Buying a practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newpodgrad

Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I’m a graduating resident. Looking for jobs, but most of them look pretty crappy.

I came across one guy that seems ok, but he’s looking to just sell his office.

It’s about 10 years old , big city. Seems well run.

Open right now 2-3 days a week, with about 10-12 patients or so per day.

I don’t really know what the full collections are but what should I be looking for in buying a practice?

I haven’t ventured down this route before so I’m not too sure.

Also, how many patients should be seen during a day? From my limited time there there wasn’t many RFC patients. But decent pathology with office procedures orthotics X-ray etc.

My previous office experience in residency, our attendings would have 25-40 patients in a day. Granted a ton were routine dm patients .

So I’m not sure on how or what to gauge on.

Any insight at all is much appreciated. I wish we learned this stuff in school or residency but I feel like I’m walking in blind

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN!

I’m a graduating resident. Looking for jobs, but most of them look pretty crappy.

I don’t really know what the full collections are but what should I be looking for in buying a practice?

Also, how many patients should be seen during a day? From my limited time there there wasn’t many RFC patients. But decent pathology with office procedures orthotics X-ray etc.

My previous office experience in residency, our attendings would have 25-40 patients in a day. Granted a ton were routine dm patients .

Any insight at all is much appreciated. I wish we learned this stuff in school or residency but I feel like I’m walking in blind

Not a Podiatrist so no idea on this, however, as someone who works with a lot of elderly patients, have you thought about doing independent contractor work for SNF, hospitals, rehab units? Probably more lucrative for you and there is quite a need out there. Just a thought.

Hey SDN!

There are consulting companies for this have a friend who did one and says it was worth every dollar he spent

Members don't see this ad :)
There are consulting companies for this have a friend who did one and says it was worth every dollar he spent
Consulting companies I can talk to? How do I even search for such a niche service? Lol

If you have anyone you would refer I’m all ears!

Yeah, it is worth getting a quick valuation on if you can... if valuation is lower that the guy's ask, use that to negotiate. If it's higher, just negotiate slightly and don't ever mention it. There a lot of consulting companies that do valuations... mostly just 'expert' DPMs through AAPPM or similar. They really have no expertise you couldn't learn with some reading, but an unbiased set of eyes is useful. What you probably don't want to do is get agencies that does all kinds of MD practices with EBITDA and all; that will just confuse things and probably end up way high (or zero in this situation). Since this deal is so very small to begin with, you don't want to spend much on any appraisal, though. It might be better in this case to just use your head and figure out rough avg gross and net income of the practice over the past couple years (ask them to see biz tax returns)... it's not like you are buying a very busy 3 office four doc $2M practice here where even 5% over or under value is significant.

Other than that, you prob want 15-20pts or fewer per day to start (just so you can focus in efficiency, etc), but that's way more than this one has (only 6-8 pts per day if you make it 5 days/wk). Your problem with this one is that you'll need major marketing pushes almost immediately to keep the lights on, pay your staff, and have anything to do. If you try to see a whole of pts lot right away, you don't really have time to improve the process... you are just trying not get behind or drown in notes. I've had more than a couple buddies buy a booming practice and seriously have to close it down for days or a week here and there to keep from getting buried early on. Also keep in mind that when you start at a new office, all patients are new to you and take some thought and review, even if the other guy saw them in the past. Once you have seen them again and again, the visits and notes are much quicker.

The office you are looking at is really slow... honestly surprised they can even stay afloat in a city location seeing 20-40pts/wk. Assuming they get about $100-150 per pt like most offices, their gross/net is only about $200k/100k... so the practice is only worth about $100k total to buy it (potentially add a tiny bit for any valuable equipment - depreciated - or goodwill). Still, if it works for you, it might be a good idea... better than starting with nothing. I was close to doing a similar deal a few years ago. I would also consider just offering them some token amount ($10k or $20k) and then a % of your collections (~10%) over the first two years... that would let you avoid even doing any loan or interest.

Last edited:
Sometimes these are the diamond in the rough practices if price is right. One very valuable component is that if its a major city then this doc could be on closed panels. This is a game changer when there is stiff competition and panels are closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Consulting companies I can talk to? How do I even search for such a niche service? Lol

If you have anyone you would refer I’m all ears!
I will find out who my friend used. This was related.to a bank who helped with the financing. So not an "expert" dpm

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes these are the diamond in the rough practices if price is right. One very valuable component is that if its a major city then this doc could be on closed panels. This is a game changer when there is stiff competition and panels are closed.
Yep... 100%. These are basically the best kind by far (area you want, basics but none of the frills, nowhere near maxed out so the price is cheap). The attractive and busy ones are good too, but you will pay for them and have little room to grow outside adding associates/locations.

As long as they have enough to get you rolling, the sky's the limit on these part time ones. The key is just to not get dragged into paying for "all the potential" or having to take out a rough loan (bank rate or owner's inflated price for financing it) that significantly worsens the value.

I will find out who my friend used. This was related.to a bank who helped with the financing. So not an "expert" dpm
Is medical mavin a consulting company? Saw that name on podiatryexchange

with about 10-12 patients or so per day.
You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. This is not well run.

Why is he wanting to sell after only being in practice for 10 years?
10-12 patients a day is at most 1000-1200 gross a day?
How is he in business for a decade with only 10 people a day?

Any panels that are closed that he is on are worthless if they aren't sending referrals to him.
A decent solo practice you should be seeing about 25 a day to make decent money.
RFC pays and is easy. Great pathology but seeing no one will make you bankrupt.

Why even bother "buying" this guy out. At those numbers he's only grossing at max 120k a year. Unless he accepts an offer of like 35k which includes all the equipment anything else is too high.

Yeah assets only purchase price. There is no goodwill in a practice with such low volume. You aren’t buying some steady referral source or even a well established “name” within a community, not that those things are worth much any more.

Any panels that are closed that he is on are worthless if they aren't sending referrals to him.
A decent solo practice you should be seeing about 25 a day to make decent money.

Why even bother "buying" this guy out. At those numbers he's only grossing at max 120k a year. Unless he accepts an offer of like 35k which includes all the equipment anything else is too high.
So there’s another office that he has. I haven’t been to that one but it’s in an area I’m not looking to be in.

So I think he’s been in business much longer (definitely a older guy), but this particular office is newer.

Hence why I think he’s wanting to sell. Getting old and planning a way out at some point. Has offered to help with transitions and stuff, although the info is kinda vague. And to be honest I’m not sure I’m even asking the right stuff.

I don’t really want to disclose the price just yet but I can tell u it’s higher than 35k.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also I’m told that it can “grow” as the pandemic is winding down and “people are going back to work”

• Haha
ahh the yin and Yang. For every crappy pp associate job offer there is the crappy pp for sale offer. The balance of the universe.

Also I’m told that it can “grow” as the pandemic is winding down and “people are going back to work”
Yeah, you can't pay for growth. You pay for what it is right now (usually consider the avg of the last two or three years). Excuses like "I don't do much surgery and you could add that," "numbers would be a lot better but pandemic," "the area is growing," "the city is beautiful and new jobs are coming," "I was on vacation a lot that year," etc mean absolutely nothing unless you let them make you overpay. You care only about equipment value (minimal due to depreciation) and active patient volume.

...and BTW, if this one is near where NC State plays and an hour south of that metro (his offices in FV and S cities), I would definitely avoid it (when you said part time and then added the part about 2nd office also, small chance it could be that one?). That's the one I looked at - in person over a few days along with a couple other NC opportunities, not just on the phone. Not only was the price unreasonable for what it actually produces (pt volume is minimal, most equipment is not even paid off, no marketing or dependable referrals, etc), but most unattractive, that doc has a very poor rep in the area, was sanctioned by state board last 2020, and got by for a long time basically just by being the only show in town (nearby pod groups are now moving closer in HS and other places).
You are buying basically nothing but a very minimal amount of patients (who mostly don't really like the doc/office) and a very mediocre physical (rental) office location on that one; he has been there for years yet is still scraping by and doing nursing homes since he can't keep the office busy despite zero competition... and he'll be toast whenever any decent nearby group/system or solo DPM sets up office in or near FV (might be me, but I like my present job pretty well, haha). I think he knows that competition will steamroll him since he has no real skill and is not too likable, and that's why he is selling asap (trying anyways). If you like the area (cool area if you like semi-rural, low DPM saturation, non-competes hold up), you could start up significantly cheaper and just take most of the area patients anyways. It is a waste of time talking numbers with him... he told me $250k when it is worth not even $100k on an amazing day with truckloads of goodwill and "potential" premium price. He also told me "cmon, I know you can afford it. Look at your car, you got a loan for that, and you could definitely get a loan to buy the office too" since I had a nice rental car. I told my partner her getting us a hot red sports car with her work points blew the deal :D

ahh the yin and Yang. For every crappy pp associate job offer there is the crappy pp for sale offer. The balance of the universe.
True story. :)

Last edited:

It can grow too if you were just to open next door and start your own place. Don't buy growth buy actual results.
Pandemic is winding down? The slowdown of patients due to the Pandemic was over in February of 2021. It's been a year since an appreciable loss of patient volume.

Not a Podiatrist so no idea on this, however, as someone who works with a lot of elderly patients, have you thought about doing independent contractor work for SNF, hospitals, rehab units? Probably more lucrative for you and there is quite a need out there. Just a thought.

I don’t think SNF work for podiatrists is as lucrative as it is for our specialty (PM&R). Just getting the patients into position for foot care is time consuming

Folks, don't "buy" someone else's practice. Someone in practice for 10 years, only seeing 10 patients a day in a major metro area? That's the bottom of the barrel. This doctor's practice is worth NOTHING. You are also guaranteed NOTHING. You buy him out, his patients leave because you aren't that doctor. Then what?

