CA-1 Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkyfaroh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to approach getting a spot in Anesthesiology after matching into a Prelim program? I matched to a prelim in Cali, so should I look for PGY 2 positions mainly in there or broaden my approach throughout the year? Should I re-enter the match next year? Just looking for different approaches to maximize my chances for next year. I don't want to lose any time and am grateful to have at least matched into Prelim. Congrats to all that matched.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to approach getting a spot in Anesthesiology after matching into a Prelim program? I matched to a prelim in Cali, so should I look for PGY 2 positions mainly in there or broaden my approach throughout the year? Should I re-enter the match next year? Just looking for different approaches to maximize my chances for next year. I don't want to lose any time and am grateful to have at least matched into Prelim. Congrats to all that matched.

Most larger programs keep positions open for people like this. There is also a small percentage of applicants that jump the match and never start their residencies.
I personally would let the program you are interested in going to know of your circumstances. There is a very small chance that they will have a position between now and D-Day.
Once your residency starts, have your program director or someone who is well connected call programs that generally have CA-1 positions open and inquire for you and put in a good word about you.

Best of luck! I think you should keep us posted for all future SDNers.

you mentioned that some jump the match and never start their program. I was wondering if you had any examples. I was trying to search on the forums here but all I could find were people who were considering doing that or had signed outside the match but no one who had actually gone through with it. Any info would be great, feel free to pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
you mentioned that some jump the match and never start their program. I was wondering if you had any examples. I was trying to search on the forums here but all I could find were people who were considering doing that or had signed outside the match but no one who had actually gone through with it. Any info would be great, feel free to pm me.

All I can specifically remember is rumors. I think (but don't quote me on this) that Florida a few years ago had someone jump the match (because they died) and when I interviewed there a few years ago that person mentioned it. Maybe someone can confirm it on these boards.

Best of luck

hmm...i don't want to die. thanks for the info though...congrats on the match
All I can specifically remember is rumors. I think (but don't quote me on this) that Florida a few years ago had someone jump the match (because they died) and when I interviewed there a few years ago that person mentioned it. Maybe someone can confirm it on these boards.

Best of luck

Most larger programs keep positions open for people like this. There is also a small percentage of applicants that jump the match and never start their residencies.
I personally would let the program you are interested in going to know of your circumstances. There is a very small chance that they will have a position between now and D-Day.
Once your residency starts, have your program director or someone who is well connected call programs that generally have CA-1 positions open and inquire for you and put in a good word about you.

Best of luck! I think you should keep us posted for all future SDNers.

I have a internship but no CA1 spot, so I appreciate the info. Thanks!:thumbup: