Burnt to a crisp

Started by deleted984892
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted984892

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no idea what to do.

I did a general surgery residency with the plan of becoming a plastic surgeon. I did not really enjoy residency, but thought that residency was not meant to be enjoyable, especially if it is just a means to an end. I was able to barely graduate and I even matched into a plastics fellowship.

However, once I started, I was even more miserable. I became super depressed, and even has to take a leave of absence. While part of the problem was the program, I also came to realize that part of the problem was that I just really didn’t like surgery. I was convincing myself I did, but it never got me going in the same way as my co-residents. I was never driven to learn, doing just enough to get by. Now there is no way I can graduate my program, and I am just stuck. I don’t think I can pass my general surgery boards, and frankly, the thought of doing general surgery, or surgery for that matter, makes me ill. I can’t believe I have sacrificed so damn much in the last decade to only realize now that I don’t want it.

I have no idea how to proceed. Part of me just wants to leave medicine behind, but have no idea what skills I have. Another option would be a second residency, but don’t have any idea how to even do that. I could see myself enjoying ED, as I certainly enjoyed those rotations oh so many years ago in medical school. I am just so damn lost and needed to vent. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.