C in Calc--What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaomega23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This past year I got a C in Calc II at a HYPSM school, primarily due to getting sick DURING the final exam. I'm actually quite good in math, so as you can imagine, this bothers me quite a bit. I'm looking for a little advice on how to fix this. I am still shooting for top schools (top 10). Should I just cut my losses and not take any more math classes, or should I take calc III/linear algebra to prove to med schools that I'm actually very good in math? Also, how will I want to handle this grade in applying? I can say with near certainty, had I not gotten sick, I would have had an A or at a minimum, an A- in the class. How do I convey this without looking like I'm making excuses? I tried all avenues to appeal the grade, with no results. So, now I am stuck dealing with this. Just looking for some guidance.

Zach

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Might as well quit your dream of going to Med school.. That C is the biggest red flag out there.. No medical school wants someone who can't even do basic differential equations and apply integrals..

/Sarcasm off

You went to an"elite" school, so what are you worried about? You will get a full ride!med schools will be jumping for joy to have such an elite person in their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Elite school lolol. I was going to give an honest advice but I just don't like the vibe I'm getting from your post.

Might as well quit your dream of going to Med school.. That C is the biggest red flag out there.. No medical school wants someone who can't even do basic differential equations and apply integrals..

/Sarcasm off

:laugh:
jokes aside, if you don't need it for your major i don't really see any point in taking more math.

Okay. I removed elite. I apologize. Some serious advice would be appreciated.

A little dramatic aren't we?

/Sarcasm off

Calculus isn't for everybody. If it were a requirement at all medical schools, then there would be less matriculants for sure. Yes it is easy to some (including me), but that doesn't mean you should give up on your dream. Make A's in organic, bio, gen chem, and physics and you will impress the committee. The end.

Okay. I removed elite. I apologize. Some serious advice would be appreciated.

Calculus isn't for everybody. If it were a requirement at all medical schools, then there would be less matriculants for sure. Yes it is easy to some (including me), but that doesn't mean you should give up on your dream. Make A's in organic, bio, gen chem, and physics and you will impress the committee. The end.

Well said Postbacpremed87, I couldn't have said it any better. Not all medical schools require it. A red flag would be there if it was on organic chemistry for example. Even though I think a C in any subject can still be digested if you have good GPA and MCAT after all. I can't believe why some people would demoralize other people for no apparent reason.

Don't give up, you will for sure make it with that C in calculus. Just explain the reason of why you got a C in a good way in your personal statement.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well said Postbacpremed87, I couldn't said it any better. Not all medical schools require it. A red flag would be there if it was on organic chemistry for example. Even though I think a C in any subject can still be digested if you have good GPA and MCAT after all. I can't believe why some people would demoralize other people for no apparent reason.

Don't give up, you will for sure make it with that C in calculus. Just explain the reason of why you got a C in a good way in your personal statement.

Good luck!
Why in god's name would you waste precious PS words on explaining a C in calculus? Some people's children I tell ya

Why in god's name would you waste precious PS words on explaining a C in calculus? Some people's children I tell ya

Explaining it wouldn't waste the personal statement. In fact, it would enlighten the medical school committee about the reason of the C before they take any decision would even asking you why you got a C if it matters. But again it all depends on the school. If the medical school require calc, then for sure they care about it and explanation would be better. If they don't require it, then maybe no explanation would be better.

P.S, everyone has their opinion...

One C probably isn't noteworthy. 3 or more, then yes.

Well said Postbacpremed87, I couldn't have said it any better. Not all medical schools require it. A red flag would be there if it was on organic chemistry for example. Even though I think a C in any subject can still be digested if you have good GPA and MCAT after all. I can't believe why some people would demoralize other people for no apparent reason.

Good luck!

Explaining it wouldn't waste the personal statement. In fact, it would enlighten the medical school committee about the reason of the C before they take any decision would even asking you why you got a C if it matters. But again it all depends on the school. If the medical school require calc, then for sure they care about it and explanation would be better. If they don't require it, then maybe no explanation would be better.

Why would you put emphasis on a single C in a class that may not even be a prereq? PS isn't for talking about a crap grade. Also, everyone has their own opinions but not everyone gets into medical school.

"HYPSM school" it's hyp, if you go to any other school then it's not worth mentioning dohoho

Last edited by a moderator:
Your future is the summation of all your 'infinitesimal' parts.

Time to apply Caribbean, although SGU is probably a long shot by now.

Yes, it would. No AdCom is going to give a rat's ass about a single C in a non pre-req class. Throwing it into your PS, however, is likely going to make them wonder why you're making such a big deal over nothing. At best, they'll think you're prone to over-reaction.

OP. Forget it happened and move on. It's a non-issue.