Burrell vs NYITCOM-Ar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

optulya

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I have been accepted to Burrell and NYITCOM-Ar. I have been waitlisted at KCU. If I get accepted to KCU, I intend to take it and run, but alas, that is not my current situation.

Burrell Pros:
- Pass/fail, says it has no ranking.
- I want to try living in the SW, so the region is appealing.
- I know a current student there (OMS III), seems to like it well enough.
- Full disclosure, I want to go into forensic pathology. I know Burrell isn't associated with the pathology residency program in Alburquerque (UNM - seems to have a focus on forensics) but I'm wondering if going to school in NM could give me a leg up (and maybe I could do an audition rotation there?)
- The anatomy dissection summer program is of interest

Cons:
- My family's con - its quite far from home (I'm from the midwest).
- The usual concerns whenever BCOM is brought up - the attrition rate, their board pass rates their accrediation (although this seems to be on track to be accredited for 2024).
- 4 weeks of designated comlex time - this seems to be less than other schools.



NYITCOM-Ar
Pros:
- Closer to home. I'm neutral about the location. Not overly excited, not dreading it.
- Associated with the parent school in NY, which seems to be good. Possibly a con, as this is a satellite school and they may not be as supported as a result?
- Ipads! You can keep them if you graduate.
- I like the telemedicine training. I think its useful especially in this day and age.
- The Baptist Memorial system - appears to be decent rotation sites, with a residency connection.
- Good match rates.

Cons:
- I've read on the threads here "the state didn't even want them" - I'm not sure of the truth of that, or where that's coming from, however. My question would be, why?
- It being a satellite campus, as mentioned above.
- I'm not sure of its support of pathology and my options for pursuing forensic path here. I'm sure it's not impossible, but if it's more difficult, that is less appealing.
- I'm a little confused about lectures - are they online or no? If they are online, that is less appealing to me. I at least would like the option to go in person if I want.
- Their HP/P/F system - kind of pass fail, kind of not. Indirectly seems to still be basically graded. Not sure about ranking.


I lean a bit towards Burrell because I think I would be happier there.
If anyone else has anything to add that I didn't think about, please do say! I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
 
Last edited: