C-arms - What are you using, or would like to have?

Started by wscott
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wscott

Junior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to all,

What C-arm are you using?

Write a review.

What's on par with the OEC 9900 elite?

Is all the jazzy technology necessary? Obviouslly not, but does it translate into fewer complications and/or better outcomes?


Thanks for your input
 
1. Siemens Iso-C.

2. Excellent picture, extremely quiet, low heat output. No whistles & bells, just a great picture without all the noise you get with OEC.

3. I don't know.

4. Not really
 
Does anyone work or has worked with the OEC 9800? Is this one recommended?

Any other C-arms to recommend?
Also, how about fluoro tables?

Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work at several facilities that use the 9800. My two complaints:

1. Noise. It should come as a relief when you turn off the c-arm at the end of the cases.

2. Poor metal compensation. Despite having the techs come out repeatedly to adjust the programming I have been frustrated by the tendency of the picture to white out when I put a metal pointer (e.g., a long clamp) in the field. This happens at three different facilities.
 
My group's ASC was trying to cut costs and is offering purchasing the 8800 OEC refurb as opposed to the 9800 OEC. They tell me that the only difference between the 9800 and 8800 is digital subtraction. I heard that the 9800 OEC has a "Super C" version which makes oblique/lateral cervicals much easier to maneuver. I don't know if the 8800 OEC has the option to have this larger C. Does it really matter? Does anyone have any problems with the 8800 OEC? If not, I'll give in and let them save $40k on the purchase of the 8800.
 
I have used OEC 9000, 9400, and 9800. They are all so loud I would like to get them tested to see if they would meet OSHA requirements or if it might be necessary to wear earplugs in the fluoro suite. Anyone else smell a class action lawsuit? The worst part is the machine continues making the noise in cooldown mode for several minutes after it is turned off.
 
Depending on the site, I use an OEC 9800, a brand new Siemens, a brand new Phillips, or an older Phillips. The 9800 gives me the best pictures. With a larger-size patient population, the other units just don't get the same clarity on laterals (even with a fluoro tech trying to tweak the unit). I haven't noticed the noise issues, probably due to bad hearing and the constant chatter of room personnel.
 
The 8800 does not come in a super-c configuration. Also, the 8800 has a monoblock x-ray tube (fixed anode). It doesn't have nearly the power the 9800 or 9900 have.