By the Numbers: Programs Applied To/Interviews Granted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychphan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the application process about to be in full swing I wanted to ask some recent applicants how many different psych programs you applied to, and how many of those programs invited you for an interview? I've seen lots of stats and figures on the number of programs people rank, but haven't seen much on the average number of programs initially applied to. I think it may be informative to some of us. Whats too many, whats too little, and about what percentag can one expect to receive interviews from. I know that obviously it will depend on your strength as an applicant, but still I think it will be informative to hear what others have experienced. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Before saying anything more, I'd like to echo your point that it's highly specific for a given applicant, based on how competitive he/she is. Anecdotally, I know of some folks who applied to only 4 or 5 programs and successfully matched, while others applied to the mid-teens or even about 20 places. I think it depends on a variety of factors: how competitive your application is, how much you're able/willing to travel (factoring in cost, ability to get time off, etc), how competitive the programs are that you're applying to. For example, if you're at least a decent candidate who's made a good impression on your home program and you really want to stay there, you could probably get away with only applying to a handful (half a dozen) of places. On other hand, if you really want to be at one of the more "prestigious" programs, you probably should apply to more, say 10-12, with at least a few of those being less prestigious or "backups" (assuming you have a reasonably competitive application)

From my experience, I applied to 9 places and got 9 interviews. I applied to mostly competitive places in the northeast with 1 or 2 "backups." I should say that I also had a really strong application--AOA, good board scores, etc, so I knew I had a pretty good shot of going where I wanted.

Thank you for the input. Anyone else willing to contribute with their number of programs applied to and interviews granted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with JEJ. Some folks apply to 6 programs, some to 20. The number depends on the caliber of the applicant and the caliber of the program.

In Charting Outcomes for the Match, the most recent data showed that of all the U.S. Seniors who applied to Psych, all but 3 individuals who applied to 11 or more programs successfully matched.

read the post. thanks for the info. i was wondering whether the stats given are applicable to IMG's too? thanks

Agree with JEJ. Some folks apply to 6 programs, some to 20. The number depends on the caliber of the applicant and the caliber of the program.

In Charting Outcomes for the Match, the most recent data showed that of all the U.S. Seniors who applied to Psych, all but 3 individuals who applied to 11 or more programs successfully matched.

Yes I've seen the charting outcomes, but those stats are for number of programs RANKED. I wanted to get some idea of number of programs applied to and interviews granted. I have not seen that info in the charting outcomes.

Anyone willing to help me out, all I'm looking for is "I applied to 12 programs in the ERAS, I got interviews at 9 of those places."

In the interest of transparency...

Applied to 28 programs in ERAS (I know!), offered 24 interviews, went to 9 interviews, ranked 7 (I think), matched at number 1.

Applied to 28 programs in ERAS (I know!), offered 24 interviews, went to 9 interviews, ranked 7 (I think), matched at number 1.

Thanks for the info, you answered my next questions which was gonna be, is there any harm in declining interviews. I guess not.

I'm an overapplier. Applied to 23 places. Either received interview invites or withdrew before invites were granted at all of them -- did not apply to MGH, UCSF, etc. that might not have given me an interview. Went on 13 interviews. Ranked all 13. Matched at my #1.

Personally I think 10 interviews is a good number for most people, even though that's probably because is a nice even number. The thing to be aware of in psych is that most places will grant interviews to most of their non-IMG applicants. So if you have some application flaws, you might still get interviews to pretty strong places and maybe get a false sense of security about your prospects. Psych is still pretty non-competitive, though.

Thanks for the info, you answered my next questions which was gonna be, is there any harm in declining interviews. I guess not.

There is no harm in declining interviews if you decline them judiciously. The key is to interview at a range of programs.

Like Doctor Bagel, I overapplied: I applied to 25 programs, I think. Interviewed at 4 programs my first week, decided I didn't want to go on that many interviews, and then canceled 15 of them. Went on 10 interviews, ranked all 10.

Like Doctor Bagel, I overapplied: I applied to 25 programs, I think. Interviewed at 4 programs my first week, decided I didn't want to go on that many interviews, and then canceled 15 of them. Went on 10 interviews, ranked all 10.

Mwahaha, I one-up you with overdoing! Applied to 27, interviewed at 11. A lot of cancelling! But it was helpful. By January, my wife was talking about wanting to have a kid and she didn't have a lot of professional prospects (she's going to a top-10 law school now). So I cancelled the programs where I didn't think we could afford to live without getting divorced from stress, including the New York programs and UCSF and UCLA, all in January (had already wasted a plane trip to Palo Alto earlier in November). I think I also cancelled Penn and the Baltimore programs in January because they simply didn't have important things I wanted, whereas programs like UNC and Cincinnati and UW did have the particular things I really wanted.

It's amazing how your priorities will start to crystallize over time. A combination of geography and particular research interests made my rank list incredibly eclectic and almost nonsensical to an outsider, but I doubt that's uncommon. Unless you're dying to move to LA/SF/NYC/Boston, many people's rank lists seem bizarre.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll likely be on the same level as many of you, even with the over applying. Right now my tentative list has 24 programs, ranging from places I'd perceive to be relatively easy to get into all the way to some pretty big stretches. I'll probably cut it down to about 20, and interview at no more than 12 (if I get that many interviews). Hopefully, that will cover all my bases.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll likely be on the same level as many of you, even with the over applying. Right now my tentative list has 24 programs, ranging from places I'd perceive to be relatively easy to get into all the way to some pretty big stretches. I'll probably cut it down to about 20, and interview at no more than 12 (if I get that many interviews). Hopefully, that will cover all my bases.

Initially casting a wide net is a reasonable strategy. Once the interview invitations start rolling in, you will have a better idea of the kind of programs where you will be invited to interview and can start canceling some of your 'safety' interviews.

Pretty much the same exact numbers and result for me.

I overapplied as well. It's easy to do so out of fear spawned by geographic limitations or just following SDN hype of how competitive psych is getting. Unless you're gunning for a big name, the odds of matching somewhere you like are very good.

At the end of the day, the limitation in your number of interviews is likely going to be scheduling. Unless you have beaucoup free time in fourth year, it's hard to really schedule more than 10 or so interviews, particularly if you're traveling.

My one big piece of recycled advice is to err on the side of fewer quality interviews rather than doing many back-to-back. One thing that seems universal among applicants (be it academic or professional) is that they seem to think they interview better than they do. Doing interviews back-to-back and appearing as excited, energetic, and enthusiastic on the later ones is probably not as easy as you think.

One note. Cancelling is fine, but if you cancel late in the game, you're messing around your fellow applicants who either won't be offered the spot you took or who will have to pay extra for the privilege of making a last-minute reservation. In general, it's a good idea to be professional and thoughtful about every application detail.