C or W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh2002ny

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better for a sophomore to withdraw from a class rather than take a C? It's a political science class that I didn't really put any effort into and didn't hand in a paper worth 10% of the grade, so it looks like I'll be getting a C if I stick with it. Since it's a non-science class, I'm not sure how important it is. So would it look better to withdraw or take the C for my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my ill-informed advice:

If your GPA can handle it, consider taking the C. If you don't have any previous withdraws, it probably won't look too bad on the old transcript if you drop (so long as you don't go under full time). I dropped an honors humanities class my sophmore year because I was taking 23 hours and my prof was a nut. It was my only W, and I was not asked about it at any interviews. I, personally would drop if you meet the above criteria. However, everyone will have their own opinion on this matter. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Withdraw from the course... no point in hurting your GPA with that course. Btw, I doubt it that when you apply, admissions people will look through your transcript with such a fine needle. A few Withdrawls on anyone's transcripts is fine... but a few C's may be considered bad judgment on your behalf.

withdraw

i have a W and it never came up. especially since it's not a science course...

a C, will hurt your GPA!

bonnie

but if they did ask you about it....you would have nothing good to say.

a C would seem a semi normal grade that would not raise a red flag as opposed to a W. a C usually doesnt come up in a convo (unless you have lots of them)

but i guess that goes for a W as well. but in my mind id just be more interested in that W if you didnt explain it anywhere else on your application. if you think about it...Cs have to be more common than Ws. a lot more.

if you take the C and that ends up being your only one...it wont even affect your gpa by all that much.

no brainer - take the W. don't make a habit of it.

C's kill your gpa. I had a couple based on medical problems and adcoms are obviously number crunching punks that don't care.

You get 0 points for effort.

The smart premed withdraws, period.