Business Address for Solo Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangerBob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting as a 1099/independent contractor, without an office. I'll have a workstation I can use when at work, but I won't have an office or official place to have my mail sent.

For those of you in a similar situation, what address do you use for your business address? I was planning on using my home as a home office, but I'm hesitant to register that as my business address because that will be publicly searchable (my state will provide that info if asked by anyone, etc.). I could consider a PO box, but I prefer not to have to drive the the post office every day or two to check for mail. But obviously I prefer to keep my address private more.

Does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives? I tried a google search, but I couldn't find a whole lot. I think most independent physicians still have a practice address (ie., a clinic) they can use. What do those of you without real-estate do?

Members don't see this ad.

UPS mailbox can be cool because they can do mail forwarding and it's cheap

could even mail forward on a schedule

look into it maybe

Reactions: 1 user
UPS mailbox can be cool because they can do mail forwarding and it's cheap

could even mail forward on a schedule

look into it maybe

That looks like it could work great--there's a UPS store down the street from where I'll be relocating to. Is this what you're using right now? What's the cost, and are you happy with the service?

I love it, I think it's $20 a month, and it's $7 fee plus shipping cost to forward the mail - but you can always pick it up in person to save the money. They have keys just like a PO Box

The benefit is location and the fact that they can forward the mail anywhere anytime you want, no limit on that

Get a PO box and forward the mail. You have to pay a small fee every year.

What snail mail are you getting that it's that big of an inconvenience you to stop by the post office most days? If you're getting checks or bill payments then I'd be more than excited about checking that box each and every day.

I'm going to be starting as a 1099/independent contractor, without an office. I'll have a workstation I can use when at work, but I won't have an office or official place to have my mail sent.

For those of you in a similar situation, what address do you use for your business address? I was planning on using my home as a home office, but I'm hesitant to register that as my business address because that will be publicly searchable (my state will provide that info if asked by anyone, etc.). I could consider a PO box, but I prefer not to have to drive the the post office every day or two to check for mail. But obviously I prefer to keep my address private more.

Does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives? I tried a google search, but I couldn't find a whole lot. I think most independent physicians still have a practice address (ie., a clinic) they can use. What do those of you without real-estate do?
Where is that workstation? They can't receive mail for you?

Where is that workstation? They can't receive mail for you?

It's just a computer at the nurse's station. If I used the hospital as my mailing address, it could detract from the legitimacy of my home office (and potentially from my status as an independent contractor).

It's just a computer at the nurse's station. If I used the hospital as my mailing address, it could detract from the legitimacy of my home office (and potentially from my status as an independent contractor).
I don't see why it would have to. Presumably you have a workstation there because at times you will see patients there. But as long as you are doing your administrative work out of your home office the deduction for it is legitimate. As for the contractor status I don't think it ought to affect things. I see patients in a building that houses a group of employed and independent surgeons and that is where I receive my mail. My status as a contractor is determined by the way I control when and how I do the work, the fact I am exposed to potential for profit or loss, and the contractual definition of our relationship as well as the fact I don't receive employee type benefits, not by where I receive my mail.

I don't see why it would have to. Presumably you have a workstation there because at times you will see patients there. But as long as you are doing your administrative work out of your home office the deduction for it is legitimate. As for the contractor status I don't think it ought to affect things. I see patients in a building that houses a group of employed and independent surgeons and that is where I receive my mail. My status as a contractor is determined by the way I control when and how I do the work, the fact I am exposed to potential for profit or loss, and the contractual definition of our relationship as well as the fact I don't receive employee type benefits, not by where I receive my mail.

You might be right. However, I'm not sure there's actually a secure spot to store my mail--it's a rather small and open nursing station. It would certainly save some hassle as I'd be going in every day to the unit, so I'll see if the unit manager has any ideas. Currently the medical director, who gets an office, has a PO box

You might be right. However, I'm not sure there's actually a secure spot to store my mail--it's a rather small and open nursing station. It would certainly save some hassle as I'd be going in every day to the unit, so I'll see if the unit manager has any ideas. Currently the medical director, who gets an office, has a PO box
PO box would definitely be better than using your home office if the hospital can't hold your mail in the mail room or somewhere. Direct deposit of whatever can be done that way can help avoid the need to go there daily.