SlaveRPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
When I went to school we received no training in the business and financial management areas. I would be interested to know if the colleges offer any courses that deal with business, finance, investment economics etc. Some of the best courses I have taken were the finance and management courses required for my MBA

Sosumi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Status
Pharmacist
At Maryland, we have the dual MBA program with the University of Baltimore which isn't that hard to get, although only 6 people in my class are in the program. Only Practice Management, which is a 2 semester class in the 2nd year, discusses business aspects of pharmacy -- accounting, marketing, business plan, etc. -- as part of the core curriculum. They also cram clinical skills such as patient history taking and physical exams into that class.

Some other business related classes are offered as electives in the Pharmacy School and can be used toward the MBA: Organizational Behavior, Pharmacoeconomics, and Business Plan are the ones that I know of.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
I have taken two buisiness classes so far. There is one more course, a small seminar, and a small internship that I will have to complete if I wish to get a retail management certificate at UW. I am not sure whether I will opt to do this yet or not. It depends on what other electives are offered.

I took: Accounting (4cr), Marketing (4cr)
Need to take: Human Resource Management (4cr), Management Seminar (2cr), Management Internship (1cr)

OSURxgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
At my school, we are required to take a year long Management sequence.