C in summer ochem as post-bac -- retake?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by burlypie, Jul 21, 2002.

1. burlypie

burlypie Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So after feeling like an..I don't know what...for a week, I have to accept it. Taking ochem in the summer was a stupid idea and I came out of it with a C+. Someone once wrote in here that a post-bac C is like an undergrad F, and that has me freaked out. ANy truth to this?

Anyway, should I reatke that class in the fall so I have a chance to actually learn and understand the material, and have a fighting chance to do well in ochem 2?

What is this going to look like on my transcripts? (I never had a grade in my undergrad...UCSC...and so only have my postbac classes counting toward the GPA and this C makes it look really bad!) Any success stories despite less than perfect grades?

Thanks for any words of wisdom...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members

so, from what I understand....you're a postbacc, and this is the FIRST time you took o-chem? if thats true, then don't panic....just work your ASS off this semester coming up, and don't let any grades get below a B. Getting a C if you're a postbacc is like an F if you've taken it twice...that would be bad...if this is your first time, suck it up and come back swinging this fall. I was a postbacc and I *almost* let my biochem grade slip....I worked my ass off for that final to get a B- in the course (not good, but better than that C I was gonna get)....but the other grades were good, so try and put it behind you and kick ass this fall!!! :clap:

4. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

No - go right into Orgo II. I found them almost completely unconnected and aced 2 while barely passing 1. Take MORE SCIENCE CLASSES- don't go taking quantum molecular mechanics, take some low level bio or chem that you will do well in. If you have very few grades, one C could really kill that cumGPA, so dilute it out. Good luck. --Trek

5. md_student2b

md_student2b Member

I agree, put the C behind you and move on to the second part of O-chem. I had less than perfect grades in Gen. Chem (C's actually), but got A's in O-Chem and then P-Chem and ultimately accepted to UCI. You still have a chance, if need be, you can explain why you got the C in your personal statement. Of course do your best and strive for those A's, but it also helps if you take P-Chem and/or Biochem if you can to show that you can hack the sciences in spite of one less than flattering grade. Your post-bac grades are important, but also important is the pattern of classes you take as a post-bac... the heavier the load, the better you'll appear ready for the rigorous med curriculum. Just my two cents.