Business courses in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlaveRPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I went to school we received no training in the business and financial management areas. I would be interested to know if the colleges offer any courses that deal with business, finance, investment economics etc. Some of the best courses I have taken were the finance and management courses required for my MBA

Members don't see this ad.

At Maryland, we have the dual MBA program with the University of Baltimore which isn't that hard to get, although only 6 people in my class are in the program. Only Practice Management, which is a 2 semester class in the 2nd year, discusses business aspects of pharmacy -- accounting, marketing, business plan, etc. -- as part of the core curriculum. They also cram clinical skills such as patient history taking and physical exams into that class.

Some other business related classes are offered as electives in the Pharmacy School and can be used toward the MBA: Organizational Behavior, Pharmacoeconomics, and Business Plan are the ones that I know of.

I have taken two buisiness classes so far. There is one more course, a small seminar, and a small internship that I will have to complete if I wish to get a retail management certificate at UW. I am not sure whether I will opt to do this yet or not. It depends on what other electives are offered.

I took: Accounting (4cr), Marketing (4cr)
Need to take: Human Resource Management (4cr), Management Seminar (2cr), Management Internship (1cr)

Members don't see this ad :)
we have business and HR in our 3rd year....

we also have a joint MBA program

At my school, we are required to take a year long Management sequence.