Buying a used microscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levels x3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience buying a used microscope? There seem to be a lot of online sellers of used equipment, but I would have no idea if any of them are reputable.

I would like to get an Olympus BX40 or 41 to replicate what I used during residency as the group I've joined is having me use a BH2 when I start (don't laugh...it's my dream job in every other way). As there doesn't appear to be any plan to get me a new one in the near future, I might buy one myself. For example, I've seen some refurbished BX41's with standard plan objectives in the $4500 - $5000 range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you take case slides home, or is that a HIPAA violation? Just wondering. I've always wanted to a scope to study at home, but where does one get teaching cases if taking work home is prohibited?

Does anyone have any experience buying a used microscope? There seem to be a lot of online sellers of used equipment, but I would have no idea if any of them are reputable.

I would like to get an Olympus BX40 or 41 to replicate what I used during residency as the group I've joined is having me use a BH2 when I start (don't laugh...it's my dream job in every other way). As there doesn't appear to be any plan to get me a new one in the near future, I might buy one myself. For example, I've seen some refurbished BX41's with standard plan objectives in the $4500 - $5000 range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Steal one from your old residency.

Too late...they'd definitely notice if I wandered back in now.