Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Buying Your Own Microscope

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by nicknack11, Jul 21, 2002.

1. nicknack11

nicknack11 Junior Member

I just was notified by PCOM that each entering student must buy his or her own microscope. I assume this will be handled through the PCOM bookstore.

How much do the microscopes required by PCOM cost? Can they be rented or bought used?

Is this requirement typical of all medical schools, osteopathic or allopathic???:rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jimdo

jimdo Senior Member

I never had to buy a microscope and am surprised that your school would have you do so. Then again, its a good way for them to make even more money from you with something that will be used only a few times. It does not seem to make sense that you would need your own microscope and have never heard of that requirement in school before.

4. OsteoMed02

OsteoMed02 Senior Member

I will be a first year student at MSUCOM in the fall and I do not have to pay for use of a microscope either. They stated in their handbook that they have a well-stocked laboratory so that they do not need to be purchased. I don't know why they would make purchasing a scope at PCOM a requirement, but they must have good reasons. Have you tried to talk to anyone there on this matter? Best of luck to you!

Julia

5. nicknack11

nicknack11 Junior Member

Where's all the upper class PCOMers with their microscope information?

6. Nick,

I have heard there are rental services that you can use to get your scope for the time you need it. From what I hear, they are well maintained. I don't know who has the rentals, when we get this information, or how much it is. I just remember hearing it from a first year student there on my interview day.

See you in August,

7. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus

Wow. You have to buy your own microscopes? Ouch. I wouldn't buy one. I would just be friends with someone who owns one, OR I would go into it with a group. The last time I looked through the eyes of a microscope was 2.5 years ago...
    NSUCOM 2003