Getting a salary number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auvelity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am currently trying to navigate the job market. I’ve spoken to several recruiters about some offers. My main issue is that majority of them don’t want to give a number regarding the salary. They make you go through a couple of interviews and down the line someone drop the low ball of 230k per year.
I mean maybe they make their money based on the commission to get you talking to the faculty but, I find it is a waste of my time to go through so many interviews for a salary I am pretty sure won’t take.
Is there any way we could get a number to filter out offers prior going through so many interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Once upon a time, this was the game you had to play. Thankfully, this is largely not the case anymore except possibly in some academic environs. It is really a waste of everyone's time if you are not going to accept a job. I will tell you having applied for many jobs and also been involved in recruiting and hiring that it is okay to for the expected range of compensation (they may not have an exact figure but they should be able to give a ballpark).

I would suggest not working with recruiters except internal recruiters (where it might be a necessity). You can also give them a salary range and not apply/interview for positions below this. Even if it is the kind of position where you don't bring up salary until later, you should at least be able to talk to psychiatrists already working there and get the skinny on compensation. It is also usually fair to assume that if they won't give you the ballpark, it is because it's really low (though rarely it can be because it's really high). I've never heard of a recruiter not giving a salary range or telling you benefits. Interestingly, in non-clinical jobs, the recruiters usually give you the low down on salary and benefits in your screening interview before you formally interview.

Finally, if it truly does seem like a waste of time to interview for a position, you can simply decline to interview for any position that won't give you (or you don't know) the estimated compensation for. That said, sometimes things can be very negotiable. Never accept the first offer. I have several contracts where the initial offered compensation was hundreds of dollars/hr less than what I negotiated.

Reactions: 6 users
I looked at jobs recently and mostly was able to get salary information from external recruiters. Internal recruiters usually give me a ballpark. I typically will mention if we are not talking over 300 K then we should just stop now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good lord, don't talk to recruiters. For one thing, your email and/or phone number (gasp) will now be forever and always in their grasp. There's no need. If you want an academic job, call the university department. If you want a VA job, usajobs.gov. State (prison) or county jobs will have similar websites. If you want a job with a specific hospital, they will also have a website or department. Everywhere is desperate. Recruiters are leeches on the system. Of course you're having a bad experience with them.

Reactions: 4 users
recruiters are great, when you're bored lonely, you can just text them fun stuff. "Hello im sarah with xxxx staffing, I would like to talk to you about a job oppurtunity that i think youd love to hear!" "Nah im good sarah, but there is something important ive been wondering related to that. Do you think PS5> xbox one? If so, you think OLED gives the best resolution?". They dont ever reply back after that though typically.

I had the best luck with internal recruiters, they were easiest to deal with. When i was looking for my first attending job, I interviewed somewhere through external recruiter, and they literally became irate with me when i didnt take the job, even though the offer was awful and location was even worse. As if I should have been thankful for the bad offer.

Many of them will play this game where they dont tell you a number without a phone call, because they think they can get you on the phone and convince you to give the job a shot or they have other jobs they want to pitch to you, trying to establish a relationship to where you just use them basically as if it were dating exclusively. If they wont give you an exact number before, then its likely because the number isnt good tbh

Reactions: 2 users
recruiters are great, when you're bored lonely, you can just text them fun stuff. "Hello im sarah with xxxx staffing, I would like to talk to you about a job oppurtunity that i think youd love to hear!" "Nah im good sarah, but there is something important ive been wondering related to that. Do you think PS5> xbox one? If so, you think OLED gives the best resolution?". They dont ever reply back after that though typically.

I had the best luck with internal recruiters, they were easiest to deal with. When i was looking for my first attending job, I interviewed somewhere through external recruiter, and they literally became irate with me when i didnt take the job, even though the offer was awful and location was even worse. As if I should have been thankful for the bad offer.

Many of them will play this game where they dont tell you a number without a phone call, because they think they can get you on the phone and convince you to give the job a shot or they have other jobs they want to pitch to you, trying to establish a relationship to where you just use them basically as if it were dating exclusively. If they wont give you an exact number before, then its likely because the number isnt good tbh
I do enjoy leading them on and saying I have others interested. lol

Reactions: 3 users