But I Love Smoking So Much...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Newman8r said:
good then, sounds good. unfortunately these 'idiots' are a huge percent of the population - their positions have been permanently cemented by all of the anti smoking campaigns. Sure, they'll be less likely to smoke - but just try to get them to give an objective opinion on nicotine (or any other drug), you'd be surprised

yeah, I think their hearts are in the right place though. Not everyone is able to smoke in moderation, I have friends who do it and I see nothing wrong with it...but like I said before, almost every friend I have who is now a habitual smoker started out smoking "only when I drink/go out" and "only a few times a week/month" whatever. Its a slippery slope for some, that's why they hammer away at this zero tolerance style rhetoric. Its a shame you have to deal with it, but I think most reasonable people will be of the opinion that smoking in moderation as you described it is not particularly unhealthy.

Members don't see this ad.

the other Dr. said:
Compared to Heroin or other pychoactive drugs, it ain't ****! Perception is not altered while smoking. Example, you can smoke as many cigarettes as you want, but still drive a car. Name another drug, besides caffiene, that you can drive on and function is not impaired?

you said you were in a drug class???? Sure you can drive the car, probably not as well, but it wouldn't be a problem. But being able to function while driving does not dictate whether or not a drug is psychoactive. Caffeine is psychoactive as well. I could name numerous psychoactive compounds that wouldn't impair driving too much. When you understand the actual workings of psychoactive compounds, and how they interact with the nervous system - you discover that they do change the way your brain works. If you would like me to go into more detail, I would be happy to... learn about acetylcholine function, and then come back and say nicotine isn't psychoactive...

Newman8r said:
you said you were in a drug class???? Sure you can drive the car, probably not as well, but it wouldn't be a problem. But being able to function while driving does not dictate whether or not a drug is psychoactive. Caffeine is psychoactive as well. I could name numerous psychoactive compounds that wouldn't impair driving too much. When you understand the actual workings of psychoactive compounds, and how they interact with the nervous system - you discover that they do change the way your brain works. If you would like me to go into more detail, I would be happy to... learn about acetylcholine function, and then come back and say nicotine isn't psychoactive...

Get off your high horse....Word Nazis! Smoking will actually make you a more alert driver, but I think you know what I mean when I am comparing the differences in the alteration of mood between a cigarette vs heroin. If you want the actual effects of each drug at a molecular level, then yes both do have effect. Yet on a behavioral level, of the commonly abused drugs, nicotine's mind-altering effects cannot even be compared to that of a drug that will intoxicate you such as alcohol or heroin. If you want you can give me a quiz on the molecular effects of each! Just don't make them to hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
the other Dr. said:
Get off your high horse....Word Nazis! Smoking will actually make you a more alert driver, but I think you know what I mean when I am comparing the differences in the alteration of mood between a cigarette vs heroin. If you want the actual effects of each drug at a molecular level, then yes both do have effect. Yet on a behavioral level, of the commonly abused drugs, nicotine's mind-altering effects cannot even be compared to that of a drug that will intoxicate you such as alcohol or heroin. If you want you can give me a quiz on the molecular effects of each! Just don't make them to hard.

Sorry, I just love drugs (not so much using them, but studying them). Compared to many illicit drugs, I would say that the profundity of the nicotine intoxication is dwarfed by other stimulants, but that's not to say it isn't significant in its own right.

"A substantial number of studies have shown [that nicotine]... rather than producing expected increases in emotional behavior and feelings, usually decreases emotions" (Gilbert OG: psychological bulletin 86-4)

Maybe people don't notice it so much, but nicotine has a definite, tangible effect on consciousness.

the other Dr. said:
Also, a stat from my drug class about smoking relapse. 90% relapse in 6mos and 95% in one year.

you're close, but the outlook is a bit better than that

"... most of these programs are able to get everyone to quit for a few days, by six months, 70 - 80% of them are smoking again. Some of the programs that combine multiple approaches seem to have better success, with up to 40% remaining abstinent for one year" (Glasgow RE, Bernstein DA: behavioral treatment of smoking behavior) and that was like 20 years ago

Newman8r said:
Sorry, I just love drugs (not so much using them, but studying them). Compared to many illicit drugs, I would say that the profundity of the nicotine intoxication is dwarfed by other stimulants, but that's not to say it isn't significant in its own right.

"A substantial number of studies have shown [that nicotine]... rather than producing expected increases in emotional behavior and feelings, usually decreases emotions" (Gilbert OG: psychological bulletin 86-4)

Maybe people don't notice it so much, but nicotine has a definite, tangible effect on consciousness.

Well at least we derailed this site from the "how dare you smoke" responses. Have a good night!

the other Dr. said:
Well at least we derailed this site from the "how dare you smoke" responses. Have a good night!

very true

Newman8r said:
you're close, but the outlook is a bit better than that

"... most of these programs are able to get everyone to quit for a few days, by six months, 70 - 80% of them are smoking again. Some of the programs that combine multiple approaches seem to have better success, with up to 40% remaining abstinent for one year" (Glasgow RE, Bernstein DA: behavioral treatment of smoking behavior) and that was like 20 years ago

One source? And 70-80% vs 90% is not very different. Also these people are in programs, whereas this is not accounting for those who quit on their own. Sorry, being a scientist I am skeptical of any one study. And who the hell knows, these numbers from the both of us could be way off, but the fact is that the relapse rate is extremely high. Especially after 1 year or 5 years.

Maybe it's cause I'm just coming off my cancer unit, but 70/80% is a pretty major difference from 90%.

But yeah, I'd be wary of that study until I saw the selection criteria.

Rendar5 said:
Maybe it's cause I'm just coming off my cancer unit, but 70/80% is a pretty major difference from 90%.

Not when you consider the type of study.

the other Dr. said:
One source? And 70-80% vs 90% is not very different. Also these people are in programs, whereas this is not accounting for those who quit on their own. Sorry, being a scientist I am skeptical of any one study. And who the hell knows, these numbers from the both of us could be way off, but the fact is that the relapse rate is extremely high. Especially after 1 year or 5 years.

well I said you were close - and yes, this is one study, but in my experience, this is the general data. but 3 out of 10 people saving their lives versus 1 out of 10 is significant. Sorry if I come off as hostile on the subject, it's just my interest, and some of these 'little details' are important (well, to me at least!)

Right, this is also the data concerning people seeking help while quitting - without help I'm sure the relapse rate is closer to +90%. I can't find any data off the top of my head concerning that demographic, so I'm not sure.

Rendar5 said:

Yes, good to be skeptical. But I trust these numbers more than those given to me by someone who can't back up their data with research (not saying this is anyone on the board)- thats why I put the quote there.

Newman8r said:
well I said you were close - and yes, this is one study, but in my experience, this is the general data. but 3 out of 10 people saving their lives versus 1 out of 10 is significant. Sorry if I come off as hostile on the subject, it's just my interest, and some of these 'little details' are important (well, to me at least!)

Right, this is also the data concerning people seeking help while quitting - without help I'm sure the relapse rate is closer to +90%. I can't find any data off the top of my head concerning that demographic, so I'm not sure.

Yes it would be significant if it could be proven to be exact! But consider, I am off by 5% and so are you. We would have a value of 85%. Damn I need to get out of research! Can't wait for next Sept!

Members don't see this ad :)
the other Dr. said:
Yes it would be significant if it could be proven to be exact! But consider, I am off by 5% and so are you. We would have a value of 85%. Damn I need to get out of research! Can't wait for next Sept!

yes but my data comes from actual research. Is yours just what you think you remember from a drug class, or did you find this data from a reputable source?

I guess it doesn't really matter though - just the point that the odds are against you if you are addicted to nicotine and trying to quit

the other Dr. said:
I agree that medical professions should know that smoking is best, but that is obvious to anyone.

:confused:

I don't smoke, but I do think smoking is demonized. I don't think it's easy to quit and that it's not really an addiction as I'm sure some people in society think.

Therefore, it's perfectly logical why someone wouldn't want to quit after they have been smoking for a long time, and will go through hell quitting.

However, one is not addicted to the drug before you try it (ie before lit up that first cig)

My question to smokers that I've always been curious is...

What made you smoke in the first place?
All of the smokers here have said they know the risk factors, which is definitely true, since you have to have lived under a rock to not know them, so assuming you knew them when you first started, what made you light up that first cig?

I'm not trying to one of those pain in the ass people smokers talk about, I'm just curious, that's all.

cardsurgguy said:
I don't smoke, but I do think smoking is demonized. I don't think it's easy to quit and that it's not really an addiction as I'm sure some people in society think.

Therefore, it's perfectly logical why someone wouldn't want to quit after they have been smoking for a long time, and will go through hell quitting.

However, one is not addicted to the drug before you try it (ie before lit up that first cig)

My question to smokers that I've always been curious is...

All of the smokers here have said they know the risk factors, which is definitely true, since you have to have lived under a rock to not know them, so assuming you knew them when you first started, what made you light up that first cig?

I'm not trying to one of those pain in the ass people smokers talk about, I'm just curious, that's all.

I can't accurately answer your question regarding why someone would start smoking , there are too many possible reasons/ situations that could get someone to start smoking. I think another good question would be to ask why people start smoking regularly - I am not a believer that people get addicted to nicotine the first time they smoke a cigarette, dependence can occur relatively quickly, but you kind of have to work towards it.

To partially answer your question though, I could say that one might try a cigarette because they know that one cigarette isn't a real health risk - people don't have their first cigarette assuming they will become addicts (at least to my knowledge). There really isn't a problem with smoking a few cigarettes a month, or less - this might be the mentality when someone is starting out smoking. Some people are able to maintain the self-control that keeps them from developing an addiction, others however, are not so fortunate. It is true, you cannot become addicted if you never smoke; that doesn't mean you will become addicted if you do smoke - and I'm not quite sure if thats a good enough reason to never try tobacco (of course, no smoking at all is healthier, but if you get a kick out of an occasional cigarette, thats probably fine)

You could extend this argument to alcohol too, it's probably better to stay away from it - but if you are able to do it responsibly, then more power to you; I think most people have their first sip/ first smoke with the idea that they are going to use the substance in a way that won't kill them.

Newman8r said:
I think most people have their first sip/ first smoke with the idea that they are going to use the substance in a way that won't kill them.

yeah, its unfortunate that people don't realize that the great majority of them will develop a physical addiction to alcohol/drugs in almost no time. it's best just not to start (watching people drunk/on drugs is probably a lot more fun than being on alcohol/drugs)

cardsurgguy said:

part oral fixation, part sheer curiosity

gls5377 said:
This thread is a crying shame. Come on now, you people have nothing better to talk about besides smoking. You actually have started a thread entitled, "I love smoking". Well thats great. Personally, I think it is one of the worst habits you can engage in. I also think people who smoke are weak individuals who either don't understand the ramifications smoking can have on them or dont care. What ever the reason you may have for smoking I think its stupid and people who make comments like, "I'd rather smoke and live to 65, instead of being a tight ass living to 75", are as ignornant as they come and I hope I never see you treating me. Do us all a favor, keep your hippocritical addiction group support systems off this site. Now that I pissed all of you off I will allow you to respond.

:mad:

I'll tell you what, you go on munching on your McDonalds and driving 60 in a 35 zone while preaching about the horrors of smoking, and I'll kick back, light one up, and relax, and let's see who enjoys life more. People don't smoke becuase they're weak, they do it because they like it. And it's hard to not understand the ramifications of smoking, and yes, people don't care. Like I said, it's worth it (and that is a lot less ignorant of a statement than any of your oh so enlightened remarks). Smoking tastes good, and it helps relieve stress. Ask a single mom with two kids and a job why she smokes (or a resident working 100 hour weeks). And while we're at it, why don't you try a cigar instead of studying for 10 hours a day. Maybe that A- instead of an A won't be the end of the world after all?! Enjoy life, it's the only one you get. Oh, and we both know that if you respond with "OH I don't eat McDonalds or drive fast" then you're a LIAR!

I'll tell you why people smoke...it starts out as social smoking. I started smoking in college because all my friends smoked. Which started out as smoking only when I was out drinking...which progressed to smoking only when at the bars drinking and after big meals and before you know it you are smoking when you're pissed, when you're stressed, when you're bored, and when you're celebrating. But I love smoking the MOST when I'm driving and listening to some good tunes. :thumbup: I'll quit one day....when I feel like it,,,

People start smoking BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME. I don't want any tightwads responding "no, it's a filthy habit blablabla" if you think that you are not and have never been a smoker and we don't want to hear from you. :thumbdown: The OP has already clarified, this thread is for smokers only!!
Ok, so actually I am (mostly) a former smoker. I used to smoke regularly, now I am training to compete as a kickboxer so I can't smoke and work out the way that I do, but I still indulge in the occasional cigarette.
So, to all you smokers, we know why people smoke. It's delicious! Mmmmmm...cigarettes... :love:

To the OP: if you love smoking and don't want to quit, then smoke and enjoy it and screw everyone else. You'll quit when you are ready ;)

rockstar2525 said:
So, to all you smokers, we know why people smoke. It's delicious! Mmmmmm...cigarettes... :love:
I love smoking but I had to give it up. A history of asthma does not mix well with tobacco. I started when I was 13 then stopped when I was 16. I picked it up again in college just socially. But I still pick up a pack every now and then if I'm on the road. Nothing keeps me awake on lonely road trips better than a cigarette and some good music... :)

Newman8r said:

Under those rules, isn't anything psychoactive? Like choclate or sugar or tree bark. They all have to affect brain chemistry in some way, right? Or am i missing the distinction?

I started smoking in high school--since then I"ve made at least ten attempts to quit smoking...and the last few times were cold turkey. Withdrawal turned me into a beotch, and resulted in a friend suggesting I light up....

What gets me is people who come up to you and tell you "smoking kills." Maybe they wouldn't be as quick to proselytize if they knew what it was like to try to quit. I am not happy that I ever started smoking......but ah, sometimes theres nothing like a good martini and a long cigarette.

PthaloKitty said:
I started smoking in high school--since then I"ve made at least ten attempts to quit smoking...and the last few times were cold turkey. Withdrawal turned me into a beotch, and resulted in a friend suggesting I light up....

What gets me is people who come up to you and tell you "smoking kills." Maybe they wouldn't be as quick to proselytize if they knew what it was like to try to quit. I am not happy that I ever started smoking......but ah, sometimes theres nothing like a good martini and a long cigarette.
Ha ha... your post was great! I actually think it gives you quite a good understanding about what it's like to have an addiction problem ( so many of our future patients will suffer from it). I completely understand. I was a varsity athlete and struggled with it since high school (still do today). I have the whole outta sight outta mind thing going for me, but when you're at a bar or just really stressed, that stupid part in your brain gives you a little incentive to have one. I am never proud to say that I have a history of occasionally smoking... sometimes I wish that when I was being a dumb 15 year old and trying it with my friends, I actually choked, gasped or threw up... something to make me never want to do it again... but alas... not the case. I do have some empathy for people who are trying to quit and hope that I will be able to help those people out eventually.

Okay funny smoky story....

so i'm in the middle of the outback talking to this really hot guy who was a radiology tech (he was actually missing an arm... only in the outback and that is a whole other story)... anyway.. the missing arm part doesn't take away from the fact that he was SMOKIN! Okay.. so I'm asking myself, "how can I let this guy know that I like him?" I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea........... mind you at this point, I had about 3 rum and coke's running through my veins so I hadn't noticed that he was missing an arm yet, but did notice that he was smoking......so I walk over to him and order another (yes another) drink. He asks me if I have a lighter and I think to myself... wow... perfect opportunity... so I reply "well, I'll only let you use it if you give me a cigarette every time you need my lighter..." We had a great conversation, danced a bit, had a few more drinks..................... I noticed that he only had one arm.......... it was all good fun. The only unfortunate part about the evening was that he took my proposition seriously and the dude or should I say Bloke was a freakin Chain Smoker..........I swear I must have smoked an entire pack on my own just to keep up with him. The next morning I was dying.. I thought I was going to get emphysema right on the spot.......... I could barely talk, I blew my nose and chimney soot came out of it... yuck................. Oh Aaron, where are you my little Aussie smoky friend?

Just thought I'd share one of my tales from the outback :)

I wanna join the club, too!! :clap: I agree with all of the above, there is nothing better than a long cigarette with a dry martini... Well, maybe a long cigarette with some dark coffee (french roast), sitting in a cafe, on a rainy day... :love:

Why we smoke? Because it feels damn good! That's why!

Do we not know about the risks? Of course, we do! We all live in the same world and hear the same news/stories. We also all took the same bio classes and worked/volunteered in hospitals where we saw terrible throat cancer cases...

Do we not care? No, we don't. Life is not about staying on earth as long as possible. It's all about enjoying it as much as possible while we are here. So, yes, I would rather live until 55 and enjoy life, smoke a cig when I feel like it and drink when I go out, etc... than live until 75 and deprive myself of all these things that make me happy.

What about those around us? It's all about comprises. I never smoke at home so that my parents and siblings don't have to suffer from the consequences of my smoking. Same when I'm in my dorm, because of my roommates. In addition, smoking in most closed spaces is prohibited now... Most cafes, restaurants, malls, libraries, movie theaters, etc. So, I don't think that non-smokers really suffer from our somking.

The only controversy is the bar scene. But, you just gotta get over this one!!! Even pseudo non-smokers smoke when they drink...

And, again, I agree with all the other post by somkers: nothing pisses me off more than lectures by people who think they are so much better than you. They think of themselves as healthy because they don't smoke... LOL Most of them are obese, never exercise, drink beers every night while watching TV... eat ready-to-eat frozen dinners or order a greasy chinese meal... or go to some kind of disgusting fast food...and I'm not even talking about the 20 pounds of red meat they eat each week... their lifestyles are just repulsive. Yet, they feel the need to criticize us.

Well, that deserves a cig! :thumbup:

PthaloKitty said:

Blake said:
:laugh: Got to love SDN :scared:

And no, I never smoked.

I agree with this person. Really. As no dietician should be obese, no priest should be a child molester, no addictionologist should be on crack, etc. How can one teach patients to not do something when they do it themselves?
Pat

hospPA said:
I agree with this person. Really. As no dietician should be obese, no priest should be a child molester, no addictionologist should be on crack, etc. How can one teach patients to not do something when they do it themselves?
Pat

MD motto: Do as I say, not as I do.

Learn it, love it, live it. :thumbup:

As a former pack-a-day smoker, I have kicked the addiction to the smoke in the morning with my coffee, the after meal smoke, and the after-work smoke. Those three instances are probably the toughest to quit. However, I doooooo love smoking when I'm boozin it up with my pals.

For the smokers out there... I came across this finding while writing my MS thesis...

"Many epidemiological studies have found a highly significant negative association between cigarette smoking and these two neurodegenerative disorders. The risk of Alzheimer's or Parkinson's in nonsmokers has generally been about twice that of smokers. That is, patients with AD or PD are approximately 50% less likely to have smoked cigarettes during their lifetime than are age- and gender-matched controls. " Behav Brain Res. 2000

Tell that to those people picking on you for your nasty habit. If you don't die of cancer first, you're less likely to go senile!

ishaninatte said:
I sent back my acceptance cause psycho doc thinks i can't be a doctor...were the Camels worth it? Oh God! What have I done!?!?
awww i didn't realize i had so much influence. You can still keep the acceptance and you have 4 years to change your ways. :p

ajt2003 said:
PD drives me crazy! All of you "holier than thous" are not allowed in this thread! Period. :rolleyes:

Okay, how's about this: We won't smoke around you, but if we do, we promise to smoke only in well ventilated areas....so leave us be! Smokers (or occasional smokers) unite!

:( :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

ishaninatte said:
And just as a side not, there are cigartettes out of England called "Death" cigarettes that say the exact same thing on the box, that is, when used exactly as intended, cigarettes kill you. Actually, first they make you feel nice. Anyways, that's a good idea, because if everyone had these cigarettes, then no one could possibly be compelled to bitch because EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS THE HEALTH WARNINGS. SMOKERS ONLY! SHOO!

that is great. the generic name should be 'death accelerator' or something b/c that's exactly what it is

the other Dr. said:
Sorry for the quick response. I mean the insanity you face to quit smoking. For example, I almost lost my best friend, my boyfriend and almost failed my classes. I was such an aweful person during this rough 3-4 month period. I should have been put in a cage somewhere. Quitting smoking was the HARDEST thing I have ever done. I gained about 20 pound during the process and still 4 years later have issues with weight, so I have to work-out ALL the time. I basically have trading addictions. Now I like food a lot, but have to balance it with the gym. Anyways, words cannot describe the agony I went through and I empathize with smokers. I am the ONLY one of my childhood friends who has successfully quit smoking. I agree that medical professions should know that smoking is best, but that is obvious to anyone. The difficultly of smoking lies in overcoming the most addictive substance, nicotine.

sorry and i empathize but it can not come even close to the agony your loved ones would feel when you die prematurely due to excessive prolonged cigarette smoking. i think you did a very difficult yet wise thing. :thumbup:

I'm just going to reiterate a point from before, because PD is here so now you're all going to start arguing that people who don't smoke are "holier-than-thou" weirdos...

I have no problem with you deciding to smoke, although I am baffled by the fact that you can be medically knowledgable and still use the single most harmful modifiable risk factor...

But, my problem with future-MDs who smoke is that some use the argument "Smoking's bad for you, but so are a lot of other things, and smoking feels so good!!!" It is totally irresponsible for a physician to spew this crap argument, as it might be interpreted by some lay-people as a medical mandate that smoking isn't any worse than a lot of other vices, so hell if it feels good do it. Smoking remains the single worst thing you can do for your health. If you want to smoke despite the fact its terrible for you, fine. But don't allow laypeople to think that smoking is no worse than "speeding" or "eating hamburgers"...that's just irresponsible...

nina512 said:
"Many epidemiological studies have found a highly significant negative association between cigarette smoking and these two neurodegenerative disorders. The risk of Alzheimer's or Parkinson's in nonsmokers has generally been about twice that of smokers. That is, patients with AD or PD are approximately 50% less likely to have smoked cigarettes during their lifetime than are age- and gender-matched controls. " Behav Brain Res. 2000

Tell that to those people picking on you for your nasty habit. If you don't die of cancer first, you're less likely to go senile!

Cigarettes can also help alleviate symptoms in those with schizophrenia and tourette syndrome...hmmm...many of the above disorders are dopamine related...interesting...

neuropower said:
Cigarettes can also help alleviate symptoms in those with schizophrenia and tourette syndrome...hmmm...many of the above disorders are dopamine related...interesting...

90% of lung cancers caused by cigarettes...

i think i shall start a thread about the the glorious asbestos...

"you know im aware of the dangers of asbestos, i know all about mesothelioma and the extensive documentation of long and short term lung damage, but ill be damned if it doesnt keep my pipes insulated! yee haw!"

I never understood what people get out of smoking. I have a few friends that smoke a lot so I actually tried it for a while to see what the hubbub was all about. I swear I got nothing out of it except for stinky breath and clothes. But I have nothing against people wanting to feel good so keep sucking down those cancer sticks guys, you're doing the nation's population a great favor.

ishaninatte said:
I second that. Time to slip outside...
I can step out to fart, but you'll always stink.

Let's see what the pro-choicers think about people smoking around my pregnant wife.

patzan said:
I can step out to fart, but you'll always stink.

Let's see what the pro-choicers think about people smoking around my pregnant wife.

Considering that there is no link between smoking and political views or smoking around your wife and your wife's desire or lack of desire to carry to full term (I assume you are having a kid? congrats!), I don't even see the question or the implication?

velocypedalist said:
I'm just going to reiterate a point from before, because PD is here so now you're all going to start arguing that people who don't smoke are "holier-than-thou" weirdos...

what the heck is that supposed to mean? people can smoke if they want but i don't know why a medical student who knows the ramifications of smoking would want to. That just is not an intelligent decision. :thumbdown:

Rendar5 said:
Considering that there is no link between smoking and political views or smoking around your wife and your wife's desire or lack of desire to carry to full term (I assume you are having a kid? congrats!), I don't even see the question or the implication?

but there is a link between second hand smoke and cancer and between second hand smoke and an unhealthy pregnancy

ByrnBabyByrn said:
I never understood what people get out of smoking. I have a few friends that smoke a lot so I actually tried it for a while to see what the hubbub was all about. I swear I got nothing out of it except for stinky breath and clothes. But I have nothing against people wanting to feel good so keep sucking down those cancer sticks guys, you're doing the nation's population a great favor.

and the oncologists will constantly have lung patients

You guys can Pubmed'me to double check...

one effect of nicotine has to do with triggering the release of dopamine within the reward centers of the brain (which helps fuel the addiction)

Also, nicotine is a cholinergic agonist and can help preserve and sustain cholinergic pathways within the brain since "use it or lose it" seems to apply strongly in the nervous system.

Nicotine it seems, in small quantities doesn't seem to be all that bad. I like smoking, but I didn't like the fact that I depended on it. I remember how cranky I'd get if I didn't have my ritual cigarettes. Now, I just have a few smokes once in a while and a pack can last me a little over a month.

It's hard to take advice from someone who doesn't know what it's like to be addicted to smoking and that drives me crazy. It also bothers me to know that people actually believe that smoking negates one's ability to be a physician.

I told my physician that I smoked and her reply, "It's your life and you're just one step closer to dying after each cigarette." That response didn't prompt me to quit, but it did make me want to tell her to f-off. The death-threats and relegating smokers to the out-skirts of society might help, but it is ultimately an individual's choice to quit and to quit successfully.

Biscuit799 said:
I'll tell you what, you go on munching on your McDonalds and driving 60 in a 35 zone while preaching about the horrors of smoking, and I'll kick back, light one up, and relax, and let's see who enjoys life more. People don't smoke becuase they're weak, they do it because they like it. And it's hard to not understand the ramifications of smoking, and yes, people don't care. Like I said, it's worth it (and that is a lot less ignorant of a statement than any of your oh so enlightened remarks). Smoking tastes good, and it helps relieve stress. Ask a single mom with two kids and a job why she smokes (or a resident working 100 hour weeks). And while we're at it, why don't you try a cigar instead of studying for 10 hours a day. Maybe that A- instead of an A won't be the end of the world after all?! Enjoy life, it's the only one you get. Oh, and we both know that if you respond with "OH I don't eat McDonalds or drive fast" then you're a LIAR!

Enjoy life? What type of life are you talking about?

I once had the opportunity to shadow this spine surgeon. We had just finished interviewing this woman who had some back problem and he was telling me why she wasn't going to get any better.

"One, she's overweight. Two, she's poor. Three, she smokes. Man, smoking is so bad for you. Hurts your lungs, bones, everything. Yep, that's why I chew. "

KAR said:
I once had the opportunity to shadow this spine surgeon. We had just finished interviewing this woman who had some back problem and he was telling me why she wasn't going to get any better.

"One, she's overweight. Two, she's poor. Three, she smokes. Man, smoking is so bad for you. Hurts your lungs, bones, everything. Yep, that's why I chew. "

chew tobacco?? has he ever heard of tongue, mouth or throat cancer?