C+ in Orgo II, recovery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had mono this past spring, missed an exam in Orgo II and Genetics and never really caught up. The result: C+ in both. Otherwise, my grades are fine.

The pre-health committee said they would explain this hiccup.

But, what would med schools make of it? Luckily, my mol. bio major requires a year of biochemistry = Macromolecular Structure and Function and Metabolic Pathways and Regulation. Will doing well in these courses sort of make up for Orgo?

I wouldn't want to retake the course, it would prove nothing and besides, would throw me way off schedule.

Thank you as always.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the other areas of your application. If you think what you have other than grades are good enough to get you into the interview phase where you can explain your situation to the school then no it won't be a big problem. Plus, there's usually a section on the secondaries where you can explain things like this.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for Cs on my application or allow it to bring down my GPA. I would probably try to re-take them over the summer or something. I wouldn't say doing well in one class will make them turn away from Cs in another. They are different classes and organic chemistry is one I think that a lot of adcoms look at. It's a real weeder class.

I think that an A in Biochem would be very reassuring to adcomms, as will a decent MCAT subscore. The only reason I'd tell you that you must retake the OChem II would be if you plan to apply to schools requiring Bs or better in the prerequisites, or if you didn't grasp the material well enough to excel on the MCAT.

You can dilute the lower grade in Genetics by getting high grades in other upper-level Bio.

You might also check back after your committee letter is done, and ask if they did indeed mention the reason for the hiccup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Catalysk, there are schools that require Bs in prereqs? Which ones?

I have a 3.7 still, and am going to apply a year late so I have ample time to bring my GPA up to where it should be. I got an A- in orgo I, the Cs are really a localized problem. I'm also a neuroscience major so there are plenty of upper level neuro and bio courses I have to and am taking to show I can do fine.

I just don't think retaking proves anything.

Hey fellow Pittsburgher!

Don't stress it! I had a C in Organic II and was only asked about it in one of my interviews. When I explained the situation and said "I don't think it reflects my academic ability," the interviewer laughed and said "Clearly not, was just curious in case anyone on the adcom asks." Most of my other chem, physics pre-req grades were Bs, all of my Bio grades were As. I've received three acceptances so far.

Just make sure the rest of your application looks good and that you have great reasons for why you're on this path!

Good luck! :luck: