C+ in Organic Chemistry II-What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radishearrings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year as a pre-med student and finished all of my pre-reqs. I got A's in all of my classes, including my required classes for medical school except organic chemistry. First semester I got a B+ in lecture with an A in lab, but second semester I got a C+ in lecture with A in lab.

So my question is this: Should I try to retake Orgo II next year or focus on doing better in more advanced chemistry courses (I am planning to take biochemistry and medicinal chemistry next year)? The first semester of organic was easy for me, but second semester taught me how much I have to improve on my memorization skills...The problem with retaking it is that I am trying to graduate on time and my schedule is already full since I am taking classes to fulfill my biology-chemistry major, and I cannot afford to retake it over the summer at a community college. I also heard that one C cannot hurt as long as I explain myself in interviews and show some way of making up for it (MCAT, extracurriculars). So is retaking organic worth it?

Opinions and advice much appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake a C+. Take advanced organic or biochem and get an A in that class and you'll be fine. I had a C+ in orgo also so I did organic chem research, it might be a bit late for you to take that path though

Wow, I am in the same situation as you...while I did get an A in Orgo I, I got a C+ in Orgo 2...I'm looking at either retaking Orgo 2, taking Quantitative Analysis in Chemistry, or taking Synthetic Organic Chemistry...and I plan on taking Biochem later on...what should I do? I'm enrolled for Quantitative Analysis, but now, I have no idea what to do next...does this really hurt our chances to med school?

PS-I'm new here, so please bear with me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to take a new course to make up for ochem 2, I second the advanced organic suggestion, assuming you think you can handle it. I don't think I agree with others who may say that a good grade in biochem can make up for it. At most schools, biochem is an easier course than o-chem 2, and I don't
believe that most colleges have it as a premed weed-out course like o-chem 1 and 2 are. A C+ in orgo 2 certainly won't kill your app at most schools anyway. Take advanced orgo if YOU want to,
not to prove something to admissions committee members. They admit applicants with C's in one or both semesters of ochem every year.

I would not retake a C+ in OChem II unless you didn't master the material AND don't feel you can catch up with self-study.

I do feel that an A in Biochem can sway adcomms to overlook a lower OChem grade. And you'll need more As besides that to compensate for the toll on your BCPM GPA, but they don't need to be in Chem classes.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm majoring in biology, and I have straight A's in all bio courses...its just this one Orgo class that has gotten me freaked out. They don't offer advanced organic chem here, so thats why I was thinking to retake Orgo 2. But so far, it seems like thats not a good idea...so should I just continue on with what I was going to take: Quantitative Analysis to complete my minor in chem??

I'm majoring in biology, and I have straight A's in all bio courses...its just this one Orgo class that has gotten me freaked out. They don't offer advanced organic chem here, so thats why I was thinking to retake Orgo 2. But so far, it seems like thats not a good idea...so should I just continue on with what I was going to take: Quantitative Analysis to complete my minor in chem??
That's fine, but another low chem grade will not be good. A good grade helps belie the one outlier that was lower.

That's fine, but another low chem grade will not be good. A good grade helps belie the one outlier that was lower.

If you don't mind me asking, have you taken quantitative analysis? I've heard it's hard, but I would like more personal feedback from someone who has already taken it/is taking it.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I found out that I am not allowed to retake a C+ at my school anyway unless I fail, and I found out that even if I retook it the new grade will not replace the old one, but both would appear on the transcript. I'm going to get as many A's in my future science classes while I can, I was just worried that this one C+ would kill my chances, but now I feel confident. Thanks again! :)

If you don't mind me asking, have you taken quantitative analysis? I've heard it's hard, but I would like more personal feedback from someone who has already taken it/is taking it.
I took Analytical Chemistry. It was a while back and I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I don't recall it with fear and loathing.

Reactions: 1 user
Analytical chem is the same thing.

I didn't think it was very hard. A lot of instrumentation and math, nothing too out there or conceptual like some other chemistries.