C- in 1 Dental Pre-Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AA149

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum and I am very excited to be part of this community. I am about to be a junior at a pretty good college (not Ivy-but I am not sure if I am actually allowed to say the name of the school? I see people on other posts not saying their school name so went along with that). I have seen posts like this one that I am writing but I wanted to give a bit of backstory. Since my junior year of high school, I have had severe depression. I was put on multiple medications my sophomore year of college (it got really bad) and almost took some time off. Thankfully, I am doing much better now and while there are difficult times, I am handling it much better. I am sure that you can figure out that my first two years of college also did not have the strongest grades (GPA under 3.0). I am in the process of completing the pre dental reqs and received a C- in General Chemistry. This upcoming year, my schedule is crazy (at least for me!): O-Chem, Cell Bio (Fall), BioChem (Spring) and other reqs for my major (Biology). I am wondering if I really need to re-take Gen Chem or not? I know some (please correct me if "some" should actually say "most") Dental Schools do not accept students who had a C- in any of their pre reqs. I want to take the DAT next summer and I completely understand that a gap year between college and dental school is very plausible in my future-but I'd at least like to try and apply regardless. Thank you for your help!
 
I believe some schools want at least a B in pre-req. Check the schools you specially want to get into. You need to get that GPA up and i would consider re-taking. it will help you for the DAT prep.
 
I am in the process of completing the pre dental reqs and received a C- in General Chemistry. This upcoming year, my schedule is crazy (at least for me!): O-Chem, Cell Bio (Fall), BioChem (Spring) and other reqs for my major (Biology). I am wondering if I really need to re-take Gen Chem or not? I know some (please correct me if "some" should actually say "most") Dental Schools do not accept students who had a C- in any of their pre reqs. I want to take the DAT next summer and I completely understand that a gap year between college and dental school is very plausible in my future-but I'd at least like to try and apply regardless. Thank you for your help!
You only need to retake if you hope to attend dental school.