C arm and lead.

Started by caligas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wore the lead lined hats when I had them. I wear lead and stay in the far corner. I step out of the room whenever I can, especially for fluoro.

My understanding is that interventional radiologists, cardiologists and vascular surgeons who use c arm a lot have a statistically significant higher incidence of head and neck cancer on the side that faces the c arm.

The only time I don't wear lead is if they're shooting one or two pictures of the hand with the mini c arm but I stand as far away as possible or out of the room.
 
lse tend to forgo lead and just stay 6-10 feet away?

If they are shooting regularly through the case (e.g.: ortho trauma, spines with hardware placement, etc) I put on lead and try to stand as far back as possible. Sometimes that isn't possible due to how close our anesthesia machine/Pyxis is to the surgical field.

If they are just taking a couple scout shots here or there, I walk as far away as possible.

Not taking any safety precautions against radiation exposure I think is a huge mistake.
 
I don’t wear the goggles,
So I probably will need cataracts done when I’m old. At least that can be a quick MAC case
Underrated response. Of all the people in our EP lab, I think like 3 or 4 people wear radiation goggles. Quite honestly for most of our cath cases we honestly do even need to be in the room with a good anesthetic. There's a monitor in the "satellite area" so it's not totally unreasonable to sit there and just come in the room if there's a problem.
 
Underrated response. Of all the people in our EP lab, I think like 3 or 4 people wear radiation goggles. Quite honestly for most of our cath cases we honestly do even need to be in the room with a good anesthetic. There's a monitor in the "satellite area" so it's not totally unreasonable to sit there and just come in the room if there's a problem.
That's what we do for MRI. Seems reasonable to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always stand back whenever possible even when I have lead on. I've read about loss of shielding integrity with some of these lead vests when they are not cared for appropriately.

I don’t know the official name, but there should be someone at your facility that tests this, or a way you can request your lead to be tested. I think all it requires is a run through and CT or XRay machine.
 
It matters is youre using a Mini C-arm or a Large C-arm - Minis at max power there is little to no scatter at 3' away - Large C-arms I would be careful as theyre very powerful
 
It matters is youre using a Mini C-arm or a Large C-arm - Minis at max power there is little to no scatter at 3' away - Large C-arms I would be careful as theyre very powerful
Did you ...

... really make an account 3 1/2 years ago named "minicarm" and wait until today bump three threads about mini C arms and xray exposure?

One a 10-year necrobump, and a 1-year necrobump, and this thread (2 1/2 years).

That's weird, dude, but welcome to the forum!