c/o 2018 applicant stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skierbum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your stats here if you've applied already!! I hope this will be helpful to future applicants. attachFull181102 Use the template below.
-cGPA:
-sGPA:
-MCAT:
-AACPMAS Mailing Date:

-Applied:
-Interview Offers:
-Interviewed at:
-Accepted:
-Final choice:

Also interview advice if anything sticks out or scholarships if this applies to you. What drew you to your final choice, if you had multiple offers?

For those that may be just beginning to explore the different schools, the absolute best resource is the guide put out at: http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/CIB_2013_Update.pdf
The purpose of everyone posting is particularly for those who may have slightly higher GPAs and a lower MCAT or vice versa to get an idea of how schools handled it. Also what drew you to your final choice may be helpful for students deciding where to apply. Thanks in advance!

Finally for whatever reason if you want to contribute and don't want your GPA linked to your username, I would be happy to anonymously post for you. Simply message me and I will take care of it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-8_21-14-33.png
    upload_2014-5-8_21-14-33.png
    95 bytes · Views: 65
Messaged to me:
cGPA: 2.85
sGPA: 2.62
MCAT: 25 (7 PS/8 VR/10 BS)
Date mailed: February

Applied: All but AZPod and CSPM
Interviews granted: NYCPM (declined interview), Barry, Temple, Western
Rejected without interview: DMU, Kent (both have automatic rejections for sub 2.75 sGPA)
Still waiting for response: Scholl
Accepted: Barry, Temple
Waitlisted: Western

Will be attending Barry

Scholarships offered at Temple and Barry.

Reactions: 1 user
cGPA: 3.29
-sGPA:3.3
-MCAT:22 (8VR,8BS,6PS)
-AACPMAS Mailing Date: January

-Applied: DMU
-Interview Offers: DMU
-Interviewed at: DMU
-Accepted: Placed on Alternate list
-Final choice: will be DMU if an open seat comes up

Members don't see this ad :)
-cGPA: 3.89
-sGPA: 4.0
-MCAT: 25 (10 PS, 8 VR, 7 BS)
-AACPMAS Mailing Date: March

-Applied: Western only
-Interview Offers: Western
-Interviewed at: Western
-Accepted: Western with scholarship
-Final choice: Western

-cGPA: 3.4
-sGPA: 2.95
-MCAT: 28 (8 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)
-AACPMAS Mailing Date: October

-Applied:
AZPOD, Western, DMU, Kent, Scholl, CSPM
-Interview Offers:
All
-Interviewed at: AZPOD
-Accepted: AZPOD
-Final choice: AZPOD

What about the rest of the application? Like extracurricular activities and the personal statement...

-cGPA: 3.89
-sGPA: 4.0
-MCAT: 25 (10 PS, 8 VR, 7 BS)
-AACPMAS Mailing Date: March

-Applied: Western only
-Interview Offers: Western
-Interviewed at: Western
-Accepted: Western with scholarship
-Final choice: Western
I'm genuinely curious, how does someone obtain a 4.0 sGPA and only manage a 25 on the MCAT and a 7 in BS? That makes no sense at all

Reactions: 1 user
I'm genuinely curious, how does someone obtain a 4.0 sGPA and only manage a 25 on the MCAT and a 7 in BS? That makes no sense at all
Well, let me start off by saying that I'm a post-bacc student so I have only taken the pre-req classes that are required which includes 2 general bio classes. I was very sick the day of my mcat and totally out of it. I had decided to take the mcat at 1 pm and I'm a morning person, so by the time 4 pm hit and it was time for bio I was totally worn out. On top of that my bio section was heavily genetics oriented and thats my weak spot. I had never scored lower that 12 on Bs when I took the practice exams. Basically by the end of the exam I left one whole passage blank and I had told myself no matter what I'm going to submit it and I did. Does it make better sense now?

The MCAT is overvalued in my opinion. Yes it is a very important test but it isn't enough to tell you if your going to make it through MD,DO, OR DPM school. To me your GPA is more important because it shows how committed you were to studying year after year. In my case I have a 3.7 GPA and I didn't put in as much effort into studying the MCAT as I should have but I had some circumstances I had to deal with and ended up getting a 20. I'm not proud of that score but I have no doubt that I will succeed in podiatry school. The admission departments at 8/9 schools didn't have much doubt either. So don't expect an exact correlation between GPA and MCAT scores. GPA is without a doubt more important but the MCAT is an important test too. I just believe too much emphasis is placed on it.

I think ideally GPA is designed to reflect effort over a 4 year undergraduate stint, but we're all cognizant of the disparities amongst different universities in both difficulty and grading methods. The MCAT is a standardized exam, but definitely isn't perfect either. Podiatry is great because it matriculates some students who have less than stellar undergrad GPA or MCAT performances. Everyone gets a chance to start fresh. What we as students choose to do with the opportunity rests on our shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users