People need to start to understand what a practice IS. This doctor has nothing to sell you worth anything. People are not commodities. Only his ten year old equipment is. And it's worth less than zero. In fact, I'm pretty sure, if you look at what his practice is doing, he owes a ton of money. Any leases, his staff expenses, etc. His overhead is LIABILITY that everyone should calculate into what a practice is worth. Which basically means his practice is worth less than zero.

Unless this guy is going to finance the buy in, at a very low rate, for a very low amount, don't do it.

You're better off finding a little office, getting your own bank loan and doing it without anyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah assets only purchase price. There is no goodwill in a practice with such low volume. You aren’t buying some steady referral source or even a well established “name” within a community, not that those things are worth much any more.
Also I was thinking big city referral sources might be unpredictable. Most of the docs we’d would use (family, IM, etc) are employed by a big university system.

So my concern is if I bought the practice, those referral sources can trickle out. It’s not like it’s possible to go chat with these docs to get to know them either. I’ve been to one of the offices for a unrelated personal issue and I find it hard to imagine some pod coming with with cookies and donuts to chat up the staff.

Everyone’s responses here are much appreciated. It’s tough looking at practices but it helps to run my thoughts by u seasoned guys.

Folks, don't "buy" someone else's practice. Someone in practice for 10 years, only seeing 10 patients a day in a major metro area? That's the bottom of the barrel. This doctor's practice is worth NOTHING. You are also guaranteed NOTHING. You buy him out, his patients leave because you aren't that doctor. Then what?

People need to start to understand what a practice IS. This doctor has nothing to sell you worth anything. People are not commodities. Only his ten year old equipment is. And it's worth less than zero. In fact, I'm pretty sure, if you look at what his practice is doing, he owes a ton of money. Any leases, his staff expenses, etc. His overhead is LIABILITY that everyone should calculate into what a practice is worth. Which basically means his practice is worth less than zero.

Unless this guy is going to finance the buy in, at a very low rate, for a very low amount, don't do it.

You're better off finding a little office, getting your own bank loan and doing it without anyone.
This is a great take. There’s are some days where I’ve seen the schedule and it’s maybe 15-17 or so, but based on what you guys stated even that’s low.

This is a great take. There’s are some days where I’ve seen the schedule and it’s maybe 15-17 or so, but based on what you guys stated even that’s low.
15-17 QUALITY cases > 40 nail trims. It's all about per patient average.

You need an accountant to understand the math. What is the cash flow and operating cost? --- in basic terms How much money is coming in and how much is going out?
In: cash and insurance payments Out: buyout, rent, staff, supplies, electricity, etc. What is the net amount? Contact your school- you aren't the first to try to figure this out. When you do buy, do due diligence : tax filings, accounts payable, etc. Sometimes business have positive net position, but delay in payments mean they are always behind in getting cash. How much do YOU need to clear to cover debt and living expense while you build the business? Don't forget - what is going on in the area? --- new developments, new roads, etc. This could be a + or - for growth. Is a buyout better than starting fresh? If you start fresh-- will a bank give you the business loan?

Seeing the schedule means nothing. Have you been there? How many showed up? What were the likely collections? How many procedures, xrays, new patients, etc? Anyone could show you a typed up schedule where they have 100 per day with all ingrowns, new patients, surgery, etc... yet you'd find there are mysteriously 70 or 80 or more of them being no-shows.

As was said, what matters is the gross/net collections. 10 or even 15pts per day is nothing. Any DPM should be able to get to 10pts/day (and 5 days/wk) even if they started from nothing just a year ago. Make sure you have seen the office in action firsthand (and even those days will probably be as loaded up as possible if they know you're coming in advance). Potential or what the owner says or a few schedules emailed to you or excuses for why the place hasn't produced more are meaningless. You have to go with the real numbers: collections and equipment value.

Like I said above, if this is the suburbs NC one, you can PM me if you want info. The basic thing is that it's impossible to make a good deal with a bad person, though. If yours has potential and quality and the doc seems legit, go check it out (and do that again if the first look is good). The sooner you go see it, the better... save yourself time. Everything sounds good when you are just hearing their sales pitch on the phone or in emails.

Kinda risky to base anything on this assumption right?
People who know the value of what they're selling do not need to advertise as if they're trying to sell a used car that will fall apart in 3-4 days.

Pandemic winding down and people going back to work is utter drivel and cannot be factored into anything remotely concrete for the value of the practice. Especially if he is only seeing 10-12 patients per day right now.

thank you everyone for these responses. Everyone’s insight has been really helpful here.
It really seems like he is trying to sell on the “prospective future” I’m looking at the schedule for this week (shadowing) and there’s 20 patients total for the week…. :/

Overhead issues such as staff and rent worry me in these situations

there’s another practice I looked at that seems like an option too. Still have to visit and learn about it. There’s a 15-20% medicaid population in that area however.

