Burrell New Mexico

Started by da31t
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

da31t

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a student of Burrell in New Mexico for 2 years before I decided to leave due to the atrocious culture. During my time I had attempted to kill myself and have come to find out another student in my shoes completed suicide last night. The utter lack of support and isolation is dumbfounding.

I make this post because I strongly strongly suggest not going to the institution. There is much, much more to be said, but i think the fact that mental health is a common factor that isn't being addressed says a lot about in itself.
 
What is happening that made you feel suicidal? Is it that there is lack of mental health resources that mostly troubles you?
 
I was a student of Burrell in New Mexico for 2 years before I decided to leave due to the atrocious culture. During my time I had attempted to kill myself and have come to find out another student in my shoes completed suicide last night. The utter lack of support and isolation is dumbfounding.

I make this post because I strongly strongly suggest not going to the institution. There is much, much more to be said, but i think the fact that mental health is a common factor that isn't being addressed says a lot about in itself.
Very sorry to hear of your woes.

Can you elaborate on the bolded?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry to hear of your stress and depression but it seems unfair to claim there is a lot more to say, but then you don’t say it. Medical students are three times more likely to die from suicide than the general population. Is BCOM the Issue or is it the stress of medical school? If you are truly concerned about potential students, perhaps you could be more forthcoming and specific. And I truly hope you are doing better.
 
I'm a current student and just want to say that there has been no evidence whatsoever that someone at BCOM ended their life. This specific post was brought up to the school and it was investigated but came up empty.

I am truly sorry to the OP and their experience. No one deserves to have an experience like that. Ever.
I am not defending the school I am simply making an update stating that this post was investigated and nothing came of it. I know a lot of students were concerned because of this post.