Practice address for DEA license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc1324

Reaction score
Recently completed residency here. I have medical license in State A but not in the state where I currently live (State B). I am considering taking a job at a practice in State A. I don't have a DEA registration currently but would like to apply for it in State A now to avoid credentialing delays later on. The registration application requires me to list a practice address in State A. Can I list the address of the practice I am considering joining? Or what have others done in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you currently have a job anywhere? You don't need a DEA license for the state you live, but you do need one for the state you're practicing in. DEA licensing is pretty quick--I got mine within 2 weeks, so I doubt that's going to be the cause of any credentialing delays you have (usually insurance and state licenses take far longer, not to mention med staff privileges with the clinic).

So wait until you sign a contract then apply with the address of the practice you're joining.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently renewed my DEA and, in addition to getting a printed copy in the mail, you get an online version you can just print which is identical. So even if it's lost/delayed in the mail, usually not a problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you currently have a job anywhere? You don't need a DEA license for the state you live, but you do need one for the state you're practicing in. DEA licensing is pretty quick--I got mine within 2 weeks, so I doubt that's going to be the cause of any credentialing delays you have (usually insurance and state licenses take far longer, not to mention med staff privileges with the clinic).

So wait until you sign a contract then apply with the address of the practice you're joining.
I don't have a job currently and don't have a DEA registration. Yeah my concern wasn't about the DEA registration itself, it was that I've heard the DEA registration is required for certain payers for credentialing, so if the DEA registration takes a few weeks to get it may set everything back a few weeks also. Do you know if that's true?

I don't have a job currently and don't have a DEA registration. Yeah my concern wasn't about the DEA registration itself, it was that I've heard the DEA registration is required for certain payers for credentialing, so if the DEA registration takes a few weeks to get it may set everything back a few weeks also. Do you know if that's true?

The DEA registration is generally really fast. Like, the day after your check clears. It, uh, doesn’t seem to be a very extensive verification process. 😬

Reactions: 1 users
You can still start working without being officially credentialed with all the payers. Medicaid in particular takes a while for credentialing. DEA license will not stop you for starting work or getting credentialed, trust me.

Reactions: 2 users