The previous one I looked at (20 patients a week one), only has maybe 5%.

How is Medicaid for podiatry? Does it pay? Worth taking that insurance?

thank you everyone for these responses. Everyone’s insight has been really helpful here.
It really seems like he is trying to sell on the “prospective future” I’m looking at the schedule for this week (shadowing) and there’s 20 patients total for the week…. :/

Overhead issues such as staff and rent worry me in these situations
Rent sure. Staff? Plan on firing them all within 6 months.

How is Medicaid for podiatry
Medicaid for podiatry is just as ****ty as medicaid for any medical speciality. However Medicaid pays pretty well for surgery as long as you get pre-authorization so it doesn't get denied after you perform the work. Also medicaid fees are available online in my state and I believe that goes for all the states. Jus google it.

What works for me with medicaid patient is to see them once and try to address their concern at that first visit and discharge. Max I see them twice and if not better than I start discussing surgery or refer to physical therapy for 3 months and have them call me back if they are not better. Initial office pays well for medicaid but then the follow up is the ****ty part. Even for ulcers or wounds, I see them once and send them to wound care clinic. For MSK pathology, give the a long acting steroid shot and tell them to call back if not better in a few weeks. For ingrown nail nails, I do the procedure first visit and tell them to call me if they are not better. I only reschedule peds for f/u ingrown nail procedure to see how they are doing.

I started doing this because I notice that Medicaid patient are notorious for not showing to their follow up appointment or showing up extremely late. So to cut down the no-shows, I just tell them to call the office if they think they need a follow up appointment. Helps keeps my schedule clear and open for new patients.

I don't only do this on Medicaid patients but even private insurance. A slow day, even if I see only 15-20 patients, more than half of them are new patients. I like to keep it that way. I don't want to see 50 patients a day with over 90% are follow-up and half are medicaid patients. I make more seeing fewer patients and most of them are new patients that want to be seen the same week. And of course I verify every new patient insurance and collect $$ (co-pay, deductible, co-insurance) at time of service.

What works for me with medicaid patient is to see them once and try to address their concern at that first visit and discharge. Max I see them twice and if not better than I start discussing surgery or refer to physical therapy for 3 months and have them call me back if they are not better.

I started doing this because I notice that Medicaid patient are notorious for not showing to their follow up appointment or showing up extremely late. So to cut down the no-shows, I just tell them to call the office if they think they need a follow up appointment. Helps keeps my schedule clear and open for new patients.

I don't only do this on Medicaid patients but even private insurance. A slow day, even if I see only 15-20 patients, more than half of them are new patients. I like to keep it that way. I don't want to see 50 patients a day with over 90% are follow-up and half are medicaid patients. I make more seeing fewer patients and most of them are new patients that want to be seen the same week. And of course I verify every new patient insurance and collect $$ (co-pay, deductible, co-insurance) at time of service.
This unfortunately is the bane of private practice. Most people cancel their follow-up: either you got them better, they have a high deductible so whats the point in going unless they really need you. You are doing great monitoring your appointment blocks so there is always a spot to cram someone in.

Another issue with medicaid is that some plans can require PCP referral. I dont even bother scheduling them until they/I have referral in hand. Otherwise I tell them come in and pay cash for the visit and skip headache. Surprisingly they roll a wad of cash out when that ingrown is killing them.

Keep hustling as you've been doing. So many times you call an office and its 4 weeks to see a doctor. Those practices can keep their C&C. I always want the ingrown or other pressing injury.

Medicaid reimbursement is going to vary based on your state. In my state its pitful. Everything is essentially free. This creates a lot of weird issues - if you are the only doctor who takes Medicaid in your area then you will fill up with Medicaid simply by gravity. There is no where else for them to go. If you are in an area where the PCPs think podiatrists solely exist to trim nails - Ugh. You may even have to create policies that only a certain number of visits can be dedicated to Medicaid patients. It can be difficult to refer/find other specialists to help treat. I have some MD residents who come out - they indicated to me their clinic is the only clinic of their specialty that sees Medicaid for the next 3+ hours (its more than 3). When I asked google the distance it wanted to sell me a plane ticket. Medicaid patients unfortunately as indicated above are notorious for no showing. There are also weird issues that happen when Medicaid mixes with Medicare advantage plans. I've read horror stories online of doctors being told they can't collect a Medicare Advantage Copay ie. $40 but Medicaid won't pay the amount back. How true are all these stories - I don't know.

In short. Reimbursement is variable. If everyone takes it then it can be less painful. If there's a county hospital or academic medical center near you that takes it - that can help since you can refer to other specialists if they show up with 10+ problems.

A friend of mine lives in a state where Medicaid either (a) Pays Medicare rates - seemed to be the case for surgery (b) or pays about 80% of Medicare for in clinic.

