C in Anatomy..now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a C in anatomy. Basically there is no possible way for me to get a B unless I get 98 on the final exam.

What repercussions will this have in the grand scheme of things? In my other classes this year I've been getting B's and I think I'm headed for a B or A in immunology/microbiology.

I'm primarily interested in psychiatry as a specialty right now. I want to explore either ped or adult heme/onc, PM&R, anesthesiology, ophthalmology as well. Would a C in anatomy keep me out of the running of a moderate competitive speciality like anesthesiology?

Can anyone speak from experience? Anyone get a decent residency with a C in a preclinical course?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a C in anatomy. Basically there is no possible way for me to get a B unless I get 98 on the final exam.

What repercussions will this have in the grand scheme of things? In my other classes this year I've been getting B's and I think I'm headed for a B or A in immunology/microbiology.

I'm primarily interested in psychiatry as a specialty right now. I want to explore either ped or adult heme/onc, PM&R, anesthesiology, ophthalmology as well. Would a C in anatomy keep me out of the running of a moderate competitive speciality like anesthesiology?

Can anyone speak from experience? Anyone get a decent residency with a C in a preclinical course?

No huge repercussions. Pre-clinical grades are low on the list of things to worry about. Do well on USMLE Step I and get good clinical grades during your third and fourth year.

To enter opthalmology, AOA helps, so just do well in your other classes and do well on your board exams, but lamenting a C isn't a productive course of action.

What's up with all the MS1's freaking out about getting a C/marginal/average/etc in a pre-clinical course?

No a C won't keep you out of anesthesiology. You will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

You should celebrate! You PASSED!

Take a chill pill, throw it in a beer, then drink it. Seriously, relax...there is sooo much between now and your residency apps that this will just be a fart in the wind when it's all said and done.

This is like asking if a slow first mile in a marathon will ruin your race.

BUT I get it. I mean, every year we get 100 people asking what happens now that they aren't scoring >95% on all their tests.

It's almost like med schools keep admitting the same neurotic students each year.

Welcome to SDN, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the M1s are above average.

You should celebrate! You PASSED!
Exactly! You passed your anatomy, and you are good to proceed with your medical education. Forget about your actual passing grade. As a physician,
you will need to understand human anatomy. If you accept this and are conscientious you will continue to learn as much as you can throughout your career, you will do just fine.

What's up with all the MS1's freaking out about getting a C/marginal/average/etc in a pre-clinical course?
because they thought they were superstars, now they realize they're in a setting where they're just average.

happens to everybody at some point.

So you are pretty sure you are going to pass.

Congrats!

because they thought they were superstars, now they realize they're in a setting where they're just average.

happens to everybody at some point.

Hrm, it never happened to me. Maybe because I've never been ridiculously, crazy anal.

Or maybe because I've never been average :cool: