Business Degree: management anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone is think about going into management role either with a retail chain or hospital? I think that I would much rather like to practice clinical pharmacy for a max. of 5 years and then move into managemnt. Is this realistic? is anyone else thinking about taking this path??
How much do you guys thing a district manager of a retail pharmacy makes?

P.S.
viva la mexico! today is independence day

Members don't see this ad.

wannabedr said:
I am curious to know if anyone is think about going into management role either with a retail chain or hospital? I think that I would much rather like to practice clinical pharmacy for a max. of 5 years and then move into managemnt. Is this realistic? is anyone else thinking about taking this path??
How much do you guys thing a district manager of a retail pharmacy makes?

P.S.
viva la mexico! today is independence day
Have you given thought to completing a residency that deals with this specifically? Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Kansas all offer a 2 year residency in business administration and you will have an MS degree in business once the residency is completed. I currently have a very close friend of mine completing one now.

As far as district manager, it can depend. Usually, you start out making much less than you did as a pharmacy manager. After one year though, usually you will make a lot more money than a pharmacy manager, but that is always pending how well your district area does. I don't think I could handle all the BS it takes to be a DM and an effective one if that

we can do a pharmD/MBA in conjunction with the Citadel at MUSC if we want to...there is also a residency in practice management if that is your cup of tea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you given thought to completing a residency that deals with this specifically? Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Kansas all offer a 2 year residency in business administration and you will have an MS degree in business once the residency is completed. I currently have a very close friend of mine completing one now.

As far as district manager, it can depend. Usually, you start out making much less than you did as a pharmacy manager. After one year though, usually you will make a lot more money than a pharmacy manager, but that is always pending how well your district area does. I don't think I could handle all the BS it takes to be a DM and an effective one if that

Can you share your friend's experiences in that program (2yr residency + MS)? How stressful was it, and what were the job opportunities afterwards? I am also interested in moving to managerial position eventually.

I hope to go into administration at a local major hospital healthcare system. Your goal of 5 years sounds equivalent to mine...I want to go into management and then work my way up (with an MBA). Can anyone say CEO? lol

i was thinking of doing management path cuz it you get good pay and you get to travel everyday without acutally doing anything..
But after talking to few people, they told me it's a tough job but if you are in it for money you are gonna be happy

I m gonna get a pharmD and then go into MBA school and work for pfizer or something...
ANYone doing the same

I got my undergrad major in business admin...but I don't know that its necessary to get your mba...my pharmacy supervisor has his pharmD/mba and said it wasn't worth it...

I'm hoping on working a few years in a clinical type job in a hospital and then transitioning into a management position in the hospital. I'm still pretty vague about most of it simply because I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with people who have those jobs.

I m gonna get a pharmD and then go into MBA school and work for pfizer or something...
ANYone doing the same

I never thought about that option...hmmm...darn it, so many choices. And what would you do for Pfizer?

I hope to go into administration at a local major hospital healthcare system. Your goal of 5 years sounds equivalent to mine...I want to go into management and then work my way up (with an MBA). Can anyone say CEO? lol

a family member of mine is a RN who worked up to hospital CEO. They have a MHA - Masters in Healthcare Administration.