GPA is on the very low side, I'd like to edge up in the sciences a bit more. Any tips on going from the 10/11 to 12/13 range at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been keeping track of what kind of mistakes you're making? What helped me was I realized I was making stupid ******ed careless (math computation, not paying attention to units, etc) mistakes and eliminating those bumped me up 2 points.

Which section are mostly concerned with?

That's good advice. I've just been trying to cut down on stupid errors, like not reading the questions and choices.

Also, compare only across companies. Don't jugde your AAMC with your Kaplan's etc.

My plan is to hit my weak physiology spots and keep reviewing. But if you are scoring 10+, the base knowledge is there, the minor details are now key.

Hmm. I guess I don't have a particular section I'm worried about since my scores are roughly equal in each section lately, but I would definitely like to see 12's in each section for the test to offset my science GPA. I think my biggest problem is rushing through and not reading the questions fully for some verbal/bio questions and not thinking more about the physical science questions/bio questions that I don't know cold. I get to a question that seems foreign and instead of taking the time to dissect it, I quickly answer and move on. I also make stupid math mistakes in the physical sciences and while memorizing the formulas (and getting more comfortable in the section in general - physics is my enemy) moved me up from the 7/8 range to the 10/11 range), I'd like to see that bump up a tiny bit higher. How did you guys convince yourselves to slow down/quit making careless mistakes? I tend to have 5-10 extra minutes for the physical sciences section and upwards of 25-30 extra minutes for the bio section.

I fear comparing any of my scores just gives me a sinusoidal-esque curve (Ranging from 27 to 32). Still, I'm hoping that my most recent scores show I've made some process and not just that the tests I'm taking have gotten easier (TPR 4911 versus TPR 4931 for example).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem. I feel as though my only limiting factor to getting 13's in bio and ps is careless errors. Usually, before even looking at the answers, i can figure out where i screwed up. Its the worst feeling, because it feels as though its inevitable that I'll make stupid mistakes. But, if I can just cut down on 2-3 questions, it'll raise me to a 13!! AAAAHHHH.

But, on the move from 10 to a 12, i did notice something. You are finishing early, which is what I do too. Once you've finished all the questions, you are more relaxed and more in the groove of things, so go back to difficult or tricky questions and look at them again. Everytime I do this, i ALWAYS have to change the answers to 2 or 3 questions, because I find something simple that I didnt notice before.

So, basic point is, make good use of that extra time you have.

For me I started scoring 11's in each section and didn't improve past that. To break through your plateau you need to push you comfort zone. Study the stuff you hate to study and do LOTS of practice and review your errors. A lot of the test is strategy so start to think about that as the test approaches.

stiffany, I would go back to your old exams or start making a log of errors with any full lengths you plan to take in the future. That really helped me a lot. I can easily look and see how many careless errors, miscomprehension of question, or content errors I made. I convinced myself to slow down by seeing my "adjusted" score. If I had just paid a bit more attention! :laugh:

Also, you mentioned TPR exams, have you tried doing the PS or BS in the A-D book? The in-class compendium is also a great resource and in my classes we didn't get to all the passages.

If it's been awhile since you did some of your old full lengths, I would go and retake them to see if I really learned from my errors.

Strategy is key too. Do you know how to answer questions that come with a super funky passage? By the judge of your scores, you've got a great handle on the basic concepts! My teacher told me that 13 and up comes with being able to logically think through questions. He said memorizing everything isn't a guarantee for a 45.

I hope any of that helps.

What do you advise to do on verbal. I seem to do ok and only miss 1-2 ques per passage on ones I understand but I do TERRIBLE on philosophical ones. Any advice on how to improve this? I usually get 11-5-11, and that is what I got last year on the mcat and I hope this is that last time I have to retake it!!

Thanks,
Ash

superwillis said:
I have the same problem. I feel as though my only limiting factor to getting 13's in bio and ps is careless errors. Usually, before even looking at the answers, i can figure out where i screwed up. Its the worst feeling, because it feels as though its inevitable that I'll make stupid mistakes. But, if I can just cut down on 2-3 questions, it'll raise me to a 13!! AAAAHHHH.

But, on the move from 10 to a 12, i did notice something. You are finishing early, which is what I do too. Once you've finished all the questions, you are more relaxed and more in the groove of things, so go back to difficult or tricky questions and look at them again. Everytime I do this, i ALWAYS have to change the answers to 2 or 3 questions, because I find something simple that I didnt notice before.

So, basic point is, make good use of that extra time you have.

Ashkahn said:
What do you advise to do on verbal. I seem to do ok and only miss 1-2 ques per passage on ones I understand but I do TERRIBLE on philosophical ones. Any advice on how to improve this? I usually get 11-5-11, and that is what I got last year on the mcat and I hope this is that last time I have to retake it!!

Buy the EK 101 verbal book, work through them, but more importantly, make sure you are reading the explanation for EVERY question, even the ones you got right. I think the hardest part about verbal is trying to use a different approach - you have to make yourself read different, which is hard when you're so used to reading normally.

Verbal is such a hard subject to prepare for, I wish I knew better ways of preparing or concrete strategies to maximizing my score, but in truth there really aren't any. Strategies won't substitute for good reading comp. skills, but they can help.