Business major in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi
I received a BS in business administration almost 15 years ago and I want to return to school to study pre med. I have no family or major responsibilities, so is it too late for me to pursue a medical career?

Do I have any other alternatives to medicine?

How long would it take me to complete the educational requirements?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in your late 30s with no family or major responsibilities? That's kinda sad. I hope you are not trying to go into medicine to fill those holes in your life.

No, it's not too late, but I started at 26 and am almost done and definitely am feeling like I should have been done 4 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in your late 30s with no family or major responsibilities? That's kinda sad.
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine.

Why don't you live your own life and let others make their own choices?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi
I received a BS in business administration almost 15 years ago and I want to return to school to study pre med. I have no family or major responsibilities, so is it too late for me to pursue a medical career?

Thanks

Not too late at all. Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

PA, Nursing, DPM, Optometry, PT, OT are alternatives.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Thanks

Geeze ignore that one guy. Anyway OP yes you could become a doctor, tons of people your age realize they wanna do it and achieve it.

I'll just give you the basics real quick; you need to complete the medical school prerequisites. Generally, these are 8 credits of bio, Chem, o Chem, physics, English. You can find more detailed lists online. You'll also need an MCAT score and some kind of clinical experience like shadowing and volunteering.

You could achieve this through a do it yourself post bacc as we like to say on SDN. This is basically where you take all the courses you need at local Community college or nearby schools. You also take the mcat on your own.

Alternatively, you could apply for a formal post bacc for "career changers" which is through a university. They set up all your classes and even usually help with mcat prep. There is a great search function on AAMC.com for these programs.

Definitely look into it if you feel it calling to you. Good luck OP!

Hi

How long would it take me to complete the educational requirements?

Thanks

Bump