C- in pre-req questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpictetusInATightSpot

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a tight spot. I got less than a C in a pre-requisite course. It was a course with an integrated lab on the semester system.

To avoid limiting my options, I retook the lecture portion of this same course on the quarter system and did well. Now I'm deciding whether or not to retake the accompanying lab. A course equivalency expert told me taking a quarter each of the lecture and the lab would be the equivalent of the semester version of this course that I got less than a C in.

However, I don't want to take the lab due to the significant time and money costs (~8 hours a week + $600 in lost revenue + $200 in parking + the cost of the lab itself). So I am trying to more thoroughly evaluate the pros and cons of taking vs. not taking the lab.

Questions:

1. I have gone to the admissions sites of most of the schools I plan to apply to. None of them mention anything about requiring a C or greater in pre-reqs. Do you know of any schools that require this?

2. I heard that some schools can admit you even with less than a C in a prereq, but that they won't let you matriculate until you've gotten a C or better in all prereqs. I also heard that the only way to check which schools have this policy is to read their admissions site AND their student handbooks. Is that true? Do I have to read the student handbook too for each school I'm planning to apply to?

3. Any other advice about the situation you think I should hear?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Revenue? Interesting word, but I get what you mean.

If it’s <C retake. Don’t hedge your bets in a high stakes game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I have gone to the admissions sites of most of the schools I plan to apply to. None of them mention anything about requiring a C or greater in pre-reqs. Do you know of any schools that require this?
You should check the MSAR rather than the admissions website to get information about their prereq course requirements. If that doesn't spell it out clearly, it's best to send the admissions office an e-mail asking for clarification. Where it might impact your education and future, you don't want ambiguity. I agree with @Forever Geebs, though: you're likely going to need to retake that lab.

2. I heard that some schools can admit you even with less than a C in a prereq, but that they won't let you matriculate until you've gotten a C or better in all prereqs. I also heard that the only way to check which schools have this policy is to read their admissions site AND their student handbooks. Is that true? Do I have to read the student handbook too for each school I'm planning to apply to?
Again, e-mail them and ask.

3. Any other advice about the situation you think I should hear?
The MSAR is your friend in this, and the admissions offices can give you a definitive answer if the MSAR is wanting. Also, read this: Simple rules for retaking courses.

Thank you for your help.
You're welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much, @Forever Geebs and @HomeSkool.

I have now checked the MSAR for all the schools on my list. I also rechecked all their admissions sites. One of the schools (U o Pittsburgh SOM) uses the "successful completion" phrasing that you mentioned, @HomeSkool. I emailed their admissions department for clarification.

Interestingly, at least one school seems to have recently changed its policy on this. As recently as summer 2017, Temple used to say on their website:

"Applicants who have not completed the premedical requirements at the time of application will be placed on hold until receipt of transcripts indicating successful completion of prerequisites."

However, since then, they appear to have removed that phrase from their website and all mention of that policy. Now they say, "there are no absolute course requirements".

I tried to include links for the sources of those quotes, but I can't post links yet.

Last edited: