• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

goldsummer

7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a new attending and have not yet bought a house. I'd like to, but flexible as to when I do. I'm ok in my current situation.

What I like about buying a house now:
- I can finally afford one I like
- interest rate at historic low

What makes me hesitate:
- Price of houses keep elevating, many houses being built and getting bought due to low interest rates driving up house prices further
- Uncertainty of economy, pandemic, new administration, etc

My worry is that I'll buy a house that's currently worth 350k, and if the housing market crashes like it did 2008, it may only be worth 180k. It would obviously be more optimal to buy during a crash... This is hard to predict of course..

What do you think?

dpmd

Relaxing
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lazytown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a new attending and have not yet bought a house. I'd like to, but flexible as to when I do. I'm ok in my current situation.

What makes me hesitate:
- Price of houses keep elevating, many houses being built and getting bought due to low interest rates driving up house prices further

My worry is that I'll buy a house that's currently worth 350k, and if the housing market crashes like it did 2008, it may only be worth 180k. It would obviously be more optimal to buy during a crash... This is hard to predict of course..

What do you think?
If you buy a house you can afford and don't need to sell it then you don't have to worry as much about prices crashing. So the bigger question is can you afford it and what is your job security like (so you can continue to afford it)

Reactions: 2 users

Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
The interest rates are at historically lows right now.
When you consider a house as a 15-20-30 year investment, it is going to be hard to beat these rates at this moment in time.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

dr doze

To be able to forget means to sanity
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The interest rates are at historically lows right now.
When you consider a house as a 15-20-30 year investment, it is going to be hard to beat these rates at this moment in time.
Except....As interest rates rise...Homes become less affordable because mortgage payments go up.

dr doze

To be able to forget means to sanity
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Which is exactly the reason to buy now! When a home IS affordable.
(Wasn't that the point of the OP?)

I was referring to in case you want/need to sell in a few years. If you are confident of dropping anchor for a long time, a home purchase with a mortgage is a very solid choice right now.

redfish955

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Tell us more about your background and location.
How much is an apartment with hip young professionals that you would enjoy networking with? Maybe something near a fortune 500 headquarters.
Do you have a close group of friends, siblings, or ect. that you can fill the house with?
Are you in a new city and need to make friends?
Do you need to find a spouse?
Will have have kids in the next five years and need a house?
IMO if you don't have a close group of friends you will have the most fun at wherever the residents are living as long as it has good amenities. Most of the upper end apartments will be filled with couples and the singles will be in the more affordable hip buildings with pools and rooftop lounges, and etc.

What ever you do make sure you can save enough for retirement. Assume an 8% return annually and you will need about 2.5 million to retire at 60.

• Haha

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

What makes me hesitate:

What do you think?
How long have you been in the current job? Do you have partnership or tenure (depending on private practice or academic)? Lot of people including physicians end up changing first job. There will be some price correction in near future but no one knows when and how much. I don't see interest rates changing that much in 2021.

stillpremed

15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Status (Visible)

What makes me hesitate:

What do you think?
Live like a resident for a couple years and when pandemic uncertainty subsides + you are more established as an attending then you can decide to buy a house vs continue renting. Best decision of my life = live like a resident for five years and counting after finishing fellowship :)

Asset inflation is real, 10 percent plus a year (stocks, homes) while healthcare/education completely outpaces and laps our salary jumps

Cash is trash, QE infinity continues and everything continues to pump in this new paradigm

CocoMelon0531

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

What makes me hesitate:

What do you think?

Most advices on here and in WCI are very traditional and outdated. I originally worked in finance for a few years so I have a unique perspective that is viewed by others as very radical.

But with worldwide fiat money printing on overdrive and not slowing down, you want to tap that physician mortgage at basement prices and lock in the price for a valuable commodity (housing that you will be using for the next decade) and let the real 4-6% asset inflation work for you against the banks. Rent will go up drastically in the future once demand, consumption, and money velocity are back to baseline with vaccine and worldwide monetary stimulus.

FYI, everyone who bought homes 6-8 months ago has already saw their home prices up by 6-7%, aka free rents if they sell their homes now after commissions and fees.

goldsummer

7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How long have you been in the current job? Do you have partnership or tenure (depending on private practice or academic)? Lot of people including physicians end up changing first job. There will be some price correction in near future but no one knows when and how much. I don't see interest rates changing that much in 2021.

Its been about 3 months. I have a 2 year guarantee base salary through october 2022. I'm employed by a hospital chain. So far, I like it. I plan to stay long term, but yeah who knows.
I do wonder how the new billing scheme will affect things...

goldsummer

7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Most advices on here and in WCI are very traditional and outdated. I originally worked in finance for a few years so I have a unique perspective that is viewed by others as very radical.

But with worldwide fiat money printing on overdrive and not slowing down, you want to tap that physician mortgage at basement prices and lock in the price for a valuable commodity (housing that you will be using for the next decade) and let the real 4-6% asset inflation work for you against the banks. Rent will go up drastically in the future once demand, consumption, and money velocity are back to baseline with vaccine and worldwide monetary stimulus.

FYI, everyone who bought homes 6-8 months ago has already saw their home prices up by 6-7%, aka free rents if they sell their homes now after commissions and fees.
and you think right now is the time? or will the housing bubble burst similarly to what it did in 2008?

CocoMelon0531

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
and you think right now is the time? or will the housing bubble burst similarly to what it did in 2008?

2008 is a once in a lifetime buying opportunity. Will not get such deal with the usd money press backing everything up. I personally expect IS housing to be up 8-10% for this year.

abolt18

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

What makes me hesitate:

What do you think?
While it is obviously more optimal to buy during a crash, you may find yourself waiting around a LONG time.

Are you buying the home to make money on it? Or to live in it? Because if it's to live in it, and you plan on living there a long time, you're not actually out anything if the market crashes after you buy, unless of course you try to sell after the price drops...

I think if you feel confident that you like your job and you're planning to stick around, buying a house makes perfect sense when you find the house you want. I wouldn't wait around for prices to crash.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

goldsummer

7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
While it is obviously more optimal to buy during a crash, you may find yourself waiting around a LONG time.

Are you buying the home to make money on it? Or to live in it? Because if it's to live in it, and you plan on living there a long time, you're not actually out anything if the market crashes after you buy, unless of course you try to sell after the price drops...

I think if you feel confident that you like your job and you're planning to stick around, buying a house makes perfect sense when you find the house you want. I wouldn't wait around for prices to crash.

Good luck!

You're right.

I do feel like i like my job currently. I think ill be with this group for a long while. and in this town. But with covid and all this billing changes to come, wasnt sure what to expect.

Good advice, thanks

NITRAS

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Which is exactly the reason to buy now! When a home IS affordable.
(Wasn't that the point of the OP?)

I know this is old to reply.

Low interest rates have inflated house prices. A rise in interest rates would probably cause some drop in home prices. Lots of people buy based on “how much a month?”.

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
I don’t think interest rates are going up again any time soon

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.