CA-1 spot for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meridith06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am nearly a third year in a very well established FP program and as I near the completion of my training I am toying with the idea of doing an Anesthesiology residency. Many think I'm crazy for wanting to endure several more years of the life/salary of a resident but in the long run I think this is a good decision for me. I am here basically for advice for how to proceed.

I have taken and done well on Step 3, have signed up for resident swap, I've done a few elective rotations with Anesthesiologists and I plan on applying through ERAS in the fall. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point. It's been a few years since I've gone through the match, is Anesthesiology increasingly competitve as each year goes along.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply through ERAS. Also, send a CV and cover letter to every anesthesia program you could possibly be interested in going to. Most of the CA1 2009 spots are gone already, but many programs have a space or two for those who want to switch in. Start now. Good luck.

I am nearly a third year in a very well established FP program and as I near the completion of my training I am toying with the idea of doing an Anesthesiology residency. Many think I'm crazy for wanting to endure several more years of the life/salary of a resident but in the long run I think this is a good decision for me. I am here basically for advice for how to proceed.

I have taken and done well on Step 3, have signed up for resident swap, I've done a few elective rotations with Anesthesiologists and I plan on applying through ERAS in the fall. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point. It's been a few years since I've gone through the match, is Anesthesiology increasingly competitve as each year goes along.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JUST FINISH FP first. Then you are so much better off because you can't guarantee gas. What if you don't like gas? Then are you going to try to go back to finish FP?

Risky. Just finish one residency when you're already so close. Doing gas after that is just fine.