C- in 1 Dental Pre-Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA149

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum and I am very excited to be part of this community. I am about to be a junior at a pretty good college (not Ivy-but I am not sure if I am actually allowed to say the name of the school? I see people on other posts not saying their school name so went along with that). I have seen posts like this one that I am writing but I wanted to give a bit of backstory. Since my junior year of high school, I have had severe depression. I was put on multiple medications my sophomore year of college (it got really bad) and almost took some time off. Thankfully, I am doing much better now and while there are difficult times, I am handling it much better. I am sure that you can figure out that my first two years of college also did not have the strongest grades (GPA under 3.0). I am in the process of completing the pre dental reqs and received a C- in General Chemistry. This upcoming year, my schedule is crazy (at least for me!): O-Chem, Cell Bio (Fall), BioChem (Spring) and other reqs for my major (Biology). I am wondering if I really need to re-take Gen Chem or not? I know some (please correct me if "some" should actually say "most") Dental Schools do not accept students who had a C- in any of their pre reqs. I want to take the DAT next summer and I completely understand that a gap year between college and dental school is very plausible in my future-but I'd at least like to try and apply regardless. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe some schools want at least a B in pre-req. Check the schools you specially want to get into. You need to get that GPA up and i would consider re-taking. it will help you for the DAT prep.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the process of completing the pre dental reqs and received a C- in General Chemistry. This upcoming year, my schedule is crazy (at least for me!): O-Chem, Cell Bio (Fall), BioChem (Spring) and other reqs for my major (Biology). I am wondering if I really need to re-take Gen Chem or not? I know some (please correct me if "some" should actually say "most") Dental Schools do not accept students who had a C- in any of their pre reqs. I want to take the DAT next summer and I completely understand that a gap year between college and dental school is very plausible in my future-but I'd at least like to try and apply regardless. Thank you for your help!
You only need to retake if you hope to attend dental school.