I have no idea if Medicare requires prior authorizations (I see above referrals required). In my residency state Medicaid got taken over by private companies and it became hell on earth for the hospitals.

Final thing. You'll have to find a way to square with yourself your medical practice and who you are as a person. If someone shows up in my office with an infected toenail pouring pus and no cash for a down payment - I just do the procedure. That said, all of that sort of thing is easier when you are doing well elsewhere.

Medicaid patients notoriously no show me.
As Hey Brother said its variable state to state and region to region.
Medicaid pays me $6 for a 15min follow up office visit but they pain 100% medicare for any procedure.
But for $6 and a 40ish % no show rate its not worth taking this insurance IMO/In my location.

This unfortunately is the bane of private practice. Most people cancel their follow-up: either you got them better, they have a high deductible so whats the point in going unless they really need you. You are doing great monitoring your appointment blocks so there is always a spot to cram someone in...

...What works for me with medicaid patient is to see them once and try to address their concern at that first visit and discharge...

...I don't only do this on Medicaid patients but even private insurance...

It all depends on what payers you are dealing with and what your practice style is (long term relationships vs F&A urgent care).

For practices with majority private payers, I virtually never PRN them unless clearly fully healed with no other complaints. I will actually talk to any front desk staff who I hear saying "do you want to just call us whenever you want to come back?" I instruct them to always make the appt communicated them by me or one of the MAs... pt can change or cancel it later if they need to, but I want it on the appt list. Many pts since don't mind the copays since they have good insurance because they have good jobs and are financially stable.

I see nail procedures and other ~10d global stuff at 2wk (then maybe again 2mo if not healed for a matrix), heel pain 2-4wks depending on pt, fx and surgery longer and longer f/u as they heal... just keep making the f/u longer and longer and tell them they can cancel if they. I feel it is much better to have people have a card, a reminder call, etc... you never want them to feel abandoned if they still have pain or had a procedure. Besides, the more you get your office name out there, the more traffic through our office, the better. Those and nails are often your easier visits of the day, but you get a lot of procedures and DME out of f/u pts (for same or a new complaint), and you build trust in that way by making sure they were satisfied with their plan and results. Those become the patients who send you family, co-workers, talk you up on FB, etc etc. They can always cancel if they feel fine (or don't like their bill), and likewise, you can always do a few of them as no-charge if they are indeed fully healed with no issues.

I totally understand wanting to be able to see new patients... they are obviously the life blood of any practice. When you have adequate staffing and they're trained, the no-shows aren't really an issue (and you shouldn't have many if appt reminder/confirm system is good). You can still add in injury, etc new pts and double and overbook without much problem. I will always stay a bit late or double for a known pt with an injury to save them a UC/ER copay and long wait for a high bill. A lot of it is just working with your front desk/phone staff.

Patient top complaint about the doctor him/herself is ALWAYS that they didn't spend enough time, didn't care about pt complaint, rushed, didn't listen, abandoned them when they weren't better, etc. You can mitigate a LOT of these issues if you build ongoing relationships with the people.
(complaints doc can't do much as about are obviously bill, phone/desk service, appt waits, etc)

My big take on the above is that discussing the follow-up isn't glamorous but its a great way to tie together the encounter. It also gives you an opportunity restate their situation - doing better or not, need more care or not. I'm in the middle of nowhere so I have encounters where we acknowledge that the patient drove 4 hours to get to me and how we'll plan the next visit. If I recommend PT but you aren't sure you want to do it yet I either need to give you a script in hand now or you need to call me so you don't drive 4 hours again just for me to tell you that you need PT or an MRI.

Meanwhile in PM News podiatry onychomycosis billing - you see a patient, order labs, and then arrange a follow-up visit to prescribe a medication that you already told them you'd prescribe if the labs are normal.

Meanwhile in PM News podiatry
You mean the same forum that argues whether to keep a DEA#... $700 for 3 years... as if it will make or break them taking their wife(ves) out to dinner?

• Haha
You mean the same forum that argues whether to keep a DEA#... $700 for 3 years... as if it will make or break them taking their wife(ves) out to dinner?
I hadn't read the feed in awhile and figured I had missed something - like something much have changed or become more onerous or whatever.

My residency *didn't pay for my DEA*. As a broke resident I feel like I had grounds to complain about that. As a practice owner that doesn't hit the top-50 things I would fix/complain about.

A few thoughts

-We tend to be absolutists on this forum ie. "this practice is only worth depreciated equipment". I think there's value in that as a counter-voice to the historic ridiculousness that is "high percentage of collections"

-There is some middle-point somewhere that is beneficial to both sides. ie. fake example. If it costs $100K to start a practice and someone has a decent practice for sale and asks $110K - there's some uncommon rare world where this could make sense. Theoretically an already functioning entity should be more valuable than an entity that hasn't come into existence yet.

-That said, let's be real. If god came down from heaven and had you the buyer and the old owner the seller write down what you each thought the practice was actually worth - offers between $0-50,000 would still be closer to the true reality of the practice value than what most owners would say. The above fake example is really imaginary because of current owner insanity.

-Remember - old pods aren't reading this forum. They are reading PM News and MM and whatever trash shows up full of advertisements where practice evaluators describe happy hand shakes and no sale should take place without their help.

-There is no world ever where collections should have anything to do with buying. My arguments on this are normally focused on partnership buy-ins and I said this recently elsewhere, but no collections based discussion ever seems to focus on cash flow. Before I joined my practice the overhead was 65%. If you bought that for some high percentage of collections and "perfectly" maintained the machine you'd still be having to earn $3 to keep $1 and then you'd ultimately pay back at that 3:1 ratio. Think about how terrible that math is.

-The number of things that can and will go wrong after buying is endless.

-A married podiatry couple spoke at an awful podiatry event I went to forever ago. They bought someone's practice and like literally didn't see more than 2 patients a day for months. My memory of their lecture was that they thought they'd purchased an already busy ready to go practice with patients available.

-You will fire all of the staff. A variety of reasons. There are a in fact a lot of podiatry practices that simply pay nothing ($10/hour and no benefits). Staff come and go - they are meant to turn over. They are constantly hiring and firing - its just how they do things. If on day #1 you decree that I'm going to keep these people, give them raises, and make this work because I don't like turn over and the basis for your decision was the practice's low overhead - well, that's gone. The staff will often be loyal to the old doctor or have bad habits. Worse still - a different type of practice is one in which the longest serving staff are in fact overpaid. Sometimes the original owner will have a secretary who has been there for 25+ years and that many raises can add up.

-The owner may tell you that they'll be able to get you onto all manner of panels and insurances that are closed. That may or may not be relevant in your area, but insurance companies often add new providers at far lower fee schedules than established providers. You know what you are worth but untangling these later when you realize you are working for free is complicated and annoying and insurance companies view the current fee schedule as the starting point.

-Some doctors do all sorts of things with patients that you won't want to continue - below market cash rates, free "strapping and taping and padding" and other ridiculous stuff. Modifying orthotics that you didn't sell them for free. Starting your own thing makes it easier to tell people - I don't do that.

-You are likely to want your own EHR. If you've "paid" for patient charts - now you'll have to pay to convert them over. Except you probably won't get many of the patients back regardless.

-The office may have all manner of legacy old costs or carry-overs or bad contracts for services you need to continue.

-The practice may simply have a bad reputation in town. This can be sometimes reflected in Google reviews but in general most practices really don't have that many reviews to begin with. People often tell me about another provider in town who sucks. His reviews are iffy, but they are no where close to iffy enough compared to what I've seen and been told about. Another provider in my town who also is meh literally has a 5 star review. People show up pissed that he missed a Charcot diagnosis on a rocker bottom foot.

-My experience visiting old offices is that a lot of old pods don't intend to invest a dollar back into the business. The paint on the walls isn't the only thing that's breaking down. When we talk about buying equipment only you should know the equipment is probably trash also.

-If they own the building they are your landlord. If you thought part of the value of the business was the idea of being in a location that has continuously been a podiatry practice and they up the rent on you - you'll lose value if you move.

You think you are buying a functional infrastructure - a tool that just needs a new hand to turn the wheel. It already works, I just need to take over. In fact, it may be worthwhile to build your own system exactly in the manner that you choose. That said, that comes with its own cost too. People do fail. I met a guy semi-recently who started his own practice. He was beyond grateful to be hired by a hospital.

Reactions: 2 users
...-We tend to be absolutists on this forum ie. "this practice is only worth depreciated equipment". I think there's value in that as a counter-voice to the historic ridiculousness that is "high percentage of collections"...

...-There is some middle-point somewhere that is beneficial to both sides. If it costs $100K to start a practice and someone has a decent practice for sale and asks $110K - there's some uncommon rare world where this could make sense. Theoretically an already functioning entity should be more valuable than an entity that hasn't come into existence yet.

...-There is no world ever where collections should have anything to do with buying. My arguments on this are normally focused on partnership buy-ins and I said this recently elsewhere, but no collections based discussion ever seems to focus on cash flow. Before I joined my practice the overhead was 65%. If you bought that for some high percentage of collections and "perfectly" maintained the machine you'd still be having to earn $3 to keep $1 and then you'd ultimately pay back at that 3:1 ratio. Think about how terrible that math is...

...-You will fire all of the staff. A variety of reasons. ...

...-The owner may tell you that they'll be able to get you onto all manner of panels and insurances that are closed. That may or may not be relevant in your area, but insurance companies often add new providers at far lower fee schedules than established providers...

...-The practice may simply have a bad reputation in town...
A lot of good things to think about here. ^^^

I agree that price/value is up to the buyer. I have made at least a few offers that people here would say are too much based on pt volume and gross income. I liked the area, location, and/or the doc rep and pt mix... and when you think of it, every practice/office is a 1 of 1, esp in areas where there are not very many DPMs. Some are great places to live, some are rock star offices the community likes, some make money hand over fits, some are all of those. They are not simple commodities. While I may sometimes tweak the offers I've made for my weakness of not having a cash/finance offer or for area of 'growth' and 'potential,' the proven core value and profitability must already be there also. It's often one of those "When negotiating with other, don’t try to get the biggest slice of the cake, but rather find a division that is acceptable to all parties."
Likewise, I've seen a lot of other practices that I wouldn't dream of buying for $1, and I ended the visit early without even talking money. It is just too much of an overhaul if it's not fair location, setup, reputation, etc. Again, you can't make a good deal with a bad person/office. I agree that you will typically fire all of the staff soon after a takeover - or give them a raise if you luck out and there are any of quality and mindset.

It is harder to start up, but you get to pick location, equipment, etc. So, costs equal, I think that almost everyone would choose start solo over taking over another DPM. The reason so many DPMs do a takeover is usually because owner will finance or the bank will finance a 'proven' business... and they couldn't finance going solo. The reason large groups like the one I work now like with do the takeovers (if available... as opposed to starting a new office in that city) is because they want to gobble up good rep offices and have the pt volume quicker. They are willing to pay for that, but they generally won't buy crap practices (even busy ones), though.

I disagree a bit about collections not mattering. The gross/net absolutely does matter more than anything else (once it has been deemed a good/great quality office and rep). Those objective tax returns and the revenue math is your quantitative start point to getting a deal done. You have to see what is possible in the area in $$$ terms. No, the buyer won't do all of the same procedures/services/DME the seller did, but it is a solid starting ground. Without those figures, it is totally just subjective as to how many charts are active or inactive, how good/bad location is, if equipment will last, community reputation, potential, network of referrals, blah blah. Sellers lie about that subjective stuff until they're blue in the face to inflate price. You can use gross if you want (I usually do... and just say overhead 60% if well staffed/busy type of office... or 50% if more of a bare bones minimal staff/schedule office... with maybe +/- 5% factor for area rent/costs/wages).

...At the end of the day, sellers will get what a buyer will pay (and can pay). If both are happy, as you said, that's a win. The seller might have a few bids, or they might just get laughed at again and again. If it's a busy and high quality office/doc, then they will probably have DPM buyers, group buyers, and even hospital buyers. I have seen a few of those, and while I made offer, I'm sure they probably had a better (all cash) offer by the end of the month.
The most common stumbling block I have repeatedly run into is honestly the owner financing - yet also relinquishing control. That is a tough thing for a lot of solo or small group docs to do if they aren't getting a check for 100% the purchase price (in which case I'd obviously just start solo). A lot of them want to hold on to the place and keep a watchful eye or some kind of "partnership" until you've paid the whole price, but you obviously can't leave the door cracked open for them to change the price or terms once they see you growing the volume and revenues. It is a tough situation that needs a brief 3-12mo transition period to transfer goodwill and then the seller is OUT of the picture via attorney-created transfer plan. That is a deal breaker in a lot of cases when you don't have the cash/financing and need owner financing.

Last edited:
A lot of good things to think about here. ^^^

I agree that price/value is up to the buyer. I have made at least a few offers that people here would say are too much. I liked the area, location, and/or the doc rep and pt mix... and when you think of it, every practice/office is a 1 of 1, esp in areas where there not very many DPMs. They are not simple commodities. While I may sometimes tweak the offers I've made for my weakness of not having a cash/finance offer or for area of 'growth' and 'potential,' the proven core value and profitability must already be there also. It's often one of those "When negotiating with other, don’t try to get the biggest slice of the cake, but rather find a division that is acceptable to all parties."
Likewise, I've seen a lot of other practices that I wouldn't dream of buying for $1, and I ended the visit early without even talking money. It is just too much of an overhaul if it's not fair location, setup, reputation, etc. Again, you can't make a good deal with a bad person/office. I agree that you will typically fire all of the staff soon after a takeover - or give them a raise if you luck out and there are any of quality and mindset.

It is harder to start up, but you get to pick location, equipment, etc. So, costs equal, I think that, costs equal, almost everyone would choose start solo over taking over another DPM. The reason so many DPMs do a takeover is usually because owner will finance or the bank will finance a 'proven' business... and they couldn't finance going solo. The reason large groups like the one I work now like with do the takeovers (if available... as opposed to starting a new office in that city) is because they want to gobble up good rep offices and have the pt volume quicker. They are willing to pay for that, but they generally won't buy crap practices (even busy ones), though.

