Burrell vs NYITCOM-Ar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optulya

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been accepted to Burrell and NYITCOM-Ar. I have been waitlisted at KCU. If I get accepted to KCU, I intend to take it and run, but alas, that is not my current situation.

Burrell Pros:
- Pass/fail, says it has no ranking.
- I want to try living in the SW, so the region is appealing.
- I know a current student there (OMS III), seems to like it well enough.
- Full disclosure, I want to go into forensic pathology. I know Burrell isn't associated with the pathology residency program in Alburquerque (UNM - seems to have a focus on forensics) but I'm wondering if going to school in NM could give me a leg up (and maybe I could do an audition rotation there?)
- The anatomy dissection summer program is of interest

Cons:
- My family's con - its quite far from home (I'm from the midwest).
- The usual concerns whenever BCOM is brought up - the attrition rate, their board pass rates their accrediation (although this seems to be on track to be accredited for 2024).
- 4 weeks of designated comlex time - this seems to be less than other schools.

NYITCOM-Ar
Pros:
- Closer to home. I'm neutral about the location. Not overly excited, not dreading it.
- Associated with the parent school in NY, which seems to be good. Possibly a con, as this is a satellite school and they may not be as supported as a result?
- Ipads! You can keep them if you graduate.
- I like the telemedicine training. I think its useful especially in this day and age.
- The Baptist Memorial system - appears to be decent rotation sites, with a residency connection.
- Good match rates.

Cons:
- I've read on the threads here "the state didn't even want them" - I'm not sure of the truth of that, or where that's coming from, however. My question would be, why?
- It being a satellite campus, as mentioned above.
- I'm not sure of its support of pathology and my options for pursuing forensic path here. I'm sure it's not impossible, but if it's more difficult, that is less appealing.
- I'm a little confused about lectures - are they online or no? If they are online, that is less appealing to me. I at least would like the option to go in person if I want.
- Their HP/P/F system - kind of pass fail, kind of not. Indirectly seems to still be basically graded. Not sure about ranking.

I lean a bit towards Burrell because I think I would be happier there.
If anyone else has anything to add that I didn't think about, please do say! I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: