C vs. W grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myze

One day at a time...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a high C in anatomy (a mix of work, tough teachers, and lack of time!), and I was wondering ... should I just drop out and retake it another semester? I'd get a 'W' on my transcript.

And would these stats be realistic for a public state university? (CSU, I'm looking at you!)

Overall GPA: 3.34
prereq classes: 3.2
Volunteer hours: 300 (working as a PT aide)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When is the semester over? Is there any way to salvage it and still get a B (since you have a high C)?

If it were me: if there's a possibility to ace the rest of the semester and get in "B" territory, I would stay in the class. But if my job and overall lack of time would not make getting a B feasible and I had no other W's on my transcript, I would drop the class.

C's don't look so hot, and they lower your GPA. W's also don't look good, but they don't affect your GPA, and if you have only one, I wouldn't sweat it.

You mention Cal State: from what I gathered attending the info sessions at Cal State Long Beach and CSUN, they use an algorithm to rank students using their pre-req GPA, cumulative GPA, and GRE score. Pre-req GPA is given the most weight, so you really want this to be as high as possible. Observation hours, references and essay count on a more pass/fail basis (e.g., someone with a 4.0 didn't get into Long Beach because one of his references could not recommend him). They read applications in the order of algorithm ranking, so if an applicant's numbers aren't high, they might not get to it.

Your numbers, however, I would say are within range (e.g., CSUN last year admitted students off the waitlist who had a 3.35 prereq GPA and 3.2 cum GPA)... Have you taken the GRE yet? I high score on that would boost your algorithm score. Also, since San Diego's program is new and as yet unaccredited, perhaps getting in there won't be as competitive initially.

Good luck!

When is the semester over? Is there any way to salvage it and still get a B (since you have a high C)?

If it were me: if there's a possibility to ace the rest of the semester and get in "B" territory, I would stay in the class. But if my job and overall lack of time would not make getting a B feasible and I had no other W's on my transcript, I would drop the class.

C's don't look so hot, and they lower your GPA. W's also don't look good, but they don't affect your GPA, and if you have only one, I wouldn't sweat it.

You mention Cal State: from what I gathered attending the info sessions at Cal State Long Beach and CSUN, they use an algorithm to rank students using their pre-req GPA, cumulative GPA, and GRE score. Pre-req GPA is given the most weight, so you really want this to be as high as possible. Observation hours, references and essay count on a more pass/fail basis (e.g., someone with a 4.0 didn't get into Long Beach because one of his references could not recommend him). They read applications in the order of algorithm ranking, so if an applicant's numbers aren't high, they might not get to it.

Your numbers, however, I would say are within range (e.g., CSUN last year admitted students off the waitlist who had a 3.35 prereq GPA and 3.2 cum GPA)... Have you taken the GRE yet? I high score on that would boost your algorithm score. Also, since San Diego's program is new and as yet unaccredited, perhaps getting in there won't be as competitive initially.

Good luck!

It's been about 6 weeks since schools started, and I've already had a midterm, a practicum, and about 7 quizzes. There's a possibility that I might be able to get a low B, but is a B better than a W? Shouldn't I strive for an A since this anatomy is one of the more important classes?

regarding the CSU pass/fail - so it doesn't matter whether i get 100 hours or 500 hours? It's just a matter of pass and fail? Would it make a difference that I'm working as a physical therapy aide?

And I haven't taken the GRE. I've been meaning to do a practice, but between my two jobs, anatomy, and a new dog, it's hard to find the time. I'll try to set that up ASAP though!

And I'm looking forward to San Diego's program! Hopefully it won't be so competitive when I apply in 2013.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get a B and retake the anatomy class at a community college, could I use that CC grade (assuming I get an A) instead?

If I get a B and retake the anatomy class at a community college, could I use that CC grade (assuming I get an A) instead?
Some PT programs require that you take anatomy at a 4-year university, and not a community college, so keep that in mind.

One B isn't going to stop you from getting into PT school.

Also, about the 100 hours vs 500 hours thing: Most schools want to know that you are sure that PT is what you want to do with your life. Having observation/volunteer/aide hours gives you an idea of this. They also want to see that you have a variety of experience (in-patient, out-patient, orthopedics etc.). This will help for clinicals, and again to give you a better idea of the field of physical therapy.
500 hours does have more weight than 100 hours. However, I would assume 100-200 hours with varied experience is worth more than 500+ hours at only one PT setting. Some schools even require that you have experience at 3+ places.

Last edited:
is a B better than a W? Shouldn't I strive for an A since this anatomy is one of the more important classes?

regarding the CSU pass/fail - so it doesn't matter whether i get 100 hours or 500 hours? It's just a matter of pass and fail? Would it make a difference that I'm working as a physical therapy aide?

