Business books to read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

enter_and_escape

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recommendations for good business books to read as a medical student? - can be anything - personal finance, investment, small business, entrepreneurship, etc.
 
Listen to Dave Ramsey (has daily podcast). He debunks all the garbage being peddled to non-savvy investors. I used to work in IBanking and can tell you that the game is so fixed against the average individual investor.

Dave is simple, boring, but exactly what most young doctors can follow to become very wealthy. Once you’ve heard 10-12 episodes you can recite the mantras verbatim, understand the underlying principles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
White Coat Investor. I actually don't recommend Dave Ramsey. He doesn't generally deal with high-salary, high-debt individuals. He has told med and dental students to take no debt, making med school impossible for many of us.
 
Agreed. Like any source, you can cherry pick to your situation.

People call in all the time with major medical school debt. He doesn’t tell them to kick rocks because they didn’t follow his plan. He starts where they’re at and builds a plan from there. I’ve heard countless people with medical school debt call in to ask about taking a big mortgage out. He saves their a$$
 
White Coat Investor. I actually don't recommend Dave Ramsey. He doesn't generally deal with high-salary, high-debt individuals. He has told med and dental students to take no debt, making med school impossible for many of us.

I second this. White Coat Investor! Runners up are Dave Ramsay and Boggleheads
 
The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham is a great insight into the basic philosophy of investing that Warren Buffet uses. It helps to provide a template for how you can begin to invest as well. That plus the white coat investor will provide you a strong understanding of how to deal with the unique financial circumstances of doctors plus the ability to invest.
 
If you're interested in financial independence at a young age and a more minimalist approach to life, check out Mr. Money Mustache (a blog, but has also appeared on several podcasts). My husband's hobby while I'm in medical school is personal finance and he talks about it all the time. It has really changed how we view our finances, retirement planning, etc.

It might be a bit disheartening to see people in their 40's talking about how they're retired, or how some people bash heavy student loan burdens, but if you can read past that, there is really great advice for how to prioritize your money spending and saving goals. Even with medical school loans, my husband has projected his retirement and an estimate of my retirement (based on market trends and average salary of the field I'm going into) and it's really helpful to know the long term impact of all our money/loan choices right now.
 
Warren Buffett's recommendation to Bill Gates in 1991 - Business Adventures by John Brooks. Great book. They still recommend it as the best business book. I loved it.

Buffett's favorite book. Benjamin Graham's "The Intelligent Investor."

Another book recommended by many Business Brilliant by Lewis Schiff. I re-read this every year or two and I give this as a present to new graduates so it's great for anyone who is going to go to med school.
 
Last edited:
To give you that Entrepreneurial fire, few books hit me as hard as Think & Grow Rich. Your dad and grandad probably at the very least heard of it, and theres a reason for that.