I disagree a bit about collections not mattering. The gross/net absolutely does matter more than anything else (once it has been deemed a good/great quality office and rep). Those objective tax returns and the revenue math is your quantitative start point to getting a deal done. You have to see what is possible in the area in $$$ terms. Without those figures, it is totally just subjective as to how many charts are active or inactive, how good/bad location is, if equipment will last, community reputation, potential, network of referrals, blah blah. Sellers lie about that subjective stuff until they're blue in the face to inflate price. You can use gross if you want (I usually do... and just say overhead 60% if well staffed/busy type of office... or 50% if more of a bare bones minimal staff/schedule office... with maybe +/- 5% factor for area rent/costs/wages).

...At the end of the day, sellers will get what a buyer will pay (and can pay). If both are happy, as you said, that's a win. The seller might have a few bids, or they might just get laughed at again and again. If it's a busy and high quality office/doc, then they will probably have DPM buyers, group buyers, and even hospital buyers. I have seen a few of those, and while I made offer, I'm sure they probably had a better (all cash) offer by the end of the month.
The most common stumbling block I have repeatedly run into is honestly the owner financing - yet also relinquishing control. That is a tough thing for a lot of solo or small group docs to do if they aren't getting a check for 100% the purchase price (in which case I'd obviously just start solo). A lot of them want to hold on to the place and keep a watchful eye or some kind of "partnership" until you've paid the whole price, but you obviously can't leave the door cracked open for them to change the price or terms once they see you growing the volume and revenues. It is a tough situation that needs a brief 3-12mo transition period to transfer goodwill and then the seller is OUT of the picture. That is a deal breaker in a lot of cases when you don't have the cash/financing and need owner financing.
Alot of good points here and in @heybrother 's post.

Against my better judgement I am in the process of purchasing a solo practice after 5 years in one of those highly sought hospital gigs. It is definitely a leap of faith and I will try to update this thread as I go through the process.

Ultimately, location and desire to "run the show" has been the driving factor. Hospital beauracracy just wears on you if you don't have competent, like minded support.

To add some real life application to some of the comments above, the deal as it stands is ~33% of the average of collections over the past 5 years. ~25% down, the rest is owner financed over 3 years. I could pay cash upfront, but desire to keep more cash on hand in case things are bumpy to start. Owner desires to stay on and will for atleast a 1 year term, 1-2 days/week as a 1099 at 30% collections. Important to note 100% ownership is transferred day 1. Practice is pretty bread and butter, no sx other than office procedures as he has stopped sx over past 3 years, but refers out ~4-6 prospective cases/week (have reviewed records/referrals). So there is that "growth potential", but im not paying a premium for it.

Interesting contradiction to above, I am hopeful I can keep the staff on for atleast 10-18 months as we get our legs beneath us as they seem really great and the right type of personalities for growth. The longest tenured has only been with the owner for ~1.5 years.

Overhead needs some serious cleanup, but the hard assets and rent are sound. Current owner definitely prioritized a hands off model over profits, at least over the past 5 years.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts as we proceed, but echoing above...location, reputation and paying for primarily tangible assets and setting firm expectations regarding transition are paramount. All of that said, if you know what you're looking for you can find some value in practices that aren't entirely optimized, but have the rest of the recipe to be successful.

Reactions: 6 users
I just referred a medicaid patient for home health.

The home health refused to accept the patient unless I sent them 2 medicare home health patients.

Thought that was interesting..... (and illegal).

I just referred a medicaid patient for home health.

The home health refused to accept the patient unless I sent them 2 medicare home health patients.

Thought that was interesting..... (and illegal).
Not sure the legality, but this is common. I think it is not right.

Just to play devil’s advocate. How would you handle the situation when a particular family physician sends Medicaid heel pain/ankle sprains etc to you and their private insurance to Ortho?

Reactions: 2 users

Just to play devil’s advocate. How would you handle the situation when a particular family physician sends Medicaid heel pain/ankle sprains etc to you and their private insurance to Ortho?
I had a pharmacy turn down a Norco prescription from a patient with a commercial blue cross because they claimed they didn't make enough money on the prescription. That has to be breaking a contract somehow.

Touché

But I would never be so blatant about it.

And that does sometimes happen

Touché

But I would never be so blatant about it.

And that does sometimes happen
Yah usually it is always our quota is currently full.

The only way for the quota to not be full is what they told you or hospital case management that alternates discharges without regard to insurance.

Many PCPs have paid position “director” with a home health company or companies and have a history of sending the good to their company and dumping on others.

Many podiatrists do this with their surgery center and the hospital. The hospital will still take their cases, but management may become a bit passive aggressive.

Last edited:
How would you handle the situation when a particular family physician sends Medicaid heel pain/ankle sprains etc to you and their private insurance to Ortho?
Don't hospital ER and urgent care centers already do this routinely. Send the private insurance to their own group or friendly docs for follow up and send medicaid or self-pay to others. Quid pro quo is imbedded in every aspect of society. Nothing new to see here.