Average Grades Can Still Specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhWhatADream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm ending my first semester of dental school and I have all B's and 1 C. I know my performance is very average to poor and I will certainly make changes to improve. I'm interested in specializing but not entirely sure yet. Can I still specialize even though I didn't get great grades this semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably, if you pick it up for future semesters. Higher GPA/rank is universally better for specializing. Some specialties (OS, ortho, endo) you need high grades to be competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
You still can! I would make a big push your spring semester to do well so it can average out this fall semester. If your school is like most dental schools, your rank is mostly determined your first 2 years or so. If you finish your first year in a low spot, it will be hard to climb your way back to a competitive rank.

Specializing and your competitiveness depends on the speciality. I had co residents that didn't have the best grades but had shown interest in pediatrics, a good attitude and experiences to back it up. However, compared to ortho, you can have all the interest in the world and a good attitude but without the numbers it's hard to get your foot in the door for interviews. I also had some classmates that didn't get into their desired speciality the first time, did an AEGD/GPR/externship, re-applied and got in on the second go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
agreed
You still can! I would make a big push your spring semester to do well so it can average out this fall semester. If your school is like most dental schools, your rank is mostly determined your first 2 years or so. If you finish your first year in a low spot, it will be hard to climb your way back to a competitive rank.

Specializing and your competitiveness depends on the speciality. I had co residents that didn't have the best grades but had shown interest in pediatrics, a good attitude and experiences to back it up. However, compared to ortho, you can have all the interest in the world and a good attitude but without the numbers it's hard to get your foot in the door for interviews. I also had some classmates that didn't get into their desired speciality the first time, did an AEGD/GPR/externship, re-applied and got in on the second go.

Reactions: 1 user
A year in a good GPR outshines an average GPA.

The problem is that your already behind in the rankings. The gunners in your class will be at the top of the ranking going forward. No way to catch up unless some of the gunners fall back. I wasn't the highest ranking student. I kissed alot of Ass (research, helping ortho attendings and ortho residents with their research, being friends with the daughter of one of the ortho attendings ;), etc. etc. ). All this networking helped when it came time to apply to ortho residency.

Point is. Do the other networking stuff in addition to high rank.