Businesses In Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckv34l

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This does not exactly pertain to MD/MBA. I know that there are many successful business persons here, and many with business potential, I want to hear from you guys. What business do you think is an excellent business, which wont cost that much, but will yield enormous profits. I was hoping that we could compare, lets say fast food chains (Mcdonalds,Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Subway etc...), gasstations ( Shell, Amoco, Citgo...etc), and any other type of business. I am really excited about this. I hope this will be a fun thread.
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know what to say. I don't think one exists. We have this stupid little thing called "competition" in our society, limiting economic profits..

rgarg3

Coca-Cola.... I can imagine it used to be worth it when it had cocaine in it but now, you pay $1.25 for some brown sugar water?!?!?!?!

Along the same lines, Pepsi, 7up and Sprite don't even bother with the coloring .... even more so, bottled water....

What these companies sell is psychological "feel good", which is even more "free" than water but guess what it works....

They package this and call it a "brand".

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything with a dot-com.... Oh, wait...

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

A physician's private practice.... Oh, wait...

:laugh:

Ahem.

Best selling novelist. A couple pens, a legal pad and a laptop. Very minimal investment - HUGE upside.

OK. In all seriousness, I agree that there is likely no such magic business. If you want to suceed, pick something you're good at and work like a freakin' dog. I don't know what else to say, though I wish that I did.

P

My wife just thought of another good choice - High Class Stripper. You don't have to work, just "work it."

Of course, you could make your money the old fashioned way, you could inherit it.

Apologies if these responses seem flippant (well, I suppose they are) - bad day with my old PI and I'm in a silly mood. ;)

P

You guys are hilarious! :)

ckv34l said:
This does not exactly pertain to MD/MBA. I know that there are many successful business persons here, and many with business potential, I want to hear from you guys. What business do you think is an excellent business, which wont cost that much, but will yield enormous profits. I was hoping that we could compare, lets say fast food chains (Mcdonalds,Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Subway etc...), gasstations ( Shell, Amoco, Citgo...etc), and any other type of business. I am really excited about this. I hope this will be a fun thread.
Kevin

When you have extremely low funds to start, go fee for service. Then, set up a website... Then.. hire people at $25 a day to pass out fliers or put them on cars -- you get the point. Run small advertisements in the newspapers. That will get you business. If you are good at whatever you do, you will continue to have business.

There are certain pitfalls to this like everything else, but I have seen plenty of people follow this protocol and make good money. You just have to find some service that you could sell or that someone else can peform with you selling it (while making profit).

A friend of mine did this with a lawnmower business. He hired two guys to cut lawns at $10 a lawn while he charged $30 a lawn to the owners. They cut about 40 lawns a week. He made a killing and his startup costs were less than $1000. He never mowed one lawn and made close to 25K in profit (according to him). His lawnmower service operated about 2/3 of the year. This was extra to his existing a job. Not bad for someone looking to make extra change on the side.