Buying a used microscope

Started by levels x3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

levels x3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any experience buying a used microscope? There seem to be a lot of online sellers of used equipment, but I would have no idea if any of them are reputable.

I would like to get an Olympus BX40 or 41 to replicate what I used during residency as the group I've joined is having me use a BH2 when I start (don't laugh...it's my dream job in every other way). As there doesn't appear to be any plan to get me a new one in the near future, I might buy one myself. For example, I've seen some refurbished BX41's with standard plan objectives in the $4500 - $5000 range. Any thoughts or suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Can you take case slides home, or is that a HIPAA violation? Just wondering. I've always wanted to a scope to study at home, but where does one get teaching cases if taking work home is prohibited?
 
Does anyone have any experience buying a used microscope? There seem to be a lot of online sellers of used equipment, but I would have no idea if any of them are reputable.

I would like to get an Olympus BX40 or 41 to replicate what I used during residency as the group I've joined is having me use a BH2 when I start (don't laugh...it's my dream job in every other way). As there doesn't appear to be any plan to get me a new one in the near future, I might buy one myself. For example, I've seen some refurbished BX41's with standard plan objectives in the $4500 - $5000 range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Steal one from your old residency.