C in Biochemistry! Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed177

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last semester I took physics 2 and biochemistry together. I had some personal family issues occur (in addition to my slacking off) that gave me all a's and a B in physics and a C in Biochemistry. I got all B's in orgo and all B's in physics and a C in Biochem. I have more difficult science classes remaining such as immunology and virology, but I do not know if these along with my other hard science classes my senior year will allow me to prove myself? My overall GPA is a 3.5 at the moment.

My question is, should I retake Biochem? Many of the schools i will be applying to require it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last semester I took physics 2 and biochemistry together. I had some personal family issues occur (in addition to my slacking off) that gave me all a's and a B in physics and a C in Biochemistry. I got all B's in orgo and all B's in physics and a C in Biochem. I have more difficult science classes remaining such as immunology and virology, but I do not know if these along with my other hard science classes my senior year will allow me to prove myself? My overall GPA is a 3.5 at the moment.

My question is, should I retake Biochem? Many of the schools i will be applying to require it.

Are you applying this cycle/are you a junior right now?

If the pre-reqs for those schools require a B or above, then obviously you should re-take the class. But if your sGPA is fine (3.6+), then I would not waste the time re-taking it, especially since biochem isn't (to my knowledge) on the MCAT. Micro/Immunology however is on the MCAT, and it's probably the hardest biology class you can take, so you definitely want to do well to prepare for the MCAT and prove yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my junior year as of right now and will not be applying until the end of my senior year. So I will have finished my undergraduate coursework prior to applying.

If the pre-reqs for those schools require a B or above, then obviously you should re-take the class. But if your sGPA is fine (3.6+), then I would not waste the time re-taking it, especially since biochem isn't (to my knowledge) on the MCAT. Micro/Immunology however is on the MCAT, and it's probably the hardest biology class you can take, so you definitely want to do well to prepare for the MCAT and prove yourself.
Yes they will be hard, but i plan on taking the MCAT in august, which would be before i take immuno/viro.

Retaking it and getting an A is the same as getting an A in a new science class. I wouldn't recommend retaking it for that reason.

Just focus and do well on your future science classes. A C or two won't cut you out of the game.