buzzed while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsamdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im so ridiculously nervous about exams that ive started drinking while im studying. otherwise my stomach feels knotted. i think it really helps my nerves. 99% is straight forward memorization anyway. hope i do okay!!!

Members don't see this ad.

im so ridiculously nervous about exams that ive started drinking while im studying. otherwise my stomach feels knotted. i think it really helps my nerves. 99% is straight forward memorization anyway. hope i do okay!!!
I "heard" it is better to also use something that sounds like tamphemtamines!

I've tried studying after stumbling home drunk when I feel like I am behind and feel guilty for going out. It gives temporary psychological relief but I can't remember any of it the next day. Any alcohol mixed with studying I think is a really bad idea. Not high yield. Dunno why one would be so nervous, tests are a piece of cake. I think beta blockers work best for calming nerves anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are buzzed when you study you have to be buzzed when you take the test.
That's just the way it is.

I've tried studying after stumbling home drunk when I feel like I am behind and feel guilty for going out. It gives temporary psychological relief but I can't remember any of it the next day. Any alcohol mixed with studying I think is a really bad idea. Not high yield. Dunno why one would be so nervous, tests are a piece of cake. I think beta blockers work best for calming nerves anyway.

I agree. I'm suprised so few people have caught on to that one.

My undergrad o-chem professor told us this was true. Then again, he was Irish and took three shots during an 8 am class to show us how the color change on a breathalyzer works. So he might not be the most reliable source.

Reactions: 1 user
My undergrad o-chem professor told us this was true. Then again, he was Irish and took three shots during an 8 am class to show us how the color change on a breathalyzer works. So he might not be the most reliable source.

This again proves that I missed my calling, I should have gotten my PhD in O-chem...In what other profession can you put back 3 shots of Jameson at 8 AM and have it be "instructive"?

On the anxiety treatment:
"EDIT" But what the hell do I know, it's at least what I'd say on my Behavioral exam Tuesday.

IMHO beer is cheaper and less time consuming than therapy and pharmacological treatments. Just don't start drinking to fall asleep, I did that in college for a while and it got pretty hard to sleep without it.

I LOVE THAT!!! tell me what campus, i wanna meet him :p

drinking before a test because of stress and studying while buzzed?

problematic my friend, problematic indeed . . .

Am I the only one with a warning buzzer going off about a slippery slope to substance abuse? This is EXACTLY the sort of thing we were warned about early in the year. The stress isn't going to go away. You might want to get some support and some help with finding a less destructive way to deal with it. Good luck, shoot me a PM if you need to talk about it.

Do you have a history of alcoholism in your family? Seriously, tread carefully here. Take up yoga, breathing exercises, or the like, it's a much safer bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned here -- although most of the replies seem to be joking about it, I'm worried that the OP is serious about using alcohol as a way to cope with stress. If your own health and well being aren't motivation enough, you are going to be responsible for patient care in a very short time, and you have an obligation to them to find a healthy way to deal with stress. You can't show up to the hospital buzzed. Our med school has counselors specifically reserved for med students -- maybe your school has a similar program. I suggest talking to someone about how you can deal with the stress in your life.

Its quite easy to find references to where people have tested this alcohol-memorisation technique. I remember one we looked at in undergrad where they used scuba divers. In the first experiment, they had a few drinks and were asked to memorise a list of words (nor numbers, can't remember!). The divers experienced better levels of recall when they consumed the same levels of alcohol when recalling the lists vs. when they consumed none. However, they also recalled more when they learned and subsequently recalled the lists underwater, vs learning them underwater and recalling them on land...ANYWAY don't drink and study at the same time otherwise you might have to drink to recall stuff better for exams, and no one likes their doctor smelling of booze...

Yeah, I seem to recall that there were several psychological studies which suggested that if you take a test in the same conditions in which you studied you tended to do better. I think they were talking about listening to music and such, but I imagine alcohol use is close enough.

go run ten miles. i hear that solves everything ;)

are people really missing the point this badly? The problem isn't the issue psychological association or whatever the hell it's called, and that he'll have to drink before the test to remember the stuff he studied most effectively, the problem is that he's using alcohol to deal with chronic stress! This isn't the same as having a few beers to wind down after an exam. This is basically self-medication for a chronic issue. Bad news. On your surgery rotation, I'm betting you're gonna be stressed before any new procedure you learn... are you going to drink to cope with that? This seriously is the pathway to addiction for a LOT of physicians, please get help now while you can nip it in the bud.

Yeah, I seem to recall that there were several psychological studies which suggested that if you take a test in the same conditions in which you studied you tended to do better. I think they were talking about listening to music and such, but I imagine alcohol use is close enough.
It's called "state-dependent learning," and it's why a lot of people who only play pool while at the bar can't play it when they're not intoxicated. Or so they say.

Mythbusters showed that you have better recall while hypnotized, so I hired a hypnotherapist for my finals.

. . .The problem isn't the issue psychological association or whatever the hell it's called, and that he'll have to drink before the test to remember the stuff he studied most effectively, the problem is that he's using alcohol to deal with chronic stress! This isn't the same as having a few beers to wind down after an exam. This is basically self-medication for a chronic issue. Bad news. On your surgery rotation, I'm betting you're gonna be stressed before any new procedure you learn... are you going to drink to cope with that? This seriously is the pathway to addiction for a LOT of physicians, please get help now while you can nip it in the bud.

I agree with this comment. :thumbup:

are people really missing the point this badly? The problem isn't the issue psychological association or whatever the hell it's called, and that he'll have to drink before the test to remember the stuff he studied most effectively, the problem is that he's using alcohol to deal with chronic stress! This isn't the same as having a few beers to wind down after an exam. This is basically self-medication for a chronic issue. Bad news. On your surgery rotation, I'm betting you're gonna be stressed before any new procedure you learn... are you going to drink to cope with that? This seriously is the pathway to addiction for a LOT of physicians, please get help now while you can nip it in the bud.

:thumbup:

I just can't take the OP's post seriously. I think he's fibbing.

Yup. I agree. I see this is a problem because in order to work, it requires dependence.

Take it from someone who can count the alcoholic drinks she has had since turning 21 on her fingers... there are other ways to deal with stress.

Seconded; isn't he a newbie and has he even responded? No use getting worked up about it. If he has probs he can deal with them, first step is recognizing it

Counting drinks since 21 on fingers...I don't think I could've done that by the end of that night on that bday

Counting drinks since 21 on fingers...I don't think I could've done that by the end of that night on that bday

Yeah, well it helps that I've spent 3 of those 5 years either pregnant or breastfeeding. Also - my hubby is pretty anti-alcohol. He's never had a drink in his life. Therefore I rarely have the opportunity to drink. We were engaged when I turned 21 and were married 6 months later. Its never been much of an issue though.

Yup. I agree. I see this is a problem because in order to work, it requires dependence.

Take it from someone who can count the alcoholic drinks she has had since turning 21 on her fingers... there are other ways to deal with stress.

So you actually waited until you were 21 to drink? Wow, I didn't think people really did that. I remember my friends and I putting so much effort into finding booze in the pre-21 days.

of course, you probably don't know what a good buzz feels like if you've only had <10 drinks, so maybe it IS a good way to cope with stress.

Unless you got plastered all the time as a teen.

But I think going drinking after exams is a great way to blow off steam.

I'm not as sure it's as serious as all that. Alot of people mix up a drink occasionally to calm the nerves. Is it ideal from a health standpoint? Probably not. But then again it hardly means that the OP is headed for disaster.

I do this at least once a month. If I'm really stressed about something (usually not a test) I'll have 1-2 drinks. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm totally CAGE negative.

So you actually waited until you were 21 to drink? Wow, I didn't think people really did that. I remember my friends and I putting so much effort into finding booze in the pre-21 days.

No, I drank more in the 16-18 range than I drank after 21. Thats why my post said "since 21". I drank a little in college, but not a whole lot. I went to a pretty strict college and most of my friends kept the rules so there was no reason for me not to.

Theres been a few times that I've drank enough that I didn't drive myself home (prior to 21), but those times were few and far between. I prefer to retain control of my body, so if I drink its because I like the taste of what I'm drinking - therefore I usually stop at one (and I won't drink beer).

I don't have a problem with individuals that drink (everything in moderation of course). I'm sure I would drink more if I were married to someone who drinks. I had a drink after my last test with some friends and will probably have a drink or two at our party after our final exam. However, I'm rarely offered the occasion and therefore I rarely drink.

anesthesia here i come

I'm not as sure it's as serious as all that. Alot of people mix up a drink occasionally to calm the nerves. Is it ideal from a health standpoint? Probably not. But then again it hardly means that the OP is headed for disaster.

I do this at least once a month. If I'm really stressed about something (usually not a test) I'll have 1-2 drinks. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm totally CAGE negative.

Reread the OP's post. He's stating that he cannot study at all without drinking and that if he studies without drinking he gets stomach knotting anxiety attacks. If he were saying he mixes up a drink occasionally to relax, I wouldn't be concerned. I do the same. And no, it's not really a healthy behavior :) But if I had to down a martini or two just to calm my nerves enough to study on any given day, I'd be concerned.

Again, I think he's bluffing. This thread is dumb.

Again, I think he's bluffing. This thread is dumb.

I've had the experience with my acid reflux that it flares up when I'm stressed. I've found that small amounts of alcohol (such as a beer or two, not enough for the buzz) will calm me down and then it goes away. Obviously, much more than that will cause acid reflux in itself and would be a big problem.

I've had the experience with my acid reflux that it flares up when I'm stressed. I've found that small amounts of alcohol (such as a beer or two, not enough for the buzz) will calm me down and then it goes away. Obviously, much more than that will cause acid reflux in itself and would be a big problem.

An OTC heartburn reduction med is far more effective vs acid reflux and likely has fewer test-affecting side effects than alcohol. So it kind of sounds like you are making up excuses just to drink.

Yeah, smoking tobacco reportedly "decreases" stress as well, but unfortunately it also tends to result in terminal lung cancer and/or COPD and is addictive. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, I agree with L2D.

Besides, you risk becoming addicted and then good bye medicine.

Not necessarily. According to our psychiatry department substance addictions are not that uncommon among medical students, and many schools have programs to help students with addictions. I know med students with addictions to alcohol, illegal drugs, sex, who went into treatment and were able to stay in medical school.

I mention this so students who have these problems know they're not alone, and that help is available.

Try sufentanil. You could list your habit as one of your extracurriculars when you apply for an anesthesiology residency.

:rolleyes:

On the off chance you're not a troll ... the stats "they" quote at us during our annual "just say no" video lecture claim that 1 in 6 physicians will have a substance abuse problem at some point in their careers. I'm not quite sure I believe that 1 in 6 figure, but if they're including alcohol, it seems plausible. It sounds like you're on your way toward being that 1 guy.

You know that drinking to facilitate studying is a stupid idea, or you wouldn't have posted here in the first place. So quit.

An OTC heartburn reduction med is far more effective vs acid reflux and likely has fewer test-affecting side effects than alcohol. So it kind of sounds like you are making up excuses just to drink.

Actually, I'm on a prescription for it, but when I'm really stressed, I still have problems. Usually the OTC doesn't help that much and if it does, I'll be feeling bad again in the morning because it only masks the symptoms rather than making them go away.

And no, I'm not making excuses for drinking. I rarely have alcohol for that reason usually the stress will go away and so the symptoms will as well. It's just I noticed worked when nothing else after having a drink one night.

Actually, I'm on a prescription for it, but when I'm really stressed, I still have problems.

Well, if you have such bad acid reflux that a PPI isn't controlling it, alcohol is not something your stomach really needs. And OTC doesn't really mask symptoms, it reduces acid production stimuli.

...but when I'm really stressed, I still have problems...

If stress exacerbates your acid reflux, then reduce the stress. Find out the specific stressors that get to you and learn how to manage them. I know it is easier said than done, but there are ways to do that, which don't involve alcohol. I think alcohol is kind of like a not-so-innocent, and probably extraneous, bystander who rides along with your relaxation. What I mean is, the real and lasting tx is relaxation, in conjunction with your prescribed meds.

If stress exacerbates your acid reflux, then reduce the stress. Find out the specific stressors that get to you and learn how to manage them. I know it is easier said than done, but there are ways to do that, which don't involve alcohol. I think alcohol is kind of like a not-so-innocent, and probably extraneous, bystander who rides along with your relaxation. What I mean is, the real and lasting tx is relaxation, in conjunction with your prescribed meds.

I think that everyone is missing the point. I was just saying that I understand why that might help. I found out once that it did help if I had one drink since my body relaxed. This is not something that I do whenever I get stressed since I actually rarely drink. All I was saying is that I can see where the OP is coming from with it relaxing the stomach if done in small amounts.

Usually I destress through working out, but that makes the acid reflux much worse if I try when its bothering me. Things like having finals and moving to a different city where I've never been before do induce stress, and its not something that I am able to get rid of easily since I can't make it go away.

It's called "state-dependent learning," and it's why a lot of people who only play pool while at the bar can't play it when they're not intoxicated. Or so they say.

Beat me to it. I did (am doing) a BA in psychology for my undergrad, so yeah, we covered that as part of why caffeine seemed to help some people more than others, stimulant effects aside :thumbup:

i'll drink a bottle or two of hein .. while doin' some leisurely saturday afternoon studyin'

its not so bad.

HOORAY FOR STUDY-BEERS! HOOOOOORAAAAAY!:love: