- Home
- Forums
- Dental Communities (DDS and DMD)
- Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists
- Military Dentistry
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)
Started by distressstudent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey guys,
I'm interested in applying for the HPSP. If all the AF 4 year scholarships are already gone and OP recommends applying for the 4 year scholarship no later than June, should I assume that all the 4 year scholarships are gone for both Navy & Army branches as well?
I'll be taking my DAT in about 2 weeks so I'm already late in general 🙁
I'm interested in applying for the HPSP. If all the AF 4 year scholarships are already gone and OP recommends applying for the 4 year scholarship no later than June, should I assume that all the 4 year scholarships are gone for both Navy & Army branches as well?
I'll be taking my DAT in about 2 weeks so I'm already late in general 🙁
No.Hey guys,
I'm interested in applying for the HPSP. If all the AF 4 year scholarships are already gone and OP recommends applying for the 4 year scholarship no later than June, should I assume that all the 4 year scholarships are gone for both Navy & Army branches as well?
I'll be taking my DAT in about 2 weeks so I'm already late in general 🙁
AF is just always early (because they always do MEPS after selection) . Navy and Army havent had their board selection yet. Contact a recruiter asap and see what he says.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No.
AF is just always early (because they always do MEPS after selection) . Navy and Army havent had their board selection yet. Contact a recruiter asap and see what he says.
Thank you!
Damn, just finished my motivational statement. So excited for this opportunity
I've got an appointment on Monday with a navy recruiter however, so hopefully that all works out. Still chasing the dream of being able to serve and go to dental school for free haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What did you wear to your meeting with your recruiter? I am meeting with mine for the first time tomorrow, and I am unsure of what type of attire is expected? I know I should dress professionally, but do they expect a suit?
uhn...I was in short and Tshirt…What did you wear to your meeting with your recruiter? I am meeting with mine for the first time tomorrow, and I am unsure of what type of attire is expected? I know I should dress professionally, but do they expect a suit?
Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile
Okay haha that makes me feel a lot less nervous then. I honestly had no idea if this was taken in consideration for the actual decision or not, but thanks for the quick response! I am going to dress a lot more casually.
Pants/dark jean with shirt should be fine in my opinion, my case might be a bad example, but no need to be too stressful for the dressing part. Providing them all the files and documents is important.Okay haha that makes me feel a lot less nervous then. I honestly had no idea if this was taken in consideration for the actual decision or not, but thanks for the quick response! I am going to dress a lot more casually.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile
I have a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.74 science GPA. My DAT scores are 20AA/19TS/19PAT/23RC
100 hrs shadowing, division 1 soccer player, captain of my semi pro team, 60 ish hours of volunteering, and I was in the MLS Draft (soccer equivalent of NBA and NFL draft). Any idea of how my experience as a soccer player/being a captain will impact my chances?
100 hrs shadowing, division 1 soccer player, captain of my semi pro team, 60 ish hours of volunteering, and I was in the MLS Draft (soccer equivalent of NBA and NFL draft). Any idea of how my experience as a soccer player/being a captain will impact my chances?
I have a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.74 science GPA. My DAT scores are 20AA/19TS/19PAT/23RC
100 hrs shadowing, division 1 soccer player, captain of my semi pro team, 60 ish hours of volunteering, and I was in the MLS Draft (soccer equivalent of NBA and NFL draft). Any idea of how my experience as a soccer player/being a captain will impact my chances?
Will greatly improve your chances due to your leadership experiences. I'd say you had a good shot even without all of your extracurriculars.
EDIT: Which branch?
Will greatly improve your chances due to your leadership experiences. I'd say you had a good shot even without all of your extracurriculars.
EDIT: Which branch?
That is good to hear, thank you! And I am applying through the Navy. Do by chance know what is required to acquire your medical records? Any idea whether an individual's general physician would have all of the records?
Which branch for you?
That is good to hear, thank you! And I am applying through the Navy. Do by chance know what is required to acquire your medical records? Any idea whether an individual's general physician would have all of the records?
Which branch for you?
I am in the Navy. Good luck!
What records do you need? Did you fill out the medical history form given to you by the recruiter? That should tell you what records you'll need. For me, it was simple fractures and third molars, and they were hard to come by. They actually threw out my need for the third molar surgery because the records weren't obtainable anymore.
I am in the Navy. Good luck!
What records do you need? Did you fill out the medical history form given to you by the recruiter? That should tell you what records you'll need. For me, it was simple fractures and third molars, and they were hard to come by. They actually threw out my need for the third molar surgery because the records weren't obtainable anymore.
That is awesome, thank you!
I actually just received them, but I wasn't sure if I needed all of my medical records (including General visits). Thank you for all of the help and advice.
That is awesome, thank you!
I actually just received them, but I wasn't sure if I needed all of my medical records (including General visits). Thank you for all of the help and advice.
Best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I applied for Navy HPSP and I was told by my recruiter today that October board meeting has been cancelled and the first one would be in November. Can someone confirm this for me?
So I applied for Navy HPSP and I was told by my recruiter today that October board meeting has been cancelled and the first one would be in November. Can someone confirm this for me?
First one was in September (22AA+ required on the DAT). Is your recruiter not aware of that?
I have no idea.. she seems very busy these days and I JUST got everything finished. She did not say the Nov. one is the first one because I asked if I will be in the October board and she said October one is cancelled and I will likely be in the Nov. board.First one was in September (22AA+ required on the DAT). Is your recruiter not aware of that?
Can I PM you to ask something?
Update for all- I contacted my Navy recruiter and learned the following:
- September board (the 22+ DAT required board) has been cancelled. No Navy HPSP 4-year dental scholarships have been given out yet.
- October board will now be the 22+ DAT required board.
- Applications for the October board must be submitted by Oct. 1 so that there is plenty of time for quality control checks before the application actually reaches the selection Board (mid to late October)
- Notification should happen by Thanksgiving.
Can I PM you to ask something?
C'mon man....you know the answer to this question. Your messages are always welcome in my inbox 🙂
According to my recruiter, I thought october board was cancelled as well...
- October board will now be the 22+ DAT required board.
- Applications for the October board must be submitted by Oct. 1 so that there is plenty of time for quality control checks before the application actually reaches the selection Board (mid to late October)
EDIT: nvm what I said. She just confirmed the October board meeting
Last edited:
Was told there would be around 65 4-year spots for Army.
I'm applying HPSP Army so I'll go ahead and get in on this thread. I've already gone through MEPS, wrote my essay and filled out the app and will be sending it to my recruiters after the weekend. How am I looking as far as the timeline goes for this year?
Also, after skimming through last years thread it looks like the army waits until February before letting us know if we are accepted. If you get multiple Dec 1'st acceptances do you plan to put down more than one deposit if your first choice school is more expensive than another than accepts you?
sigh.... is this first board in Nov. still going to be only for 22+ applicants?All,
Navy's first Board has been pushed back again and will be in November.
sigh.... is this first board in Nov. still going to be only for 22+ applicants?
No idea. Your stats are awesome. I mean, you've got a 23AA!!!! I think you'll get picked up for the HPSP.
In other news- here we go: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...el-held-territory-in-yemen-at-u-s-navy-ships/
Proud of our Navy.
If anyone is curious what a Tomahawk launch looks like:
No idea. Your stats are awesome. I mean, you've got a 23AA!!!! I think you'll get picked up for the HPSP.
In other news- here we go: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...el-held-territory-in-yemen-at-u-s-navy-ships/
Proud of our Navy.
If anyone is curious what a Tomahawk launch looks like:
haha thanks for encouraging, but I'm only getting anxious because my GPA is on the low side 3.35 oGPA and 3.40 grad GPA.
@Incis0r so I just spoke with my recruiter and she hasn't been informed about the cancellation of October board meeting, which was suppose to be today (10/18). I hope it happend. Btw, 61 Navy 4-year HPSP are available this year
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Incis0r so I just spoke with my recruiter and she hasn't been informed about the cancellation of October board meeting, which was suppose to be today (10/18). I hope it happend. Btw, 61 Navy 4-year HPSP are available this year
Ask your recruiter to personally confirm with the Program Manager.
Navy 4-year HPSP
Is that less than normally or about the same?
I heard last year was 61 as well.Is that less than normally or about the same?
UPDATE: 4-year Navy HPSP first board meeting will be held on November 15th.
I'm hoping for the best birthday present 🙂
I'm hoping for the best birthday present 🙂
UPDATE: 4-year Navy HPSP first board meeting will be held on November 15th.
I'm hoping for the best birthday present 🙂
That's only for DATs of 22+ right?
UPDATE: 4-year Navy HPSP first board meeting will be held on November 15th.
I'm hoping for the best birthday present 🙂
Congrats! Did your recruiter also give you the date that results would come out?
I'm assuming Yes, since people going through this board will be hearing back before our official acceptances on Dec. 1stThat's only for DATs of 22+ right?
She did not provide me with exact dates, but she said within about a week after the board meeting!Congrats! Did your recruiter also give you the date that results would come out?
Ready to celebrate Incisor?
got done with meps today and now i'm just waiting to get scheduled for 2 interviews with naval dentists... for those of you who already had your interviews how'd it go? did they grill you why you wanted to join? how intense was it? i've got everything else completed, so this is the final thing i'm waiting on... keeping my fingers crossed haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Has anyone heard any updates?
