Burn out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dsmoody23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how you guys deal with this.

This semester is kicking my ass. It's not that anything is harder than anything in the past, I'm juts kind of burnt out. I've been feeling about half a step behind for the last 3 months. I'm already set to take a minor GPA hit, which isn't a huge deal, but I'm more worried about the overall trend.

I've been going non-stop for the last 3+ years. Summer classes, winter classes, school and work, with a long weekend between one thing and the next, if I'm lucky. My last vacation was in 2006. I know this isn't a unique situation, so I'm curious how you guys got around it, and back to normal.

Taking a break isn't in the cards until early next year. Gimme some strategies to combat the 'F*ck it' disease.

images

Members don't see this ad.

This semester is kicking my ass. It's not that anything is harder than anything in the past, I'm juts kind of burnt out. I've been feeling about half a step behind for the last 3 months. I'm already set to take a minor GPA hit, which isn't a huge deal, but I'm more worried about the overall trend.

I've been going non-stop for the last 3+ years. Summer classes, winter classes, school and work, with a long weekend between one thing and the next, if I'm lucky. My last vacation was in 2006. I know this isn't a unique situation, so I'm curious how you guys got around it, and back to normal.

Taking a break isn't in the cards until early next year. Gimme some strategies to combat the 'F*ck it' disease.

images

Honestly, I just try to step away from it for a day. On a weekend if I can go somewhere pretty and hike. Maybe hang out with a friend and vent. That tends to restart me. Or the one I find the best is I spend the day just cleaning my room and throwing stuff out. When my room is spotless and everything is organized, I feel better. Like clean and clear area equals clear head.

Spring semester-itis. It's a pandemic disease with no known cure. Preventative measures involve "free time" and "hobbies" but will only reduce the severity of clinical signs, not prevent the disease itself.

That said, I HATE spring semester. They always drag on forever, my grades are always worse than the fall semester, and I have a serious lack of motivation. Dragging myself through by sheer force, but its definitely taking a toll on me. Played hooky three days this week, and that doesn't even help all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring semester-itis. It's a pandemic disease with no known cure. Preventative measures involve "free time" and "hobbies" but will only reduce the severity of clinical signs, not prevent the disease itself.

That said, I HATE spring semester. They always drag on forever, my grades are always worse than the fall semester, and I have a serious lack of motivation. Dragging myself through by sheer force, but its definitely taking a toll on me. Played hooky three days this week, and that doesn't even help all that much.

Yeah. I took a personal day this week, which didn't help at all. Ended up just feeling more behind, for a totally negligible mental health bonus.

Bleh.

mental health days. i.e. take a break and ignore it all no matter how much you need to get done. i also try not to look too far into the future because it just makes me want it all the more. it is currently killing me to know i have 30 days left (and at the same time it's reminding me that the horror story roommate situation is nearly over)

Totally know what you mean. Give yourself breaks in-between things you need to get done (i.e. go to the gym between your classes, watch a TV show between class and hw, etc). It helps to have that break and makes it easier to focus on the things you need to get done. Also, plan a fun weekend thing on a weekend that you know will be free. It will motivate you to get your studying/work done so that you can enjoy that weekend, and it will give you something to look forward to. Stay strong!

This "disease" is one of the reasons why I am taking a year off.
It's so bad that I wouldn't know how I would deal if I had gotten accepted to vet school for the fall.
Personally, I find that "getting away from everything" for a day/weekend just fuels my procrastination. It seems to be that the only way I can get stuff done is if I surrounded myself by highly motivated people who are interested in studying with me.

With that, I am off to get dressed, eat, and cram for an exam I have this afternoon in a subject that I really don't care about.

I have always loved school, but towards the end of undergrad I was sooooooooooooooooooo ready to be DONE! So much that I didn't even want to think about vet school or a graduate program, or anything school related. I thought I'd never want to go to school again. My life was school for the first 18 years and I was ready for something different.

My last year, I had most of my requirements done for graduation, I just needed more credits, so I signed up for a few fun classes (I know a little late for you to do that) and that's what got me through. I did photography in the fall, which I loved and then in the spring I took Trying science the study of birds because one of my favorite professors was teaching it. It was a class for non-science majors to introduce them to science and birds. I found out that I LOVE birdwatching and have learned there are so many birds out there right in my backyard that I never knew about. We had lots of field trips to go birding and I have continued bird watching and actually tomorrow is the first bird walk of the spring at the metroparks where I volunteer and my professor for trying science and her husband (who is also a science professor and is my favorite all time professor) lead the bird walk. That class provided me the credits I needed and also an outlet to get out of the rut of studying non-stop. It provided opportunities to get out there and learn by experience, not reading about stuff in books. I already knew all the science info. I just had to learn my birds, and I loved that part.

It's kinda late to sign up for classes that you'll enjoy this semester, but if you do have more classes to take next year, it's something to consider. I was all study all the time before and those classes had requirements that had to be fulfilled to get a good grade but were requirements that made you get out and do something different.

After I graduated I took 5 years off before I could even consider the possibility of going back to school as a vet. Went back and took the rest of my pre-reqs. and have found that I love school again and am ready for another 4 years. Probably not what you wanna hear, but I don't regret the break at all. I needed it to get out there, experience life and know what I really want to do.

I don't think burn out can be cured by a one and done mental health day, unfortunately. It needs to be a bigger change over a longer period of time, at least for me. If you're so busy you can't really take up a hobby but is there a way you can fit something new/different and low key into your schedule? Run with the dog every night or read a BS book instead of a textbook once a week, something you can add into your schedule without wanting to scream with the busyness. I've been working out at lunch since November and it's helped me keep an even keel and burn off some of the stress. Good luck!

Vacation? What is this strange word?? I don't know if I understand the meaning...

I'm sorry to say that returning to 'baseline' is sadly out of the question until you're done punishing yourself. I did the same thing... 6-10 credits a semester, summer classes, 55+ hour a week job, etc. Add to the fun that my work schedule was Saturday through Wednesday for those three and half years. Thus, in essence, I NEVER had a day off. It really sucked. So, I know there comes a point where you just want to crack. I personally didn't think I was ever going to recover; but found a way to at least take the edge off. The first thing I did was ensure that I could take the spring break week at school off from work. This gave me a week in the middle that I could just catch up on some sleep, get ahead on 'life', and get my act together for the rest of the year.

While in school, make sure that you have at least one day a week where you can do next to nothing academically. I chose my day to be Friday. I ensured I had nothing academically related after 12noon (if at all possible) so I could take the rest of the day to put the books aside, clean my apartment, get groceries or simply veg out. I found that having those few hours each week to help me recharge and put my life in order were really helpful. If I had everything peripheral taken care of, I had less to stress about during the rest of the weekly mayhem.

As for the upcoming summer sessions, you'll no doubt have a week or so between finals and the start of the summer session. Put the books away and allow your mind to wander to wherever it wants to and/or get things in order. Take a mental break, and perhaps put in for a day off so you can have a long weekend.

At the end of the day, you simply have to find what works best for you. Most of all, remember, you're doing this to yourself for a reason - it's what you WANT to do. Best of luck; and don't let 'em get ya!! :luck:

Spring semester-itis.

More like spring semester-DIC! Mere inflammation is not strong enough to describe how this semester is killing me. Though I have other stuff going on (over Spring Break I found out my dad has angiosarcoma, Stage 4, and his prognosis is months at most.)

I think the best way to deal with it is find something you enjoy and schedule that - then stick to it. If you like to read, plan time for a chapter every night or a book over the weekend. If you like to hike, schedule a couple hours every other weekend.

If you are getting burnt out 1st and 2nd year of vet school, I think getting some real animal time helps. It makes you remember that although this sucks, there is something better and that's what comes at the end.

Only a few more weeks til summer! You can do it!

I don't think burn out can be cured by a one and done mental health day, unfortunately. It needs to be a bigger change over a longer period of time, at least for me. If you're so busy you can't really take up a hobby but is there a way you can fit something new/different and low key into your schedule? Run with the dog every night or read a BS book instead of a textbook once a week, something you can add into your schedule without wanting to scream with the busyness. I've been working out at lunch since November and it's helped me keep an even keel and burn off some of the stress. Good luck!

I'm going to second this one. A one and done mental health day never does anything for me. I finally got my burn-out and stress under control by making it a point to stop working at a certain time each night no matter what I had left, do something enjoyable for 30-45 minutes, and then go to bed. It took awhile to adjust to, but now I find that I'm more effective and work faster when I am working on things, I stay caught up 90% of the time, and I have almost no sense of burn-out other than the normal "9 class days until finals and then summer break is here" expectations.

We had a meeting about job burnout at my workplace a while ago and this is one of the resources we were pointed to for help with preventing/recovering from burnout:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/burnout_signs_symptoms.htm

I know it's for job burnout, not school, but I think a lot of the principles are the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it took me an entire week of doing absolutely nothing school or research or vet med related to get enough steam to finish out this year. I hadn't taken any time completely off since before I started graduate school in September 2008 prior to this past week. Last summer I worked in my old lab to finish up my thesis from the time we finished spring quarter first year to the time we started fall quarter second year, and for my two weeks "off" I did a clinical rotation in our NNS service which is kind of the opposite of time off, haha.

So yeah, between winter quarter and spring quarter this year, first week of this month, I did literally nothing. Took my dog out a lot, played tons of hockey, reffed for cash, and honestly the beginning of this quarter was the first time I felt ready to go back since I started, and despite having a much higher course load this quarter I am not finding it difficult to keep up at all because of that attitude I had coming in.

I'm happy this thread was created because I feel like throwing in the towel. I need a break but do not see one in my future :(

My situation would be bearable if I had support. No one seems to get why I'm tired and stressed all the time. It got so bad that Friday morning I was ready to get on a plane, go somewhere warm, and give up everything. Instead I pulled another 12 hour working day :rolleyes:

I need to make some big changes after exams or I'm not making it through the summer. Work less if possible, ditch unsupportive leeches, and get back into exercising; that's my plan.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. Between my sophmore and junior year I was going to summer school and working at two vet clinics. I would work around 20-25 hours/week at each clinic while going to school (it was only 4 credits) but I was so tired at the end of each day that I had to push myself to study. Then my junior year of undergrad I was working 30-35 hours/week at a vet clinic while taking 18 credits/semester; I also kept up a regular work out routine and study schedule. I thought I was going to die by the time senior year rolled around. So my senior year I was able to take a bunch of "fun" classes and significantly drop the number of credit hours I was taking. It was a nice little "break" but I still didn't want to study or do anything for those classes. At that point, I was DONE.

Now that I have had two years off from school, I am still burnt out. I am sick of working. The last two months I was getting around 50 hours/week and the clinc had been super busy/understaffed so I felt like I was being run into the ground. I am just sick of clients being jerks (seems like the techs/receptionists get the brunt of their complaints), I am running out of patience for clients' excuses as to why Fluffy wants to kill me, I am sick of Fluffy trying to kill me. I need a vacation. This has happened to me before and usually a good week or so vacation is enough to refresh the batteries. So, I have scheduled some time off next month.

I have discovered that taking time for yourself can really help with burn out; even if it is only 30 minutes each day. Just take some time to do something that will make you happy. It is amazing how much it can improve your attitude. And if you are able to take some fun classes next semester, go for it!

I went straight from a PhD program working 60+ hrs a week, with 2x vacations in 6 years into vet school. I certainly feel your burn out, especially in these spring semesters.

What are your plans for this summer? I find that just switching things up and getting out the classroom (and away from exams and studying constantly) is a really nice refresher. I personally did research last summer and it's just so different from the life of a student, and also so familiar, it was a nice break for me. This summer I'm doing a lab animal externship that I think will be really interesting.

Whatever you do in the summer, slow yourself down. You can work 40hrs a week still but take your weekends off. Go out and enjoy the nice weather at lunch times and when you get off of work. Go sit outside somewhere nice and drink. Go to the mall.

i think just taking the time to feel like a normal human being again is really important. I don't do it during school and so here I am in March of every year literally crawling towards the finish line, but I just keep in my mind "it's only one/two more month(s). I can do it. I can do anything for a month" and the time goes by.

We'll be done with school soon, and no matter what you do for the summer (as long as it isn't sitting in more classes) it will be enough of a break to refresh you for the next year.

this is the hardest part of every year. But we can do it!

Just keep swimming and don't go belly up ;)

Everyone's in the same boat. The overall trend my classmates and I have noticed seems to be better grades in the beginning and a slow coast to a plateau that each person comes to accept. 2nd year has been a humbling experience.

As others have suggested, take some "me" time for everyday. With the exception of exam periods, I watch at least one tv show every single day right after class. It gives me 20-45 mins where I can turn my brain off and relax before I start studying or whatever. When it's nice out I like to go for a walk (in addition to tv lol).

Also, switching between only work or only school helps me a lot (though I know this isn't possible for many people). I don't work during the school year, only during the summer. Right now there's 1 week left of exams and I'm dying to start work and not have to do anything after I come home from work/constantly study. By the time summer ends, I'm dying to start school again because work is too mind-numbingly repetitive and I'm bored after work/on the weekends haha. It's nice to trade between school and work because they both seem like a "break" after months of the same thing (I'm easily bored).

What always helped me was to disappear into the woods for a day. No books. No music. No people. No phone. Just me and nature and God.

And if I failed to fit that in until I completely burned out, then I would just vege out on the couch with netflix and junk food.

And I never touched ANY work during my spring break except for fun novels from my liberal arts class. Give me spring break homework? Expect me to get a zero. Period.

I also get outside every day skiing, running, or walking in the hopes vitamin D will boost my mood. I crashed and burned every spring, but I always drug myself out of it within a few weeks so my grades never reflected it. Not sure how well this will work in vet school where taking a few weeks off is grade suicide...

I went straight from a PhD program working 60+ hrs a week, with 2x vacations in 6 years into vet school. I certainly feel your burn out, especially in these spring semesters.

Pretty much sums up my life right now. I'm defending my PhD on July 25th and start vet school on August 23rd. I'm happy that I have a few weeks in between, but honestly feel like I could use a year off.

More like spring semester-DIC! Mere inflammation is not strong enough to describe how this semester is killing me. Though I have other stuff going on (over Spring Break I found out my dad has angiosarcoma, Stage 4, and his prognosis is months at most.)

I'm so sorry :( I lost a high school friend to angiosarcoma march of last year. All cancer is terrible, but that one seems to be even more terrible than most. Hang in there, and if you need someone to talk to, sent me a message.

Going non-stop for about 8 years :thumbdown: with the occasional small break now and then, but nothing that actually fixed the burnout.

The few things that helped me cope were finding creative outlets. Try something you've always wanted to do. Maybe take a fun class (dance, art, cooking, yoga). Invest time in something completely unrelated to school. But if indeed you're too busy for even that, my only other suggestion would be exercise. Burns off the stress and makes you feel a little better.

I agree with other posters who say that a "one and done" relaxation day doesn't seem to help. The issue is comprehensive life stress, and that (for me) can't be fixed by one day away from school. That's like putting a band-aid on a DIC bleed out. Nice sentiment but doesn't fix the bigger picture.

Honestly, I'm so completely burnt out. 4th year has eradicated my free time for any of the stress reliving things I usually do so it's been worse than usual. Thankfully it's almost over. After that I'm taking an extended break. No medicine, no lectures, nothing. :love:

If your school has a counselor, consider having a chat with them. The vet school here has counselors available for that very thing - burnout is actually quite a common phenomenon. They can help you get a different perspective on the situation and may have other helpful recommendations.

Sometimes you have to be realistic about what you can and cannot do...how many hours are in the day...and what is REALLY going to benefit you in the long run. If the situation is temporary...then just push through it but if logically nothing about the circumstances that are pushing you over the edge are going to be different without your serious intervention...its time for a SERIOUS INTERVENTION...as much as people say "oh anything is possible" -- it sometimes isn't, and beating yourself up about it only makes it worse. Humans need sleep, some amount of money, and to smile every once in a while. No one knows your options better than you...but think outside of the box, and if you are anything like me learn to swallow your pride and ask for help (if this could help).

My personal situation...as a Junior in college, in the course of about six months I ended my relationship with my sons father, was enrolled full time in school, working at a vet clinic in the afternoons, working as a bartender 3-4 nights a week until 3am, had a roommate ditch me (who was suppose to help out with other half of the rent for the 3 bedroom house I had with my ex), and all the while try to raise the person I made only a year earlier...I was failing, as a mother, a student, and probably a person in general about five months into all this...so I swallowed my pride, quit the bartending job, took out a loan from my grandma to get through the semester and could figure it out, broke my lease (after asking for help from my landlord who more than understood after I explained), moved into a place 1/2 the amount of rent...and got my head above water. My outlook about life and school did a complete 180 in that 6 months.

If the problem is serious...then get serious about dealing with it...like I said, if pushing through is not an option then figure out how to change something. Best of luck to you!

I'm certainally no help but this post made me want to say something. I wasn't pursuing being a veterinarian , I was gonna be a food technologist, but this year I was three years into my undergrad and I lost my financial aid. I also started having health problems that were making it hard to concentrate on anything complicated longer than a couple minutes. Before the semester started I dropped down to one class, the one that was hardest to get into: my introductory chemistry class. Went the first day and it turned out the teacher was a total jerk who wanted to make the class way more stressful than it needed to be and who is someone who will look for any reason to drop you. I said the heck to dealing with him and I've now quit college. I have a new boyfriend now (well he's not so new but I haven't posted on SDN in forever) and we're fairly sure we want to get married (not yet though, next year sometime). So I'm thinking what I might end up being is a housewife that makes a little extra cash for the household. I can program and I've been working on my programming skills because there's people who will pay to have web games and stuff coded for them. I've also been practicing training dogs and learning about stuff related to running training classes in hopes I could do something eventually. Hey, it's better than sitting on my butt and expecting Steve to just take care of me. And at least I'm not racking up debt. I have NO debt so that's good.

Last edited:
I'm certainally no help but this post made me want to say something. I wasn't pursuing being a veterinarian , I was gonna be a food technologist, but this year I was three years into my undergrad and I lost my financial aid. I also started having health problems that were making it hard to concentrate on anything complicated longer than a couple minutes. Before the semester started I dropped down to one class, the one that was hardest to get into: my introductory chemistry class. Went the first day and it turned out the teacher was a total jerk who wanted to make the class way more stressful than it needed to be and who is someone who will look for any reason to drop you. I said the heck to dealing with him and I've now quit college. I have a new boyfriend now (well he's not so new but I haven't posted on SDN in forever) and we're fairly sure we want to get married (not yet though, next year sometime). So I'm thinking what I might end up being is a housewife that makes a little extra cash for the household. I can program and I've been working on my programming skills because there's people who will pay to have web games and stuff coded for them. I've also been practicing training dogs and learning about stuff related to running training classes in hopes I could do something eventually. Hey, it's better than sitting on my butt and expecting Steve to just take care o
f me. And at least I'm not racking up debt. I have NO debt so that's good.

I don't mean to be rude, but I dont get the point of your post. Was it meant for the rant thread? It sounds like to have been led down a new path that you are choosing to follow... So maybe the rave thread??

I'm certainally no help but this post made me want to say something. I wasn't pursuing being a veterinarian , I was gonna be a food technologist, but this year I was three years into my undergrad and I lost my financial aid. I also started having health problems that were making it hard to concentrate on anything complicated longer than a couple minutes. Before the semester started I dropped down to one class, the one that was hardest to get into: my introductory chemistry class. Went the first day and it turned out the teacher was a total jerk who wanted to make the class way more stressful than it needed to be and who is someone who will look for any reason to drop you. I said the heck to dealing with him and I've now quit college. I have a new boyfriend now (well he's not so new but I haven't posted on SDN in forever) and we're fairly sure we want to get married (not yet though, next year sometime). So I'm thinking what I might end up being is a housewife that makes a little extra cash for the household. I can program and I've been working on my programming skills because there's people who will pay to have web games and stuff coded for them. I've also been practicing training dogs and learning about stuff related to running training classes in hopes I could do something eventually. Hey, it's better than sitting on my butt and expecting Steve to just take care of me. And at least I'm not racking up debt. I have NO debt so that's good.

Yeah. I'm definitely not sure how this relates to this thread... or really... this forum.

Not trying for the d*ck move, I just honestly don't get it.

We were talking about burning out on school so I shared my experience.

But now that I think about it...why do I even try >.< I'm too sensitive to enjoy forums. Forget I was here.

Last edited:
One thought for DSMOODY:

Do you think perhaps that part of the problem could be your own urgency to rush to get things completed as soon as possible. I know you want to achieve your goal quickly, but perhaps letting it take an extra year wouldn't be such a bad thing. Then you could take some time off. Unless you are starving, most everyone can afford time off. Instead of taking classes in the summer, you could just work and enjoy the nights and weekends like one person said.

Or you could even drive to a nice location. Then in the fall you could go back to killing yourself. 1 year in a long life is not going to matter so much financially, but if you lose your mental health, you may never achieve your goals, and even if you do, was it worth all that extra stress.

I am not criticizing you, I am just asking you to think about it for a bit.

Of course, for those already in vet school, maybe that advice doesn't apply as much, but I see you can also choose to work hard in summer or take it easier. In my mind mental health is more important than the perfect resume. If you are more relaxed you will get a better job. Employers want people they can work with.

One thought for DSMOODY:

Do you think perhaps that part of the problem could be your own urgency to rush to get things completed as soon as possible. I know you want to achieve your goal quickly, but perhaps letting it take an extra year wouldn't be such a bad thing. Then you could take some time off. Unless you are starving, most everyone can afford time off. Instead of taking classes in the summer, you could just work and enjoy the nights and weekends like one person said.

Or you could even drive to a nice location. Then in the fall you could go back to killing yourself. 1 year in a long life is not going to matter so much financially, but if you lose your mental health, you may never achieve your goals, and even if you do, was it worth all that extra stress.

Of course, for those already in vet school, maybe that advice doesn't apply as much, but I see you can also choose to work hard in summer or take it easier. In my mind mental health is more important than the perfect resume. If you are more relaxed you will get a better job. Employers want people they can work with.

Yeah. That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I'm 33, and I've been operating under the pretense that I need to hurry up and get this process moving as quickly as possible, before I get any older. Sadly, it's not especially conducive to either my day-to-day life, or the actual goal. It won't kill me to slow down and make sure I get this stuff right.

I'm going to apply to 2 or 3 schools, just to see what happens and get feedback, then spend the next year filling in the little holes in my application. 90 % of the stress I'm putting myself through can be attributed to trying to have the 'perfect' application for this year, and it's having the opposite of the desired effect.

Yeah. That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I'm 33, and I've been operating under the pretense that I need to hurry up and get this process moving as quickly as possible, before I get any older. Sadly, it's not especially conducive to either my day-to-day life, or the actual goal. It won't kill me to slow down and make sure I get this stuff right.

I'm going to apply to 2 or 3 schools, just to see what happens and get feedback, then spend the next year filling in the little holes in my application. 90 % of the stress I'm putting myself through can be attributed to trying to have the 'perfect' application for this year, and it's having the opposite of the desired effect.
I have said it before, but one of my biggest regrets was not deferring for a year after I got in. Everyone yelled "financial suicide", but honestly, there are some things more important than money.

There is nothing at all to say my medical problems were due to this kind of work-load, but it might not be coincidence either. Anyway, I have been "forced" into a year break and just again wish it could been planned and fun rather than what it is... (hey gimme my percocet.....)

:thumbup: I think you've got the right attitude.

One thought for DSMOODY:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, how is it that nobody has said beer yet? Not as advice to the original poster but as a way to tone down the stress. A happy hour with a friend and a drink (or two, or three...) is a great way to relax just for an evening. Come on y'all, I can't be the only one.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, how is it that nobody has said beer yet? Not as advice to the original poster but as a way to tone down the stress. A happy hour with a friend and a drink (or two, or three...) is a great way to relax just for an evening. Come on y'all, I can't be the only one.

For my part, I just figured that went without sayin'.

So this might be a dumb question but I figured its best to ask this question on this thread given its about feeling burnt out: I'm wondering if having summers off is a disadvantage at all while in veterinary school? I was attracted to Ross for the continual enrollment and thinking it would keep me in the study mode. Now Im thinking I'm just crazy! Any one feel like they would rather skip long breaks and get through the program and finish?

Any one feel like they would rather skip long breaks and get through the program and finish?

No, not at all. Personally to me that sounds like a nightmare. Summers are a really good time to network and Get Things Done, in addition to regrouping and relaxing a little bit between the years. Most people I know are doing really cool and interesting things over the summer that may be only an option while you're in school and get breaks like this, and most of them are related to vet med so they're actually reinforcing what was already learned throughout the curriculum so far.

So this might be a dumb question but I figured its best to ask this question on this thread given its about feeling burnt out: I'm wondering if having summers off is a disadvantage at all while in veterinary school? I was attracted to Ross for the continual enrollment and thinking it would keep me in the study mode. Now Im thinking I'm just crazy! Any one feel like they would rather skip long breaks and get through the program and finish?

I think that this is one of my biggest turn offs with Ross...some of my best learning and network experiences took place over summer breaks in undergrad...it was also extreme motivation at the end of the year to know that I had months to focus on something other than school (weather it personal or resume building). Most vet students I know work over the summer and continue to network...how do Ross students do this? Or they just don't?

No, not at all.

:thumbup:

This topic has come up at our school. Our university president has thrown out the idea of going to year-round schooling and asked the various schools within the university to consider whether it would be a good idea for them or not. He's looking at it as a better use of facilities and a way to get students through more quickly so they can be making money faster (and, I suppose, accrue interest on student loans for one less year). I forget his other 'pros', but they were reasonable.

In the vet school, the response I've heard has been overwhelmingly negative, for pretty much all the reasons Nyanko mentioned. People want time off. Out-of-staters want to go home and see family for more than a few days. People want to do research. Make money. Sit on the beach. Whatever. Vet school can beat you down. It's good to stop and recover. Personally, if I weren't coming up on summer break, I think I'd want to give up after last week.

No, not at all. Personally to me that sounds like a nightmare. Summers are a really good time to network and Get Things Done, in addition to regrouping and relaxing a little bit between the years. Most people I know are doing really cool and interesting things over the summer that may be only an option while you're in school and get breaks like this, and most of them are related to vet med so they're actually reinforcing what was already learned throughout the curriculum so far.
Exactly. Last summer really showed me how much I had actually learned. I used my summer to work in a clinic and it really allowed me to apply everything I had learned and reinforced why I was in the field. I think that if I didn't have breaks, I would go insane. This coming one will be my last one ever :(

Exactly. Last summer really showed me how much I had actually learned. I used my summer to work in a clinic and it really allowed me to apply everything I had learned and reinforced why I was in the field. I think that if I didn't have breaks, I would go insane. This coming one will be my last one ever :(

Me too :(

Oh man, no way. I'm all for getting through school as quickly as possible but I'm absolutely brain dead after finishing 11 final exams (just finished 1st year on Friday). If someone told me I still had school this summer I would just curl up into a ball and cry.

I need time to enjoy the summer, go out, make money, do whatever the heck I want on the weekends, etc. It's incredibly depressing (imo) to be in school when all you want to do is go to the beach or walk around on the harbourfront because the weather is absolutely beautiful.

SocialStigma, your post made me laugh--in a good way, not the making fun of you way. I'm putting pressure on myself, I'm 28 and will be 29 in the summer before I start and felt I should just go straight through and basically try to manage any stress that popped up--which would probably be continuous for 2.5 years! Hello gray hairs. I also know of people going to Ross and a professor recommended it to me so it seemed like a good option, but I always felt the school didnt treat the students as anything but a number--with that being said, everyone there now says the professors are amazing so I think its more the financial aspect of the school that turns me off.

I do think that since this will be my last schooling experience--god I hope so, that I should at least enjoy it and take advantage of the last few free summers before I start the working year round until I'm like 75. Wow I really need to take advantage of my remaining youth

I think that this is one of my biggest turn offs with Ross...some of my best learning and network experiences took place over summer breaks in undergrad...it was also extreme motivation at the end of the year to know that I had months to focus on something other than school (weather it personal or resume building). Most vet students I know work over the summer and continue to network...how do Ross students do this? Or they just don't?

I'm not entirely sure, but I suppose they have contacts before they started? I know a lot of them, myself included are a little older and have been working as vet tech for some time and just want to get through and make money and possibly go back to the clinics they worked at at DVMs. I however want to work with wildlife more and make contacts now so when I graduate I could do an internship and wont be relying on the school to help place me.

Do US schools help place their graduates or are they more or less on their own?

:laugh: No. Schools here do not help place you. They may have a collection of ads that clinics send to them when they're looking to hire - you can leaf through these on your own time.

Other than that, you're on your own. You have to figure out if you want an internship and how to navigate the match process - or if you want to start general practice you need to start your own search/resume/interview process.

:laugh: No. Schools here do not help place you. They may have a collection of ads that clinics send to them when they're looking to hire - you can leaf through these on your own time.

Other than that, you're on your own. You have to figure out if you want an internship and how to navigate the match process - or if you want to start general practice you need to start your own search/resume/interview process.

Plus, as far as I've heard, if anyone at the school was going to give you any sort of help in the job search process it's going to be the clinicians on your rotations (e.g. advice, rec letters, etc...). And Ross students have rotations in the same teaching hospitals as the state-side students. Unless you had a very special bond with your anatomy professor (one that lasts years beyond first-year) or worked with them outside of school... I highly doubt they would be of much use in job placement.

I'm not entirely sure, but I suppose they have contacts before they started? I know a lot of them, myself included are a little older and have been working as vet tech for some time and just want to get through and make money and possibly go back to the clinics they worked at at DVMs. I however want to work with wildlife more and make contacts now so when I graduate I could do an internship and wont be relying on the school to help place me.

That makes sense about non-trads...like you I want to focus on wildlife/exotics and I struggle with how I would get any work/volunteer experience at Ross while in school. Someone else made an excellent point that your last year is here so maybe that helps...

One word. Chocolate. Fixes everything :)

Also, I know someone else said it, but cleaning always helps me a lot. It gives me an hour to take a "break" and not think about anything. And I feel like I'm still being productive. Plus, clean house = clear mind.

Take walks or run. I know when you're burnt out the last thing you feel like doing is expending more energy. But excise is funny, I find that when I do work out I actually have significantly more energy. And it dramatically effects my mood. If I'm feeling moody or upset and I make myself go out for a run. I always come back feeling a lot better. It may still be mad or upset over whatever was bothering me, but I find I'm able to deal with it better and let it go faster if I work out and get the frustration out of my system.

Some good music and a positive attitude can fix everything. Also, if you're religious. Maybe take some time out to pray or meditate a little bit. Or even journal. Sometimes just acknowledging your frustration, spilling it out on paper, and closing the book and putting it away helps me a lot too.

Goodluck! You can do this :luck: