Business Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greeneyes0234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm in.
I'm 22. Finishing my BA in Management (minor political science, fine art) in Dec 08 Kind of "well rounded", nice way of saying I change my mind alot. Gave up on medical school when I was 19. Started working as an ER receptionist or a "wrangler". So many crazy people! = ) Back to seriously considering OB/GYN work. Graduating and will have to take just one or two pre-reqs. I was having a hard time finding non-traditional students so I'm glad to have found you. I need to know where to start. It's been a while and I need to get back on track. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Katie

Here's what I have so far. Pending GPA of 3.58, 4.0 in my science classes. Biology, Physical Science, B's in Calc One and TWO. Started community program to mentor girls aged 13-18 in Foster Care system. Advising them on issues like teen pregnancy etc.... Helpful to my OB/GYN goal? Tons of extra curricular speaking engagements, financed my way through college by holding down 2-4 jobs at a time, so not alot of on campus activities. Just now starting to study for MCAt. looking to apply to MEd school in 2009. Not sure if that is even long enough. Great at standardized test. Looking to move out of Oklahoma for Med School. Not published. No research. Experience as mentioned above ER clerk, non clinical. Working on shadowing a ob/gyn in Fall. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I'm in.
I'm 22. Finishing my BA in Management (minor political science, fine art) in Dec 08 Kind of "well rounded", nice way of saying I change my mind alot. Gave up on medical school when I was 19. Started working as an ER receptionist or a "wrangler". So many crazy people! = ) Back to seriously considering OB/GYN work. Graduating and will have to take just one or two pre-reqs. I was having a hard time finding non-traditional students so I'm glad to have found you. I need to know where to start. It's been a while and I need to get back on track. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Katie

Here's what I have so far. Pending GPA of 3.58, 4.0 in my science classes. Biology, Physical Science, B's in Calc One and TWO. Started community program to mentor girls aged 13-18 in Foster Care system. Advising them on issues like teen pregnancy etc.... Helpful to my OB/GYN goal? Tons of extra curricular speaking engagements, financed my way through college by holding down 2-4 jobs at a time, so not alot of on campus activities. Just now starting to study for MCAt. looking to apply to MEd school in 2009. Not sure if that is even long enough. Great at standardized test. Looking to move out of Oklahoma for Med School. Not published. No research. Experience as mentioned above ER clerk, non clinical. Working on shadowing a ob/gyn in Fall. Any ideas?

Well, I'm not sure I would call you nontraditional just because you are a non-science major. That's becoming quite traditional these days and a ton of folks in pre-allo are similarly situated. And the average starting age in med schools these days is about 24, so you will be on target for that too. So in a lot of people's books you are fairly traditional, give or take your couple of postbac courses. Nontrads tend to be people who didn't do the usual high school to college to med school progression -- took time out to work, have families, get advanced degrees, do military service, etc. As a result we generally pull up the average age. So you might find some good advice in pre-allo as well.

At any rate, your next steps are going to be (1) to get some good clinical exposure, and (2) find a place where you can finish the prereqs, (3) once you have finished the prereqs, take the MCAT.

Thanks. If you were me. Would you focus your clinical experience in the area you want to specialize in? or will any clinical experience do? Pre reqs will be done by spring of next year as my final fall semester is already overloaded. Also, what would you suggest for MCAT prep courses? Do you think they really work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. If you were me. Would you focus your clinical experience in the area you want to specialize in? or will any clinical experience do? Pre reqs will be done by spring of next year as my final fall semester is already overloaded. Also, what would you suggest for MCAT prep courses? Do you think they really work?

Doesn't matter what you get your clinical experience in. Med students tend to change their mind at least once regarding their specialty, so no adcom really expects what you are interested in now to still be the case after third year rotations. MCAT prep courses do work for many people. The biggest value tends to be the proctored full length exams some administer, which gives you a sense of what it's like to take the real thing. Takes some of the edge off.

Did you go to Law school as well? or just change your mind. They almost had me too.... = )

Hey I'm in.

Thanks,

Katie

What you need:

1) ace your remaining prereqs
2) score 30+, preferably 33+ (since I know you want OOS) on MCAT
3) Clinical experience (anything with patients)
4) Physician shadowing
5) good LORs
6) If possible, try to volunteer at research lab.

You've got good numbers to start out with. Keep up the good work and you'll get in somewhere.