Buying embroidered scrubs. Do or don't?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8baller268

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen graduating medical students & residents buy scrubs with their name and specialty embroidered on them. Someone told me it makes you look like a douche bag/tool and ppl will talk about you behind your back. Is it really that serious? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen graduating medical students & residents buy scrubs with their name and specialty embroidered on them. Someone told me it makes you look like a douche bag/tool and ppl will talk about you behind your back. Is it really that serious? Thoughts?
I've found that people who work in the hospital setting will talk about you behind your back regardless

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Only for dentists and plastic surgeons. I think it’s tacky. I prefer not even wearing the white coat. I need my badge so I don’t get fired and a stethoscope for the one heart murmur I hear a week. Be kind and everyone will remember your name.

Totally do it, and don't forget to add BSN, RSN, QRS, SPCC, Knights Templar after str8baller268

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
I think it looks terrible even when attendings do it

Edit: Specifically referring to embroidering scrubs. Looks fine/normal in a white coat.

Reactions: 4 users

If you do this, you better do it on Figs scrubs.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I've noticed tons of people do it in the ED. Maybe their programs/departments do it for them.

I only ever wear hospital-issued scrubs, though. I think it's kinda nasty to wear personal scrubs in direct patient care. You think you can get them all messy, but then you still have to wash them in your own washing machine. The only time I wear personal scrubs is to/from the hospital (and those are scrubs I accidentally brought back from my away sub-is in med school)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it if you're a resident or student. Because yes, people will talk behind your back. Not nearly close to everyone, but you can bet people will. And it will make your Attendings and everyone else zero in on you for ripe-pimping, or people will judge your work much harder.

Now, if you wanted to embroider cool star wars patches on your scrubs, EVERYBODY is 100% on it. No joke actually, the cool nurses and doctors slap it on their scrubs and it's high-fives all around. I proclaim my allegiance by having the Imperial Logo on my scrubs. No hippy-rebel scum on my service!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Definitely not as a medical student. As a resident, though, I actually don't think it's inappropriate, especially if you include the fact that you're a resident below your name. I imagine that this is very specialty-dependent, though.

Don't do it if you're a resident or student. Because yes, people will talk behind your back. Not nearly close to everyone, but you can bet people will. And it will make your Attendings and everyone else zero in on you for ripe-pimping, or people will judge your work much harder.

Now, if you wanted to embroider cool star wars patches on your scrubs, EVERYBODY is 100% on it. No joke actually, the cool nurses and doctors slap it on their scrubs and it's high-fives all around. I proclaim my allegiance by having the Imperial Logo on my scrubs. No hippy-rebel scum on my service!

Now I feel like I need a baby yoda and mandalorian patch on my scrubs.

Reactions: 1 user
Now I feel like I need a baby yoda and mandalorian patch on my scrubs.

A bounty hunter/mandalorian insignia would be highly appropriate and kick-butt for sure. Yoda is associated with rebel-scumery and Emperorcide though.

I too "accidentally" bring back scrubs from the hospital.
Haha yep. One set was "accidental" and one was truly accidental. I meant to send them back with one of my several classmates who matched there but never ended up seeing them again before graduation.

The "accidental" set were the most comfortable scrubs I've ever worn and they outright said they didn't care if we "accidentally" took them.

Would never wear any of them in a clinical setting again unless I work at those respective institutions one day. Luckily my job is a 100% hospital-issued scrub kind of job.

Reactions: 1 users

I've never known a resident to buy these, but the DEPARTMENT will buy them for their residents.

Department buying = not a tool
You buying it for yourself = tool

It’s not actively frowned upon, but I can see why people may think you’re a tool. I personally wouldn’t do it, but I likely won’t judge you if you did, unless you were a douche, in which case I’d just attribute it to your overall douchiness. If you’re a med student, then you’re automatically a douche pulling a move like this.

You are worried about being judged by adults who have nothing better to than gossip about people's clothes? It's sounds like a them problem. Everyone talks about making culture medicine less toxic, which involves getting over pettiness.

Wearing scrubs with your name on it doesn't effect anyone else, so if you think it's cool, go for it.

Well-stated.

Who knew so many could be triggered by something so intrinsically innocuous? An open question to me is whether such pettiness/toxicity/negative projection is more a reflection of some innate proclivities or is instead inculcated somewhere along the medical education arc.

To be honest, whether the judgment of wearing embroidered scrubs is petty or ridiculous is neither here nor there. People will judge you for it and you may be treated differently because of it. You do not want to be perceived in a negative manner if you can help it, especially when you're completely at the mercy of the system as a medical student.

If you’re concerned about it, don’t do it. If you could careless then no one cares.

It’s like, should I go to my *whatever* interview in blue hair?

Guess what? It won’t impact me (interviewer) one bit. I will make my decisions by what I see and what I know. YOU, however, are the one being evaluated.

I like to stay under the radar and exceed expectation. But you do whatever you want.

By all means, get embroidered scrubs.

That way, when you still don't know how to dose insulin or put in an order set for admissions, at least everyone will know the name of said relatively clueless intern.

JK. Kinda. ;)

Obviously, if a resident is graduating, it's very different. Esp. in plastics, a field in which this type of pizzazz is expected by patients.

had a med student embroider his with ms3 added at the end....sure enough when he was a ms4....new coat with "ms4" instead and would introduce himself as a future surgeon

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
had a med student embroider his with ms3 added at the end....sure enough when he was a ms4....new coat with "ms4" instead and would introduce himself as a future surgeon

Haha dang props to him. I don’t have those kind of balls. If I was the attending I would have died laughing.

1586201597507.gif

Emerg, derm and plastics are the only specialties I’ve seen this, for staff or residents only. Definitely not med students.

If you’re concerned about it, don’t do it. If you could careless then no one cares.

It’s like, should I go to my *whatever* interview in blue hair?

Guess what? It won’t impact me (interviewer) one bit. I will make my decisions by what I see and what I know. YOU, however, are the one being evaluated.

I like to stay under the radar and exceed expectation. But you do whatever you want.

Well now, it's very reassuring to hear that someone wearing embroidered scrubs "won't impact" you. However, my heart does go out to those who, ostensibly, would be driven entirely to distraction by them.

I shudder to think what might become of those of such a persuasion were students to decide, en masse -- and in homage to Brehm's reactance theory -- to wear embroidered scrubs -- you know, to repudiate what they might (understandably) perceive to be some rather quaint and presumptuous aspects of the hidden curriculum.

I took a pair of hospital scrubs to get embroidered. My name looks nice next to, ‘PROPERTY OF VA MEDICAL SYSTEM.’

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users