c average in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennifer kim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a first year dental student. My averages in class are in the 70s while the average for my class would be like 85%... Can someone tell me if this is okay in being a dentist. I feel so discouraged and is doubting myself in becoming a dentist

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a first year dental student. My averages in class are in the 70s while the average for my class would be like 85%... Can someone tell me if this is okay in being a dentist. I feel so discouraged and is doubting myself in becoming a dentist

Don't worry. I almost flunked out first year. Now I'm almost retired at 45. First year was the hardest for everyone. the rest of the years I breezed through.

Your future employer will never ask you what grades you made in D school. Plus, first year is mostly didactic, so just because you don't get A's in basic sciences doesn't mean you won't make some top notch dentures next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your future employer will never ask you what grades you made in D school. Plus, first year is mostly didactic, so just because you don't get A's in basic sciences doesn't mean you won't make some top notch dentures next year.

Yes, from what Ive heard, grades are only important when you need to apply for residencies.

Otherwise, just pass your classes and boards.

All the dentists I know said that unless you plan on specializing, getting better than c's or b's is a waste of time...lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Being a competent and successful "dentist" and getting "A's" in dental schools are completely separate things. In my personal experince from D school to the real world, it is an inverse relationship - in terms of who gets more out of their degree, generally speaking.

To clarify more, read this article.

Being a competent and successful "dentist" and getting "A's" in dental schools are completely separate things. In my personal experince from D school to the real world, it is an inverse relationship - in terms of who gets more out of their degree, generally speaking.

To clarify more, read this article.
So when you were in dental school, the sciences were not as stressful if you just wanted to pass (considering you don't plan on specializing)? Did you just place more emphasis on your clinical and hand skills and read up on management or something?