I'm glad I applied army and don't have the interview. I felt like writing the personal essay was hard enough since I didn't really know what those guys were looking for.
got done with meps today and now i'm just waiting to get scheduled for 2 interviews with naval dentists... for those of you who already had your interviews how'd it go? did they grill you why you wanted to join? how intense was it? i've got everything else completed, so this is the final thing i'm waiting on... keeping my fingers crossed haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm glad I applied army and don't have the interview. I felt like writing the personal essay was hard enough since I didn't really know what those guys were looking for.
got done with meps today and now i'm just waiting to get scheduled for 2 interviews with naval dentists... for those of you who already had your interviews how'd it go? did they grill you why you wanted to join? how intense was it? i've got everything else completed, so this is the final thing i'm waiting on... keeping my fingers crossed haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on finishing MEPS!!! Interviews were very relaxed. 15-20min long each. They just want to get to know you better. No grilling at all.
Yea my interviews were very relaxed as well. First interview, we did it just over the phone and I thought it was going to happen via skype or something and I was already all dressed up. Second interview was through facetime.got done with meps today and now i'm just waiting to get scheduled for 2 interviews with naval dentists... for those of you who already had your interviews how'd it go? did they grill you why you wanted to join? how intense was it? i've got everything else completed, so this is the final thing i'm waiting on... keeping my fingers crossed haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
^Agreed.
@Tastemyrage , interviews were really nice experiences (at least for me). The two Officers who interviewed me are senior officers in the Dental Corps and they've done just about everything. Ships, Marines, you name it. It was a nice, genuine conversation and I didn't feel grilled at all. Plan on 15-20 mins per interview.
So it was good to hear from them about their experiences, why they made the decisions they did, etc.
They also gave me their personal contact information if I ever need anything.
Edit: just saw I already posted about interviews a couple of posts back. Oh well, let this stand as further elaboration.
In-case anyone is thinking of Air Force for the future
Also, my Air Force interview was in-person and I spent 2.5 hours with the Air Force dentist. That was also fun- The dentist showed me the equipment, told me about her deployments, etc. PLUS I GOT TO GO ON AN AIR FORCE BASE. How cool is that? How many dentists can say they've been on an Air Force base?
@Tastemyrage , interviews were really nice experiences (at least for me). The two Officers who interviewed me are senior officers in the Dental Corps and they've done just about everything. Ships, Marines, you name it. It was a nice, genuine conversation and I didn't feel grilled at all. Plan on 15-20 mins per interview.
So it was good to hear from them about their experiences, why they made the decisions they did, etc.
They also gave me their personal contact information if I ever need anything.
Edit: just saw I already posted about interviews a couple of posts back. Oh well, let this stand as further elaboration.
In-case anyone is thinking of Air Force for the future
Also, my Air Force interview was in-person and I spent 2.5 hours with the Air Force dentist. That was also fun- The dentist showed me the equipment, told me about her deployments, etc. PLUS I GOT TO GO ON AN AIR FORCE BASE. How cool is that? How many dentists can say they've been on an Air Force base?
Last edited:
got done with meps today and now i'm just waiting to get scheduled for 2 interviews with naval dentists... for those of you who already had your interviews how'd it go? did they grill you why you wanted to join? how intense was it? i've got everything else completed, so this is the final thing i'm waiting on... keeping my fingers crossed haha
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What does MEPS consist of? How long does it usually take?
Mine lasted 6-7 hours, can vary. Blood, pee was collected (they have to see it), vision and auditory tests. Physician will also check your front and backside. You also have to do some random body movements in your underwear with the group
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does MEPS consist of? How long does it usually take?
Here is my experience:
1) Arrived at the MEPS by 5:30 a.m.
2) Went through security, get processed in by the front desk, etc. (30 min)
3) Went to medical wing, get BP/Pulse, Vision, and Hearing Tests done (1 hour)
4) Went to classroom where we had to fill out additional medical forms (1 hour)
5) Went through medical stations (urine test while they watch, blood draw, strip to underwear + height/weight check, and then physical exam with doctor) (2 hours).
6) Process out from front desk & go say hi to recruiter (30 min)
I was out of there by 10:30am (5 hours total). They were yelling a lot at all of us, but once word got out that I was an Officer Candidate (the receptionist saw on her computer and then told the others I guess), they became mellow towards me.
And a public service announcement for anyone who hasn't had MEPS yet. I don't know what your recruiter told you but mine told me to drink a TON of water before I left for MEPS so I did. Little did I know that it would be a LONG time before the piss test. I repeatedly had to raise my hand to ask to go to the bathroom, everyone laughed at me, don't be like me...
Did any of you have problems with the depth perception test, but still get approved without having to get a waiver?
Did any of you have problems with the depth perception test, but still get approved without having to get a waiver?
Yep- depth perception is not a requirement for dentists.
Last edited:
Did any of you have problems with the depth perception test, but still get approved without having to get a waiver?
No wonder how I passed MEPS. I'm pretty sure I failed the depth perception test lolYep- depth perception is not a requirement for dentists.