C in summer ochem as post-bac -- retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burlypie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after feeling like an..I don't know what...for a week, I have to accept it. Taking ochem in the summer was a stupid idea and I came out of it with a C+. Someone once wrote in here that a post-bac C is like an undergrad F, and that has me freaked out. ANy truth to this?

Anyway, should I reatke that class in the fall so I have a chance to actually learn and understand the material, and have a fighting chance to do well in ochem 2?

What is this going to look like on my transcripts? (I never had a grade in my undergrad...UCSC...and so only have my postbac classes counting toward the GPA and this C makes it look really bad!) Any success stories despite less than perfect grades?

Thanks for any words of wisdom...

Members don't see this ad.

so, from what I understand....you're a postbacc, and this is the FIRST time you took o-chem? if thats true, then don't panic....just work your ASS off this semester coming up, and don't let any grades get below a B. Getting a C if you're a postbacc is like an F if you've taken it twice...that would be bad...if this is your first time, suck it up and come back swinging this fall. I was a postbacc and I *almost* let my biochem grade slip....I worked my ass off for that final to get a B- in the course (not good, but better than that C I was gonna get)....but the other grades were good, so try and put it behind you and kick ass this fall!!! :clap:

No - go right into Orgo II. I found them almost completely unconnected and aced 2 while barely passing 1. Take MORE SCIENCE CLASSES- don't go taking quantum molecular mechanics, take some low level bio or chem that you will do well in. If you have very few grades, one C could really kill that cumGPA, so dilute it out. Good luck. --Trek

I agree, put the C behind you and move on to the second part of O-chem. I had less than perfect grades in Gen. Chem (C's actually), but got A's in O-Chem and then P-Chem and ultimately accepted to UCI. You still have a chance, if need be, you can explain why you got the C in your personal statement. Of course do your best and strive for those A's, but it also helps if you take P-Chem and/or Biochem if you can to show that you can hack the sciences in spite of one less than flattering grade. Your post-bac grades are important, but also important is the pattern of classes you take as a post-bac... the heavier the load, the better you'll appear ready for the rigorous med curriculum. Just my two cents.