Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

C+: Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Adapt, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

CRAP!!!!!

I just got a C+ in one of my classes. Thus, my grades this quarter are B-, C+, and I'm waiting on my other grades. My grades last quarter after my acceptances were Bs. This is my first C in a 4 unit class.

I really sucked this quarter. Will they take away my acceptances?:(

2. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does it drop you below the schools minimum requirements?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Of the three schools I'm looking at, they each mention the requirement differently. Two say to have the same academic performance as previously. My previous performance was a 3.7 so a C+ is definitely not previous performance. I don't know how to interpret that.

The other school says to complete your remaining classes at a satisfactory level. I am not sure if C+ is at that level. It's so confusing.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think it will be a problem. If it is your first one, then I really don't think it will matter. It does hurt that it is a 4 credit course.

I would call your school and find out, just to set your mind at ease. That way you will have the 100% correct answer without guessing about it. It is a C+, which is better than a C. Cheer up Slickness, you should be fine. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I hope so. Particularly for COMP, I would call but I was hoping my previous good grades may convince them to give me a scholarship or something. If they find out I got a C, then they may not give me more grants.

I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since they might pull a scholarship after they see my gpa drop from 3.7 to 3.5.

6. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't want to sound like your mom but...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? YOU JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO HALF A DOZEN SCHOOLS AND YOU'RE &^*$%#%@ AROUND?!? I KNOW HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE THAT WOULD GIVE THEIR LEFT KIDNEY TO BE IN YOUR SHOES! *SMACK YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD* HIT THE BOOKS! :)

On a serious note...I highly doubt that C+ will hurt you, but another grade like that next quarter and you may be in trouble...

7. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

The irony is I just called my mom and she said something to that effect.

8. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hahah glad to see u relaxe a bit this quarter

9. TTSD

TTSD Sexually Deprived
    7+ Year Member

Slickness! weren't you taking all botany and ecology courses this quarter?! Feel ashamed!! =)

Actually, it's understandable. When the material is un-interesting, irrelevant to the extreme, and furthermore BORING.. you're going to do bad.

It's funny, I get horrible grades in easy courses, but I excel when everyone else fails.

10. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Should be no problem. What with a few A's sprinkled in there you still have a respectable GPA this semester. Most people have a least a couple of Cs on their transcript. Don't sweat this at all!

11. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks. Not to brag or anything but it's just unlike me to get a C. I was just caught off guard by the grade.

TTSD, the C+ was in my Bio class about Evolution. CREATIONISM RULES!!:smuggrin:

12. citygirl

citygirl Land of Happy Cows
    7+ Year Member

Slickness,

You are suffering from a common syndrome known as already-been-accepted-itis. Most frequently seen is a constellation of symptoms including excessive eating, drinking, sleeping late, and the occasional making merry. Staring at nothing during lectures is present in over 90% of documented cases. Fear not, your mild case isn't fatal to your career. More severe forms of this illness, clinically described and Class D and Class F stage disease, are fatal. All patients with Stage C disease are at risk of progressing to more serious forms and should take all appropriate precautions.

13. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow, is it going around this season?

14. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Ur lucky, my mom would have smacked me through the phone.

15. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just make sure that overall quarter gpa will end up being over a 3.0 slick.

16. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moms are hella talented like that....she wont tell me how she does it...:scared:

17. citygirl

7+ Year Member

Yep, 'tis the season.

18. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Mom proteins are transcribed & translated after delivery. They give you all kinds of special skills. :D

19. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

You are so awesome..heheh
    :love: :love:

-Harps

20. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yea, my mom knows everything i m gonna do, before i do it. I think shes psychic.

21. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow, has that been published anywhere? Nature? Science?

22. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you serious? I only took 3 classes and I have a B- and C+ so far. Even if I get an A- on my last class which I don't think will happen, I'll be at a 2.9 overall in this quarter. Does that matter?

23. citygirl

7+ Year Member

gbear,
    Your mailbox is full. To answer your question. I, too, had a C in biochem in my last semester. Don't worry, UCSF doesn't care unless you get a D or F or if you fail to get a degree as had been anticipated.
    -cg

24. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Overall for the quarter only right? I think you have to look at what your overall GPA will be at the end of all your classes. That is the number the schools are going to really look at, right?

25. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea it's just for the quarter. My overall is still decent at around 3.6 now.

26. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

:laugh: you rock. thank god I'm out of school and there's no evidence of my making merry, at least not to my new med school!

27. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Then don't trip potato chip.

28. medhopeful08

medhopeful08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone actually called an admissions office and asked about what happens if one doesn't keep up the grades comparable to "past academic performance.?"

do you think the admissions committee really sructinizes final transcripts, or are they just looking for degree verification?
    i'm a little worried b/c we have to commit by May 15th, but final transcripts aren't due until much later -- so technically, they can still kick us out??

Any one have any insights? The wording in the letters is so vague.

29. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yep. You have to decide by May 15 and then only choose one. The problem is if you get a few Cs and send your final transcript in, they may decide to rescind your acceptance. Then you're screwed and will have to reapply.:(

30. granitebaybrad

granitebaybrad Junior Member

I called Einstein a month ago, wondering what they meant by "satisfactory completion" of my undergraduate coursework, and was told anything other than a D or F would be acceptable. So Einstein, at least, appears to have a lenient policy regarding senior year grades.

Before learning this, I had considered sending my winter quarter grades in April to schools and gauge their responses. It doesn't look like those in the semester system have this luxury, but I'm sure you could pass along some hypothetical grades over the phone to see if there would be any problems with a few Cs or a lot of Bs.

31. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Slickness, did you call your top choice school and ask them their policy on the grades yet?

32. medhopeful08

medhopeful08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did you just call the admissions office, or did you talk to the director of admissions directly?

33. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Not yet. I guess I should get around to doing that.