Buying a car with student loans?

Started by HenryH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting graduate school in the fall and was wondering if it would be possible to apply and be granted a private student loan to purchase a car. I understand that Stafford loans permit you to borrow a very limited amount, which is why I'm interested in a private loan. If a private loan company would grant me a loan to purchase a car, how long would I have to pay it off? Could I actually stretch the payments out over 20+ years?
 
So not even a private loan company would give a student loan for that purpose?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure you can get a private loan. A car loan. It wouldn't be deferred or eligible for forbearance during school.

Very bad idea to buy a new car and try to pay a car payment on student loans. This thread is an example of what happens: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=765206

if you need a car check The classifieds and buy a used reliable car with low miles. if you're patient and not too picky you could get a great car for under 5k.
 
I second always angel. I got a '96 corolla for 4k (this included licence plate). The car needed minor repairs (tire replacement, timing belt change) but is runnin' fine. Don't even think about buying a new car or leasing.

Your school's coA is probably high enough for you to borrow the max and still get a used car without resorting to private loans.
 
Or live close to your place of study/work and use public transit or ask friends for rides on occasion.

Save time/hassle/$$ 😀