C+: Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
CRAP!!!!!

I just got a C+ in one of my classes. Thus, my grades this quarter are B-, C+, and I'm waiting on my other grades. My grades last quarter after my acceptances were Bs. This is my first C in a 4 unit class.

I really sucked this quarter. Will they take away my acceptances?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DrMom
Does it drop you below the schools minimum requirements?
Of the three schools I'm looking at, they each mention the requirement differently. Two say to have the same academic performance as previously. My previous performance was a 3.7 so a C+ is definitely not previous performance. I don't know how to interpret that.

The other school says to complete your remaining classes at a satisfactory level. I am not sure if C+ is at that level. It's so confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will be a problem. If it is your first one, then I really don't think it will matter. It does hurt that it is a 4 credit course.

I would call your school and find out, just to set your mind at ease. That way you will have the 100% correct answer without guessing about it. It is a C+, which is better than a C. Cheer up Slickness, you should be fine. :)

Originally posted by Amy B
I don't think it will be a problem. If it is your first one, then I really don't think it will matter. It does hurt that it is a 4 credit course.

I would call your school and find out, just to set your mind at ease. That way you will have the 100% correct answer without guessing about it. It is a C+, which is better than a C. Cheer up Slickness, you should be fine. :)
I hope so. Particularly for COMP, I would call but I was hoping my previous good grades may convince them to give me a scholarship or something. If they find out I got a C, then they may not give me more grants.

I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since they might pull a scholarship after they see my gpa drop from 3.7 to 3.5.

I don't want to sound like your mom but...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? YOU JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO HALF A DOZEN SCHOOLS AND YOU'RE &^*$%#%@ AROUND?!? I KNOW HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE THAT WOULD GIVE THEIR LEFT KIDNEY TO BE IN YOUR SHOES! *SMACK YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD* HIT THE BOOKS! :)

On a serious note...I highly doubt that C+ will hurt you, but another grade like that next quarter and you may be in trouble...

Originally posted by premed
I don't want to sound like your mom but...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? YOU JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO HALF A DOZEN SCHOOLS AND YOU'RE &^*$%#%@ AROUND?!? I KNOW HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE THAT WOULD GIVE THEIR LEFT KIDNEY TO BE IN YOUR SHOES! *SMACK YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD* HIT THE BOOKS! :)
The irony is I just called my mom and she said something to that effect.

hahah glad to see u relaxe a bit this quarter

Slickness! weren't you taking all botany and ecology courses this quarter?! Feel ashamed!! =)

Actually, it's understandable. When the material is un-interesting, irrelevant to the extreme, and furthermore BORING.. you're going to do bad.

It's funny, I get horrible grades in easy courses, but I excel when everyone else fails.

Originally posted by Slickness
The other school says to complete your remaining classes at a satisfactory level. I am not sure if C+ is at that level. It's so confusing.

Should be no problem. What with a few A's sprinkled in there you still have a respectable GPA this semester. Most people have a least a couple of Cs on their transcript. Don't sweat this at all!

Originally posted by skypilot
Should be no problem. What with a few A's sprinkled in there you still have a respectable GPA this semester. Most people have a least a couple of Cs on their transcript. Don't sweat this at all!
Thanks. Not to brag or anything but it's just unlike me to get a C. I was just caught off guard by the grade.

TTSD, the C+ was in my Bio class about Evolution. CREATIONISM RULES!!:smuggrin:

Slickness,

You are suffering from a common syndrome known as already-been-accepted-itis. Most frequently seen is a constellation of symptoms including excessive eating, drinking, sleeping late, and the occasional making merry. Staring at nothing during lectures is present in over 90% of documented cases. Fear not, your mild case isn't fatal to your career. More severe forms of this illness, clinically described and Class D and Class F stage disease, are fatal. All patients with Stage C disease are at risk of progressing to more serious forms and should take all appropriate precautions.

Originally posted by citygirl
Slickness,

You are suffering from a common syndrome known as already-been-accepted-itis. Most frequently seen is a constellation of symptoms including excessive eating, drinking, sleeping late, and the occasional making merry. Staring at nothing during lectures is present in over 90% of documented cases. Fear not, your mild case isn't fatal to your career. More severe forms of this illness, clinically described and Class D and Class F stage disease, are fatal. All patients with Stage C disease are at risk of progressing to more serious forms and should take all appropriate precautions.

Wow, is it going around this season?

Members don't see this ad :)
The irony is I just called my mom and she said something to that effect.

Ur lucky, my mom would have smacked me through the phone.

just make sure that overall quarter gpa will end up being over a 3.0 slick.

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Ur lucky, my mom would have smacked me through the phone.

moms are hella talented like that....she wont tell me how she does it...:scared:

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Wow, is it going around this season?

Yep, 'tis the season.

Slickness,

You are so awesome..heheh
:love: :love:

-Harps

Originally posted by jlee9531
moms are hella talented like that....she wont tell me how she does it...:scared:

Yea, my mom knows everything i m gonna do, before i do it. I think shes psychic.

Originally posted by DrMom
Mom proteins are transcribed & translated after delivery. They give you all kinds of special skills. :D

Wow, has that been published anywhere? Nature? Science?

Originally posted by jlee9531
just make sure that overall quarter gpa will end up being over a 3.0 slick.
Are you serious? I only took 3 classes and I have a B- and C+ so far. Even if I get an A- on my last class which I don't think will happen, I'll be at a 2.9 overall in this quarter. Does that matter?

gbear,
Your mailbox is full. To answer your question. I, too, had a C in biochem in my last semester. Don't worry, UCSF doesn't care unless you get a D or F or if you fail to get a degree as had been anticipated.
-cg

Are you serious? I only took 3 classes and I have a B- and C+ so far. Even if I get an A- on my last class which I don't think will happen, I'll be at a 2.9 overall in this quarter. Does that matter?

Overall for the quarter only right? I think you have to look at what your overall GPA will be at the end of all your classes. That is the number the schools are going to really look at, right?

Originally posted by Amy B
Overall for the quarter only right? I think you have to look at what your overall GPA will be at the end of all your classes. That is the number the schools are going to really look at, right?
Yea it's just for the quarter. My overall is still decent at around 3.6 now.

Slickness,

:laugh: you rock. thank god I'm out of school and there's no evidence of my making merry, at least not to my new med school!

Yea it's just for the quarter. My overall is still decent at around 3.6 now.

Then don't trip potato chip.

Has anyone actually called an admissions office and asked about what happens if one doesn't keep up the grades comparable to "past academic performance.?"

do you think the admissions committee really sructinizes final transcripts, or are they just looking for degree verification?
i'm a little worried b/c we have to commit by May 15th, but final transcripts aren't due until much later -- so technically, they can still kick us out??

Any one have any insights? The wording in the letters is so vague.

Originally posted by medhopeful08
Has anyone actually called an admissions office and asked about what happens if one doesn't keep up the grades comparable to "past academic performance.?"

do you think the admissions committee really sructinizes final transcripts, or are they just looking for degree verification?
i'm a little worried b/c we have to commit by May 15th, but final transcripts aren't due until much later -- so technically, they can still kick us out??

Any one have any insights? The wording in the letters is so vague.
Yep. You have to decide by May 15 and then only choose one. The problem is if you get a few Cs and send your final transcript in, they may decide to rescind your acceptance. Then you're screwed and will have to reapply.:(

I called Einstein a month ago, wondering what they meant by "satisfactory completion" of my undergraduate coursework, and was told anything other than a D or F would be acceptable. So Einstein, at least, appears to have a lenient policy regarding senior year grades.

Before learning this, I had considered sending my winter quarter grades in April to schools and gauge their responses. It doesn't look like those in the semester system have this luxury, but I'm sure you could pass along some hypothetical grades over the phone to see if there would be any problems with a few Cs or a lot of Bs.

Slickness, did you call your top choice school and ask them their policy on the grades yet?

Did you just call the admissions office, or did you talk to the director of admissions directly?

Originally posted by granitebaybrad
I called Einstein a month ago, wondering what they meant by "satisfactory completion" of my undergraduate coursework, and was told anything other than a D or F would be acceptable. So Einstein, at least, appears to have a lenient policy regarding senior year grades.

Before learning this, I had considered sending my winter quarter grades in April to schools and gauge their responses. It doesn't look like those in the semester system have this luxury, but I'm sure you could pass along some hypothetical grades over the phone to see if there would be any problems with a few Cs or a lot of Bs.

Originally posted by MrTee
Slickness, did you call your top choice school and ask them their policy on the grades yet?
Not yet. I guess I should get around to doing that.