And I haven't taken the GRE. I've been meaning to do a practice, but between my two jobs, anatomy, and a new dog, it's hard to find the time. I'll try to set that up ASAP though!

And I'm looking forward to San Diego's program! Hopefully it won't be so competitive when I apply in 2013.

Are you applying next year for the Fall 2013 class or are you applying in 2013 for Fall 2014? If all the schools you apply to are Cal State, here's what I would do:

The key is to be very organized and to run the math for the various GPA scenarios, since getting into a Cal State is very much about numbers. It'll also benefit you to attend as many info sessions as possible; this way you can confirm exactly what each school is looking for (e.g. CSUSF/UCSF may have different emphases than Cal State Fresno). If you can't attend an info session, call or email their office and ask them what parts of the application they consider the most. From my experience, no one's coy about giving out this information.

Of course, you also want good references who know you well and who'll highly recommend you, and you'll need enough observation hours to pass muster. It's to your benefit to experience as many different environments as possible (inpatient, outpatient, SNF, ortho, peds, neuro, etc.) so when you get to your clinicals, you'll have some familiarity. From my understanding, however, these elements won't override low numbers, but if you "fail" in them in any respect (e.g., a reference doesn't recommend you or you don't have at least 100 observation hours), they will keep you out. Since you have a lot of hours and aide experience, I would ask each school if you get any "extra points" for this; I don't think anyone asked the question at the CSULB and CSUN sessions I attended, so I have no idea.

As far as shooting for a B in anatomy or taking the W and starting fresh next semester -- if it doesn't mess up your application schedule to take anatomy in the winter or spring, I would likely take the W now if I was only applying to Cal States (b/c of their emphasis on numbers). I would also run GPA scenarios to see how much getting a B would affect me if I got A's in everything else, and if the difference was negligible, I would perhaps stick it out. Cal States don't care where you take classes (as long as the school is accredited and the prereqs fulfill their requirements), so I would do prereqs at a community college if you think you would get better grades there.

Keep in mind, however, that some Cal States like Long Beach and CSUSF/UCSF require that all prereqs (all science prereqs?) be finished by the fall semester because they start in summer. I recommend doing a timeline of all the necessary classes to figure out exactly when they all need to be completed for each school.

As for the GRE -- try to get the highest numbers possible since the score figures into the algorithm (e.g., a high score can help mitigate a not-so-hot cum GPA). Take the test at a time that works best for your schedule -- studying can help a lot, so as long as you take it by the last date required for each school, there's no need to rush into it.

Good luck!

Are you applying next year for the Fall 2013 class or are you applying in 2013 for Fall 2014? If all the schools you apply to are Cal State, here's what I would do:

The key is to be very organized and to run the math for the various GPA scenarios, since getting into a Cal State is very much about numbers. It'll also benefit you to attend as many info sessions as possible; this way you can confirm exactly what each school is looking for (e.g. CSUSF/UCSF may have different emphases than Cal State Fresno). If you can't attend an info session, call or email their office and ask them what parts of the application they consider the most. From my experience, no one's coy about giving out this information.

Of course, you also want good references who know you well and who'll highly recommend you, and you'll need enough observation hours to pass muster. It's to your benefit to experience as many different environments as possible (inpatient, outpatient, SNF, ortho, peds, neuro, etc.) so when you get to your clinicals, you'll have some familiarity. From my understanding, however, these elements won't override low numbers, but if you "fail" in them in any respect (e.g., a reference doesn't recommend you or you don't have at least 100 observation hours), they will keep you out. Since you have a lot of hours and aide experience, I would ask each school if you get any "extra points" for this; I don't think anyone asked the question at the CSULB and CSUN sessions I attended, so I have no idea.

As far as shooting for a B in anatomy or taking the W and starting fresh next semester -- if it doesn't mess up your application schedule to take anatomy in the winter or spring, I would likely take the W now if I was only applying to Cal States (b/c of their emphasis on numbers). I would also run GPA scenarios to see how much getting a B would affect me if I got A's in everything else, and if the difference was negligible, I would perhaps stick it out. Cal States don't care where you take classes (as long as the school is accredited and the prereqs fulfill their requirements), so I would do prereqs at a community college if you think you would get better grades there.

Keep in mind, however, that some Cal States like Long Beach and CSUSF/UCSF require that all prereqs (all science prereqs?) be finished by the fall semester because they start in summer. I recommend doing a timeline of all the necessary classes to figure out exactly when they all need to be completed for each school.

As for the GRE -- try to get the highest numbers possible since the score figures into the algorithm (e.g., a high score can help mitigate a not-so-hot cum GPA). Take the test at a time that works best for your schedule -- studying can help a lot, so as long as you take it by the last date required for each school, there's no need to rush into it.

