C- in physics 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5 avg gpa and about a 3.35 science gpa. But I'm really worried because I got a C- in Physics 3. Do you think med schools will reject me mainly for this reason?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, why do you think med schools will place so much weight and emphasis on Physics 3? That is a tough class and isn't a pre-req so I personally wouldn't worry about it. You will be fine. ;)

But I'm on the quarter system and don't the schools require 8 semester units of physics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, i kind of read your post wrong. Yeah I would see a problem with a c-. Can you take it over? Or another upper level physics class perhaps?

Well, I've already graduated from college. I can take it again, but I'm planning to submit my amcas application now. Is this a bad idea?

Would someone better qualified help her out?

Originally posted by KatieJune
I have a 3.5 avg gpa and about a 3.35 science gpa. But I'm really worried because I got a C- in Physics 3. Do you think med schools will reject me mainly for this reason?

hey katie!

if you go to a UC and you get a C- you can repeat the class...anyway that is how it is for UCLA, the GRADE will always be there but the GPA will be changed to your new grade..

so it might not be a bad option to repeat the class...that is, if you know ur going to do better and not worse! best of luck to u

I think that after she graduates, her grades are locked and cannot do anything about it....Taking it over won't help much, IMO.

A C- is obviously not a great grade, but its an upper level class if I understand the quarter system....

Your GPA is not very high, I would apply if you have a good MCAT score. If not, a PB is not a bad idea.

check the msar - some schools list academic performance in Physics 3 under "selection factors", i'd encourage you not to apply to those schools. ;)

as it turns out, adcoms don't base decisions on a single grade, especially a single *passing* grade. i understand that they are interested in your overall/science gpa though.

I apologize for being frank, but asking if a C- is acceptable for med school is not the proper question...the question is, do you feel you can handle medical school...physics 3 is known to be relatively easier compared to physics 2... most pre-meds nearly ace the class (B+--A) with little stress. Obtaining a C- is more about you and your habits than how people will view it. I realize you can have a hundred thousand excuses, but excuses don't change your grade or YOU. You may either want to re-take the class and get your priorities lined up, or re-evaluate your desire to attend medical school.i

okay, I hardly think this is the place I need to explain myself, but comments about not studying enough force me to do so. the 3rd quarter of physics was really really hard at my school and I did study. I didn't get any other Cs throughout college. I got an A- and a B+ in the other Physics quarters...

My Question is though, Since some schools have the pre-req of 1 year of Physics will they discount my application if I have below a C (a C-) in ONE of those pre-reqs?

If anyone knows please let me know.

I have all C's in first year BIOLOGY, mind you, and I am still applying. I don't know if you can compare it to physics though. I had to work extra hard in the upper Bio classes just to show em that I can handle med school. So that meant having to ace both Orgo and Biochem classes which I did.

I don't know how you can "make up" for one bad physics class. Why did this happen? Is it just hard? Teh physics classes at my school get gradually harder, and NOT easier like the other poster said. So I can empathize. When are you applying? You might still have time to make it better if you haven't taken the MCAT yet. All you have to do is do well on PS (yeah, easy said, right?) I don't think one C on your transcript will hurt you...but I am only in the beginning of the app process. Hope i helped you atleast *a bit* even if it made you feel better about your one C compared to like 10 of mine. LOL

Good luck!!
Tweetie

does anyone else have any experience with this? Been accepted with any C- in prereqs?

Okay, if you're going to retain your sanity throughout this process you MUST, and I repeat MUST calm down. You thought preparing to go to med school up to now was tough? Just wait. The application year (for most of us anyway) is just a string of stressful months that seems to go on forever! Don't stress about ONE grade!!! There are people on this board who have Fs on their transcript, multiple Fs in fact, and they got in! Since it's your only "bad" grade, you should be prepared to be asked about it in interviews. Just be ready with a good response. If you're really, really worried about it, call some schools and ask if a C- is "passing" to them. Problem solved.

BTW Don't listen to The Rock. I C- does not mean you cannot handle med school. I think that's the most ridiculous post I have ever read. You just gotta smile at these people and shake your head.

Dont worry about one C!!! The first thing i would do is ask your pre-med advisor this question.... she/he would know for sure whether the schools would really care. and that person can better evaluate your overall potential to get in--med schools DO look at the entire picture and there is no reason for you to post your AMCAS application on SDN :)

second, i would have an answer ready when they ask you during the interview phase things like--what would you do differently during college, etc.... a friend of mine had a C in first semester physics and when an interviewer asked what she would do differently about college she gave her spin as follows: While I would not take away from any of the EC activiteis I enjoyed in college, and while I would not take away from my enjoyment of my undergrad years, I wished I put more emphasis into aspects of my coursework then i did at the time. (all of this, i might add, was very true in her case... you need to find something that works for you)

That way, you are accepting responsibility for your actions, recognizing your "mistake" but still holding your head high and not regretting decisions that you made.... does that make any sense??

anyway, if it makes you feel better her interviewers response was that she didnt consider a 1 C in physics a big deal :)

basically, relax, talk to your pre-med advisor, and, if possible, ace the MCATs!!!

Originally posted by Wednesday

BTW Don't listen to The Rock. I C- does not mean you cannot handle med school. I think that's the most ridiculous post I have ever read. You just gotta smile at these people and shake your head.

Your response indicates no thought to my constructive comments. I brought up the issue of priorities and their importance. When you finish puberty and then college, you should have your priorities straignt. I was merely asking the OP to examine her priorities. Priorities are important for any career. I attend what many would consider a top undergrad institution, and my opinion is that it is relatively impossible to get a C in any class if your priorities are straight. I'm not trying to brag, but this is the reason for what others would consider my academic success. I have only received one B in college, and it was simply because my priorities were not straight. My advice to the OP is simply to examine her priorities.

in case anyone cares, last time i checked 'humility' is also a prereq for becoming a good doctor.

Your thoughts were not constructive....... They were meant to try to make her feel bad. If you want to have such a bad attitude about everyone else, then keep it to yourself.