Burnout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Junior year 2 Thursdays ago. I've been reviewing for the MCAT daily since then. I'm at a point where things I know, I don't know, and easy equation manipulations are difficult.

For example, I'm in forces right now and as I was reading about gravitational force. I said to myself, "Oh, yeah I remember that, it's F= M g1g2 / r^2" Then I sat there for a few seconds, realized that what I just said was *****ic, and went on.

The first EK in-lecture quiz on forces, I got something like 3 out of 10. The next 2, I got perfects on but I still struggled through them.

I don't even feel like reviewing the practice test I took a couple of days ago...

Should I take a day or so break or keep pressing on?

I'm testing on July 18th.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you want, you can make this the official, "I'm tired of studying" thread.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be taking breaks once in a while. Don't study 7 days a week, but don't slack off either. It looks like you may need to get a more comprehensive review for Physics... break out the old textbook or grab a book that's better for teaching Physics concepts if you need it (Nova Physics is an example of a such book).

EK Physics doesn't really do a great job of teaching you stuff, but they do the best job of review. But if you forgot/didn't learn Physics material properly, you'll have to go back and learn it.

You're probably right. I might just need to review more.

Our physics course was fairly intense, but maybe I just forgot most of it...

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, I'm in forces right now and as I was reading about gravitational force. I said to myself, "Oh, yeah I remember that, it's F= M g1g2 / r^2" Then I sat there for a few seconds, realized that what I just said was *****ic, and went on.
That's so cute and funny although I'm sure that's not what you want to hear. Take a break! It doesn't have to be for hours on end... it helps me to switch subjects or listen to music for 10 mins or call a friend (and tell her I'm still alive) or post on SDN *cough cough*. Getting exercise helps. :luck:

I know that when I took the Kaplan prep course, my instructor told our class to study in 3-hour increments/day. Don't overdo it. The brain can only handle so much information in a given time. Study for 3 hours, take a break and do something fun/exercise, then study for another 3 hours, and so and so forth...

You'll be a lot more efficient and you'll avoid burnout. Best of luck! :luck:

Took today off. Thanks for the words of advice. We'll see if it helps me or not!

That's so cute and funny although I'm sure that's not what you want to hear. Take a break! It doesn't have to be for hours on end... it helps me to switch subjects or listen to music for 10 mins or call a friend (and tell her I'm still alive) or post on SDN *cough cough*. Getting exercise helps. :luck:

I'll take cute as a compliment and forget any negative impacts of the comment :)

That is the smart thing to do. You have to take breaks or your mind will do that for you.