Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Buying loupes

Discussion in 'Dental' started by wu8313, Dec 29, 2008.

1. wu8313

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am getting ready to buy loupes for dental school and was wondering what kind I should I get? I wear both glasses and contacts both interchangeably depending on the day so how do I compensate with that with loupes? Should I just get prescription loupes that are catered to my glasses or what? I want the ease of just one pair of loupes and being able to get one pair of loupes that can cater to both my contacts and glasses. Any suggestions?

#1 wu8313, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. psiyung

psiyung 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah, learn how to spell "loupes"

4. wu8313

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your so kind. Thank you for you help!

5. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    wait until skeul starts and ask the reps, no need to get them 8 months before skeul starts.

6. lotexigeus

lotexigeus Master Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    contacts and normal loupes.

your prescription could change.

butt yah, wate 4 skewl too strat.

7. devin_62

devin_62 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wouldn't buy loupes just yet. If you wait until school starts you will get a very generous student discount. But, just in case you want to do some research, Orascoptic makes some great loupes called the Revolution that have a removable lens with your prescription, and the part of the loupes that the telescopes attach onto flip up and down. That might be something you should check out.

8. DCRedskinsRule

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in the same boat...this is what I ended up doing...

9. BuckeyMcGee

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd stay away from surgitel - I've had a bad experience with their loupes falling apart and just bad quality, along with most other students here at Nova who have had them. Orascoptic and Designs for Vision seem pretty good...

10. lotexigeus

lotexigeus Master Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i've got surgitel's oakley half jacket TTLs and i love them. no problems..... yet. Surgitel is the only rep that comes to our school.

11. cookand

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would decide whether you would rather wear contacts every day, or glasses. Unless you want to buy 2 pair of loupes. I wear contacts and went with non-prescription. I also went with designs for vision loupes. I believe they will adjust your prescription 3 times, free of charge, while you are in school so you have time to change your mind. I would find out for sure the policies of different manufacturers and see who suits your needs the best.

12. Sephisabin

Sephisabin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Like others said, wait until school starts. You'll be able to try loupes from different makers to see which one is most comfortable. I have found the surgitel is the lightest and most comfortable, but they are also the most expensive. Wait until you can try out different brands and make a well informed decision.

13. DDSAg09

DDSAg09 Baylor Class of 2013
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm in the same boat as you. I wear contacts/glasses but decided to get loupes without my prescription. I didn't really see any reason to wait as they went ahead and gave me the student discount and I wanted to get used to them. I went with the Orascoptic Project Rudy 2.5x's.

#12 DDSAg09, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  14. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    It depends on if you're nearsighted or far sighted and how strong your prescription is but for me I'm near sighted and my prescription isn't too strong so I just got loupes with no prescription in them and I can use them either with or without contacts in.

15. haisha ni narou

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have the Designs For Vision "Buddy Holly" style 2.5x loupes. Love em. Most of our adjunct faculty, all practicing dentists, have the same ones which says something about them. The dentists say that DFV has great customer and quality service and the best product (in their opinions). Plus the frames are beefy so you can have them scribe in some sort of killer slogan on the arms like, "master of disaster" or whatever.

Just like everyone else said, wait for skewl to start. My loupes sell for some rediculous amount like 2.5k dollars but with our discount we got them for about 1k or something like that, light included.

16. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wear glasses everyday, and I despise contax, but I got the Heine 2.5's and I just wear contax while using them a few days/week. I'm betting my prescription will slightly change over the next year or two, so after I get my new Rx I'll get the removable lens inserts from Heine so I don't have to mess with contax.

I keep hearing bad things about surgitel loupes but my buddy got some and they're dead sexy! Not to mention they're lighter than Oprah 2 years ago.

17. 250rsavage

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am in a dental hygiene program and got the orascoptic revolutions with the student discount. They are awesome and well made. I would wait till you get in school to buy them, it will save you ~40% I think. The revolutions, are a TTL glasses that flip up, they are a hybrid. But what I really like is that if I wear contacts then I pop in the normal lens(no prescription), or if the have my glasses I put my prescription lens in and its just like I have my glasses on. The other nice thing is if your vision ever changes, send orascoptic your new prescription and for $100 you will have a new prescription lens. I love mine