Good luck!

GPA: 3.74.

Classes I've taken:
statistics (A)
psychology (A)

Classes I'm currently taking:
Anatomy (B??)
Precalculus (Physics pre-req)

Classes I'll need to take later:
Physiology
Chem 111A + 111B
Physics 100A + Physics 100B
Microbio
Abnormal Psychology

Volunteer Hours: I've have ~100 hours, but I estimate by the time 2013 rolls along I'll have accumulated more than 300. I'll also be spending about 30 hours at an in-patient setting later next year)

GRE: In progress.

-----------

I plan to apply in 2013 or 2014 for the Fall semester after that. Hopefully that won't put me too behind.

And I just checked and according to the GPA calculator, as long as I get 3.3 for my prereq's (assuming I don't fail any of my major/GE classes), I'll be able to keep a 3.6 GPA. Would that be competitive? I checked the average for Cal State Long Beach (which i'm not applying too, I already go there for undergrad.) and it's 3.7 for Prereq's and around 3.5 for cumulative. I plan to apply to SFSU, SDSU (when the program opens), CSUF, and CSUN.

I'll definitely look into calling the physical therapy offices there though.

Thank you for the help :) I really appreciate it.

And i just looked into the costs of CSU's , and it's gotten way up since I last checked. Now it'll cost around 80,000 JUST FOR TUITION AND BOOKS for all three years... This doesn't include rent or food. Seems ridiculous considering that you're only paid about 70K a year. :\

And then I checked a local community college offering PTA for less than 3K. PTA's are paid around 40-50K a year here in California too. Plus, I'd only have to take my physiology class and an extra Eng100 before I can apply.

Oh the choices.

And then I checked a local community college offering PTA for less than 3K. PTA's are paid around 40-50K a year here in California too. Plus, I'd only have to take my physiology class and an extra Eng100 before I can apply.

Oh the choices.

I, too, had the debate between PTA and DPT-- I honestly made a HUGE pros/cons list for both; but ultimately it was a PT that is a family friend that pushed me to "go all the way". PTAs make a great living and a lot of times they are independent from their bosses/head PTs. There's a girl in my class right now who is a PTA and she goes to patient's homes by herself (I believe she has some type of certification or something that allows her to do this? Kind of like PT's direct access...) but in the same respect when she would ask "Well why are we doing this?" the PTs would tell her not to worry about it and just give the person stim and heat.

So, it depends on how much you crave the knowledge- if you want to be the one diagnosing and making the decisions/care plan, then go DPT- if you are happy working with patients and just doing what you're told, then go PTA.

But, seriously, I would make a pros/cons list of both-- consider time, cost, future job security, etc. :)

So, it depends on how much you crave the knowledge- if you want to be the one diagnosing and making the decisions/care plan, then go DPT- if you are happy working with patients and just doing what you're told, then go PTA.

But, seriously, I would make a pros/cons list of both-- consider time, cost, future job security, etc. :)

I've found that I'm pretty much a "do what you're told" kind of person, but I can easily step up into a leadership role if need be. I saw the physical therapist I was working under diagnosing and making plans for the patient, and I definitely wouldn't mind doing that too.

And from my observations, the major differences besides that was the workload. The PTA was usually pretty swamped with patients, whereas the PT had just one patient at a time.

In the end, I just want something that's stable, is relatively non-stressful, and has good job security.

PT v PTA:

PT:
time: 4-5 years.
debt: $100K
salary: $75K

PTA:
time: 2-3 years.
debt: $4000
salary: 45K

Does anyone here know how it's like getting a job as a PTA?

Last edited:
PT v PTA:

PT:

PTA:
time: 2-3 years.
debt: $4000
salary: 45K

Does anyone here know how it's like getting a job as a PTA?

A doctorates in PT in 4 years from start to finish? The earliest I've heard is 6 years, with an average of a little over 7. Furthermore, $4,000 seems really low for 3 years in school, even at a community college.

PT v PTA:

PT:

Since when did it take 4-5 years to become a DPT? Last time I checked, the programs I'm applying to are only 2.5-3 years. :confused:

$4,000 seems really low for 3 years in school, even at a community college.

In Cali, if you go to a community college (e.g., Cerritos) for your PTA associate's degree, it would cost ~$2500, which includes books, fees, uniforms and supplies but doesn't include living expenses.

Private school (e.g., Loma Linda) would cost significantly more, around $24K.

Since when did it take 4-5 years to become a DPT? Last time I checked, the programs I'm applying to are only 2.5-3 years. :confused:

The 6-7+ year estimate includes the time spent getting a bachelor's degree.

-

Last edited: